• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The Fremelee movement has been going for about a month now and it doesn't seem to go anywhere, in fact it's getting worse with the Splatoon controversy being added (Which wouln't have happened if it wasn't for Fremelee anyway) plus other unrelated negative stuff about Nintendo that has been added recently to make people also support the cause. The thing is, what do you think will happen with the movement? Will Nintendo do anything? Will Melee fans give up and just have to wait until the end of the pandemic?.For what I can tell Nintendo doesn't seem to care about it at all and for that reason they haven't done anything despite the constant criticism in social media, and honestly since the main reason for the movement to exist (not the only one though) is letting Melee players use the Slippi mod in paid tournaments during the pandemic, I highly doubt Nintendo will ever allow them to do it considering how they see moded or fanmade content, it would need a complete change in some of their rules, and since this won't make them lose too many sales at all they have no real reason to do listen to them, but still it would be nice if maybe they can make an official Melee version with online even if it's an emulation and also end the other restrictions they give to the Melee community (which is the other reason why the movement exists), but since the movement has not been especifically about them asking for that I don't know if they even have thought about doing that, they probably see it as "let us pirate your old game for paid stuff"

EDIT: I already asked for the thread to be closed, but before that I already saw that the thread is overall too similar to one I did a couple of says ago so it wasn't necessary, so I apologize for doing something redundant

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Look at the strong positive reaction to sephiroth in smash, lol.

Nobody bar a tiny number of weirdos care at all about freemelee.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It'll fizzle out and die, then people will realize that they are able to stream Melee without Nintendo sponsoring any events and life will go on.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been a Smash fan so grain of salt etc, but, wouldn't it be simpler at this point for the Melee fanbase to raise money to create their own game that plays like Melee but without all the nintendo stuff in it? Kind of like what Valve did with Dota 2. It just seems to me like the constant push and pull with Nintendo is more headache than its worth.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Baity as f considering how big the smash community is :/

People care :(
Noting your average consumer does not care about an esports scene isnt really...notable.

The smash community is big.

The number of people who care about being able to mod a two decade old game to do online tournaments, that was already one of the weaker sellers in the series is not.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I've never been a Smash fan so grain of salt etc, but, wouldn't it be simpler at this point for the Melee fanbase to raise money to create their own game that plays like Melee but without all the nintendo stuff in it? Kind of like what Valve did with Dota 2. It just seems to me like the constant push and pull with Nintendo is more headache than its worth.
Could Nintendo just sue them for copying their mechanics? since Melee players like the game just how it is, a single change is not allowed and that's why many of them don't play the later Smash games or other similar games

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Absolutely nothing. Sephiroth's reveal last night showed that a) the vast majority of the Smash audience does not care about FreeMelee whatsoever, and b) that a lot of the people that did care have very short attention spans.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
It's going to be as big as the bring back national dex momevent.

Aka a bunch of crybabies gaining attention for 2 months tops to fade into obscurity after.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Could Nintendo just sue them for copying their mechanics? since Melee players like the game just how it is, a single change is not allowed and that's why many of them don't play the later Smash games or other similar games

I honestly have no idea, but if they ripped out all the Nintendo IP content, and created a frame-by-frame replica of the mechanics that was never actually sold as a product, Nintendo might at least be more willing to look the other way on it for tournaments etc.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

This has happened literally 4 times and they refuse to switch.

Like, I get the want to keep the game that you've been playing for damn near 20 years in the spotlight, but on the real, the parent company on the game has no interest in that and trying to host and foster a community, including doing things that keeps said community alive during a pandemic, is always going to be shaky ground. I know it sounds reductive of me, but there's a time where you really do have to think about moving to another game, especially when nintendo has made it fully clear that the have no interest in supporting your scene and will never engage with it.

Nintendo are the badguys here, but there's something to be said about walking away from the situation where you have to constantly interact with the badguys in order to stay successful.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai will personally visit the movement's most prominent figures, abase himself before them and beg for their forgiveness.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo will unfortunately continue to live in 1889. Smash tournaments will have to continue being an underground thing.

I guess users on this forum will outright insult and demean a vibrant and thriving community, too, based on responses this thread has already gotten. ):

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
You're not going to get Nintendo to suddenly change their minds on a mod that let's one of their games be played online for a paid tourney. Even if it's almost 20 years old.

