• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• Horizon

Votes: 32 8.9%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 88 24.4%
  • Days Gone

Votes: 142 39.3%
  • Ghost econ Wildlands

Votes: 99 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All three had people basically doubting from the start...for some similar and different reasons. Won't stand out in its genre, people not talking or caring about it even though that's in a bubble, calling them one and done flops, etc. It seems like people will always forget the last one and move on to the next one that will be a "flop".

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wildlands.

This isn't even a fucking contest, lmao. I really wish I could relive the first sales update for that game on GAF, god damn was that a fucking hilarious evening. The amount of people so convinced the game would bomb only for it to be 2017's best selling game is just some A-grade comedy. It's actually baffling that the game's success surprised people. Really went above and beyond proving the existence of the "bubble".

Splatoon and Horizon shouldn't even be there, aside from a vocal minority, most people were down.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please provide some proof of this "consensus" that people were against Splatoon or Horizon. I have only seen this type of attitude towards Days Gone.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Wildlands was utterly bonkers. That beta was godawful, it shouldn't have done as well as it did.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
honestly, it's Red Dead Redemption 2. outside of ERA, it's pretty much universally praised, loved and viewed as an incredible game (Twitter, facebook other forums etc.)

but on ERA you would get the impression that its extremely split. It's viewed as either a masterpiece or a terrible game on here with no middle ground, at least from what I seen

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
uhh Horizon looked super fuckin dope straight from the get go
Eh, Horizon had plenty of vocal doubters. Mainly out of disdain for 'yet another' open world crafting game.

But of the three, Days Gone easily has the most people here who are enthusiastically uninterested in it.

Mainly since those other two games at least had a discernable personality and a clear level of artistic passion behind them, rather than feeling like the outcome of an algorithm that was designed to sell a game to the 18-35 male demographic.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every Sony new IP (Horizon, Days Gone, even Ghost of Tsushima)

Hell even God of War 2018 and Spiderman PS4 was met with a lot of skeptcism

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Cant be days gone cause the jury is still out. I dont know what it was.. but Horizon brought the crazies out. They didnt want that game to be great.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we are allowed to link gaf threads, but I could.
Horizon definitely wasn't against in the majority.

Didn't it won, or was a top contender in the Poll for flop of the year?

May have, but those threads tend to bring people looking to call something negative more than anything else.

General discussion definitely seemed like a even split, in my memory at least

By the way, I've seen people link gaff threads before where discussing things like this. Might be worth asking a staff member first though

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon was releasing on a dead console where new games would bomb on a constant bases. There was no bubble since even people outside of neogaf thought the same. Horizon was hated by a small vocal minority, the majority I remember were very excited for it. Ghost wildlands is the only correct answer here followed by Days Gone.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The dismissal people had for Splatoon was so ridiculous but Wildlands is actually the winner here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Who thought Horizon would bomb? It was open world robot dinosaurs. That seemed like a formula for success.

Jan 21, 2019
uhh Horizon looked super fuckin dope straight from the get go

I had a turn around. I didn't like her talking so much during the reveal trailer and then I saw her climbing a tower to scan the environment and wrote it off as just another Assassin's Creed game. Later a friend of mine recommended it and gave me his copy to play. Needless to say, I have purchased the Goty edition for myself.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon already had a sequel for which people actually started a second round of doubt despite it being on a more successful console than the one it already exploded on. It went from the stock-standard unreasonable attitude to full-on reality denial.

By comparison Horizon's doubters seemed to be of the "my flagship title versus yours" variety and Days Gone needs to actually get off the ground first to fully evaluate the comparison. Wildlands is a great alternate answer, though.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly not so sure. Days Gone gets as much defense as it gets dismissed and Horizon was met with console wars from both Nintendo and Sony fanboys. But Splatoon was more or less dismissed outright by damn near everyone when it was shown off. Even optimistic predictions had it at maybe a million or so

ERA biased against a Nintendo game? Are there two different ERAs?
No such thing as bias against Nintendo here. It's Days Gone and not even close.
So is there bias against Sony here instead or something? I mean, this is the same forum / group that threw a big hissy fit over Nintendo doing well in the 2017 GotY thread and argued that the Switch and Splatoon were gonna bomb. They're not exactly worshipped here

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Days Gone. I've never seen the word "generic" be used so often by those who weren't able to explain why or how it even applies to the game. I don't remember what people were tearing Wildlands apart for but seems like it went against peoples' expectations.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn had the most votes for biggest flop of 2017 on GAF.

https://www./threads/predict-the-flops-of-2017.1329702/

The game had similar complaints as Days Gone well, eg generic, Ubisoft style, overplayed etc lol. Then again, so did Spider-Man and God of War to a much lesser extent. Guess we'll find out soon if Days Gone is decent or not, but the flak it's recieved, similar to HZD, certainly feels somewhat misplaced.

Interest levels are for sure an Era bubble thing though, given how well it's looking like Days Gone may end up selling.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what the consensus was.
Uhh what? Era wasn't around when Horizon came out and it came in 2nd on the 2017 GOTY list and 3rd on the most anticipated of 2017 on the old site. It definitely had a lot of hype both before and after its release.

I'd pick Days Gone out of those three, but I'd argue there are more fitting picks. Like Sea of Thieves and the aforementioned Wildlands.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
May have, but those threads tend to bring people looking to call something negative more than anything else.

General discussion definitely seemed like a even split, in my memory at least

By the way, I've seen people link gaff threads before where discussing things like this. Might be worth asking a staff member first though

I am checking that thread and the first pages are filled with Horizon (and Scalebound lol) comments.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh what? Era wasn't around when Horizon came out and it came in 2nd on the 2017 GOTY list and 3rd on the most anticipated of 2017 on the old site. It definitely had a lot of hype both before and after its release.
Hence my (gaf) in the title...because era pre october 2017 was gaf. It was voted most likely to flop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.