• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Like many, I skipped the Xbox One generation. Today I got a XBSX, and I opened up the box and handled the controller and my heart absolutely sunk. I'm used to the xbox 360 controller, where my finger tips naturally rest on both the triggers and the sticks in a neutral position. With the XBSX controller, a natural neutral position results in the triggers being under my fingers *after* the first joint, and the thumbsticks are under roughly the halfway point of my thumb. I do *not* have large hands. They're not small, but not large. What happened! The 360 controllers were literally perfect. I was so excited to play on a 360-like controller since I hate the DS form factor (from previous gens at least) because they're too small. This is crushingly disappointing. Is the elite controller better? Any alternatives that aren't made for Donald Trump?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The One controller (which is basically the Series X controller) is easily the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I have average sized hands.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
A lot of people love 360 controllers, and I was indeed a fan. But I've actually moved on to believe the Xbox One controller is the most comfortable controller I have ever used.

Caveat: I was ok with the OG Duke when it was the only option originally.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I mean 99% of the people think the xbox one controller is the 360 controller perfected. Im sorry but you are part of a tiny minority.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I feel like you're just not used to it yet. The form factor for XBO and XSX controllers is definitely superior for larger hands than the 360 controller.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a problem with X1 controller, minus the weird feeling in the bumpers sometimes. But I see the XSX controller as a step forward on almost anything, from materials or triggers and sticks feeling to grip.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It took me a bit to get used to the One controller, but once I did it was great. And I believe these are basically the same size.

I used to complain about the DualShock because I found it too small for my hands.

But then I got a switch, and after you try to play coop with a single joycon you will never complain about another controller again.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 360 was the best controller I've ever used, until I used the One. I came to love how my index rests on the triggers.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the first time I held a 360 controller again back when the One launched. It felt so incredibly cheap and shitty to me despite being roughly the same thing, lol.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The One controller was better than the 360 in every way to me. Then the Elite came and did better than the One. No looking back.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i have pretty big hands, and my thumbs rest naturally on the sticks with the triggers on the 1st joint... you sure you dont have bigger hands than you think?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give it time as your brain adjusts. You won't be able to go back.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
While I have no problems with the ergonomics, I've absolutely despised the change to the sticks since the Xbox One launch day.

The 360 sticks had some solid resistance, they felt satisfyingly tense. The One/Series pads have loose sticks that feel like a 360 pad that's seen years of use or, worse yet, a DualShock 3. Shooters absolutely suffer for this change and everything just feels way too loose and sensitive in comparison to the 360 pad. Meanwhile, Sony went the opposite direction and corrected the loose sticks from the DualShock 3 and the DualShock 4 had some nice resistance.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It's the best and most comfortable controller around. Give it a little time to adjust, you've been using the same 360 controller for so long, your fingers need to break out of the muscle memory.

I grabbed a 360 controller a few days ago at a friends and I wanted to throw up because of how uncomfortable it was compared to the X1 controller.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, when I got used to the Xbox One controller after moving on from the 360, I vastly prefer it to the older 360 pad.

It took me a while, but I really like the "smoother starting" sticks, since there was always a "jump" when I started moving them on my 360 pad (I play with higher sensitivities usually, so small movements are more difficult on the older controller).

I kinda hate the triggers on the 360 pad because after they get old, they get annoyingly loud.

The 360 controller was not perfect.

OP
OP

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It took me a bit to get used to the One controller, but once I did it was great. And I believe these are basically the same size.

I used to complain about the DualShock because I found it too small for my hands.

But then I got a switch, and after you try to play coop with a single joycon you will never complain about another controller again.
Ya, I'm with you on that. The joycon gives me bad RSI. I won't play switch without the pro controller or a grip. I'll give it some time and hopefully I'll adapt. I guess I managed to kind of be okay with the DS4 after a while. It's too bad 360 controllers aren't compatible though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The Xbox One controller is perfection, and I expect the XSX one to be the same. Unfortunate to say, OP, but you're the exception to the rule. Hopefully you naturally adjust to the controller.

OP
OP

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Alright alright, I see the consensus is fairly clear. I'll give it some time to adjust. Mods, you can lock the thread. Not looking to stir up any controversies (and I'm sure the next week is gonna be *busy* for ya'll).

OP
OP

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I forgot that, lol I get it now my bad.

I don't think it's that small though (although I used the Elite v2). Small in my mind joycon territory.
Joycons are a whole separate level of small. I don't think very many adults would be able to use it comfortably without a grip (or just use a pro controller).

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak to the Series S|X controller as I understand it's actually a bit smaller than the XOne controller?

But I thought the XOne controller perfectly fits my hands. I tried going back to the 360 controller for some PC games once and it felt like I was holding some alien artifact not meant for human hands...

I mean it still felt better than using a DS4, but that's not saying much.

OP
OP

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to the Series S|X controller as I understand it's actually a bit smaller than the XOne controller?

But I thought the XOne controller perfectly fits my hands. I tried going back to the 360 controller for some PC games once and it felt like I was holding some alien artifact not meant for human hands...
This review says it's smaller in the hands than the XOne:

www.polygon.com

The new Xbox Series X controller is a modest upgrade (but hey, Share button!)

Don’t worry, it’ll also work on PC and Xbox Series S

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Today is the first time I've held one since the 360 and I love it. Haptics aside, it's a far better controller to me than my Dualsense . Notably the dpad, which is awful on the DS but amazing on the XXX. The grip texture is also so much better on the XSX.

OP
OP

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Today is the first time I've held one since the 360 and I love it. Haptics aside, it's a far better controller to me than my Dualsense . Notably the dpad, which is awful on the DS but amazing on the XXX. The grip texture is also so much better on the XSX.
The grip textures and such are nice. I take issue solely with the form factor. It just needs to be a bit bigger and then I'd be perfectly content.
As many have said the one controller is the best controller available
The article I posted above says the XBSX controller is smaller -- though I haven't held an XOne controller so I don't know.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
The new one is the best they have made yet. I was used to the 360 one too but the Xbox One controller won me over and the S/X controller is even better.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the first time I held a 360 controller again back when the One launched. It felt so incredibly cheap and shitty to me despite being roughly the same thing, lol.
This is me,. I thought the one controller was weird and then I picked a 360 pad again shit felt like a cheap madcatz knock-off. The one controller is great the triggers and analog placement can't be beaten.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like an odd man out with controllers. I can easily jump from the DS4 to the Xbox1 controller and not really mind the differences after like a few minutes. I guess having to jump between the PS1, the N64, the Sega Saturn and PCs got you used to using very different controllers at the drop of a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.