I'm sure it's all about it being a paid tourney that's online. Maybe a free invite-only event would work?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's inevitable that Nintendo re-releases Melee at some point, but not because of a fan campaign. It'll be something akin to the SNES Classic or the Mario Sunshine Switch port, bundled with other games and likely without online.

Nintendo very rarely caves to fan demand, the last time I remember it happening was Operation Rainfall and all things considered that wasn't even that big an ask, considering all of those games were already localized in Europe.

There are games like Rivals of Aether and the upcoming Fraymakers that outright use things like Wavedashing so I imagine Nintendo didn't patent any of the mechanics specifically. I'm not a die-hard Melee fan though so I'm not sure if those games are seen as viable replacements.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

No, nintendo doesn't have a patent on movesets and fair use is still a thing. Rivals of Aether has been doing the not-melee thing for quite some time now with arguable success, but people aren't interested in making that a premiere game, they just want to stay with smash.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this earlier but pretty much every prominent Smash player who is involved has a Sephiroth reaction video:

MrvFd6a.png

Soo nothing really.

There was a game called Icons that was pretty much exactly that IIRC.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo will unfortunately continue to live in 1889. Smash tournaments will have to continue being an underground thing.

I guess users on this forum will outright insult and demean a vibrant and thriving community, too, based on responses this thread has already gotten. ):

I mean at a certain point, if Nintendo doesn't want the game in question to be successful on that level, it makes sense for that community to move away from Nintendo all together and circle around someone who's going to foster their needs and wants.

But they don't. And this cycle of abuse continues ad nauesum.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Best case scenario I see is Nintendo backing down and actually leaving the scene alone instead of the strange interactions they've been doing up until now. Either that or someone manages to take Nintendo to court over streaming rights and win, but that would be be extremely hard for a number of reasons.

This is not true at all as evidenced by the tons of mods that people use

There hasn't been any games that mimic existing characters 1 to 1, the closest was Icons which ended up flopping like HoN did afaik. It wasn't a direct port like Dota 2 and tried making new characters while also having a shitty F2P model.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
If anything, I think Melee fans will just take the wrong message from all this, in that they think all Melee tournaments are forbidden. When really, the lesson is "don't look for Nintendo sponsorship/money when running an online tournament while using emulators."

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Best case scenario I see is Nintendo backing down and actually leaving the scene alone instead of the strange interactions they've been doing up until now. Either that or someone manages to take Nintendo to court over streaming rights and win, but that would be be extremely hard for a number of reasons.

This is not true at all as evidenced by the tons of mods that people use
I was thinking about a pure competitive level, but I don't know that much about it so maybe

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It will become a residual annoyance as the people who monitor everything that the official Pokémon account tweets to put the Dexit hastag.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking about a pure competitive level, but I don't know that much about it so maybe
UCF is a mod that was being used in tournaments well before the pandemic and international players were already used to switching between PAL and NTSC where there are actual balance changes. There's also a ton of well known bugs and inconsistencies that absolutely no one would complain about being fixed.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
If anything, I think Melee fans will just take the wrong message from all this, in that they think all Melee tournaments are forbidden. When really, the lesson is "don't look for Nintendo sponsorship/money when running an online tournament while using emulators."
I think a more accurate statement is "Don't run a tournament using emulators under a brand previously sponsored by Nintendo" (The Big House folks did not look for money or sponsorship from Nintendo for this iteration of the event), but agree with everything else you've said in this thread.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Nintendo doesn't care and they have the most active apologist fanbase in my experience so I expect nothing to happen. Just a hashtag.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
OP, your threads read like you're living in a serious bubble.
This.

It also doesn't help when you have prominent figures in the movement like Hungrybox doing stuff like what that one pic showed. Or not updating/informing his audience of a scumbag who takes advantage of a dead person, despite using said scumbag to help gain more support for the movement.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
Same thing we all told you was gonna happen on the other thread, no one cares and now that Sephy is has been announced everyone but the most hard core people that hate nintedo will move on.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
The best they can hope for is for Nintendo to re-release Meele as a Switch title. I doubt it'll ever happen, though.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Same thing we all told you was gonna happen on the other thread, no one cares and now that Sephy is has been announced everyone but the most hard core people that hate nintedo will move on.
I think you are right, I don't think I should have done this thread, or I should have done it with other approach. I don't think I should ask you this but how can I close a thread? I don't see how can I do that

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There will be some great tournaments and a bunch of money will be raised for charity. Of course Nintendo's not going to change, but imagine if all that happened and they did actually change some of their policies?

Status
Not open for further replies.