• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, it feels cruel to me to have a muzzle on a dog when they're being walked, or out in public.

Unless it's clearly a danger to someone, in which case, they probably shouldn't own a dog anyways since they're not apt to train them well enough, it doesn't seem like the right approach. Maybe in the beginning with a new dog, while you're still training it, I could possibly see it as an option, but other than that, it just doesn't seem like a humane approach.

Obviously, lots of nuance here to talk about, so more than willing to hear more opinions on this issue.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the dog is on a plane, probably (should) have a muzzle..

Nov 9, 2017
Some places require them by law. I don't like them, but I guess I can see why they might be used under very specific circumstances

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think if you're going to claim it's a "support dog" that needs to go everywhere with you, and you feel a need to bring it in close quarters with others who might not be comfortable around dogs, you should feel obligated to put a muzzle on it. Otherwise, yeah, if it's just you and your dog and you don't trust it without a muzzle, that's just poor training.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If the dog is on a plane, probably (should) have a muzzle..
I guess for planes, or smaller spaces wasn't something I've specifically considered as a part of this discussion.

I've seen people walk their tiny dogs on the sidewalk with muzzles on them, or in parks. Seems to be a lot more common than I thought they would be.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about full blown muzzles or leash leaders that go over their snouts?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you rescue an emotionally damaged animal and you're trying to rehabilitate it. Muscles aren't ideal, but if the alternative is locking them up or euthanasia I can understand.

That said, if you're just using a muzzle because you never trained your dog and your taking them out I do have issues with it...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine in limited circumstances but not a meaningful solution in the long term.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you're going to claim it's a "support dog" that needs to go everywhere with you, and you feel a need to bring it in close quarters with others who might not be comfortable around dogs, you should feel obligated to put a muzzle on it. Otherwise, yeah, if it's just you and your dog and you don't trust it without a muzzle, that's just poor training.
Yeah, this is a fair time to use them.

Of course, I'm not saying there is never a reason to do it, since there are certainly some circumstances I can see it justified in a sense for the owner, but for me, it just still feels somewhat cruel for the dog.
Are you talking about full blown muzzles or leash leaders that go over their snouts?
I'm actually not sure. I've seen both, but the leash leaders still accomplishes the same thing, which is clamping down on their mouths so they can't bark and such.

Or are they for some other purpose?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Yeah, this is a fair time to use them.

Of course, I'm not saying there is never a reason to do it, since there are certainly some circumstances I can see it justified in a sense for the owner, but for me, it just still feels somewhat cruel for the dog.

I'm actually not sure. I've seen both, but the leash leaders still accomplishes the same thing, which is clamping down on their mouths so they can't bark and such.

That is incorrect. Leash leaders prevent the dog from choking themselves if they try to pull away or if you need to pull back.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you know your dog can be a bit aggressive at times, then use it when walking them. Enclosed spaces with prolongued contact like an airplane should definitely require them to be used if the dog will be boarding the plane as an emotional support animal. Better be safe than sorry in my opinion.
With that said, how does a dog become aggressive, exactly? I have to admit I ignore plenty of things in this regard.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Totally depends on the situation. Generally I dont like them but some dogs need them despite proper training from their owners. Training aggression towards other dogs out of them isn't an easy feat and these dogs will require one when out socializing until they are rehabilitated.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
If your dog has a history of aggression or you're shoving it in close quarters with other people for an extended period of time I think it's fine.

If someone is putting one on their dog every time they take it out of their house then that's more than a little weird.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They are to prevent the dog from pulling when on a walk and choking himself on the leash. It isn't a muzzle.

If you have an aggressive dog then do everyone around you a favor and muzzle the dog. It doesn't hurt the pup and you won't be putting anyone in danger.

Nov 26, 2018
Sport/cage muzzles are wonderful for training purposes. Getting them used to/experiencing positive results while wearing a muzzle can make vet trips less stressful and can make outdoor training and socializing safer. Plus they can still eat/drink/breathe in them.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's more about familiarity. Greyhounds spend their racing careers muzzled so they grow up with it and are very comfortable wearing one. A dog that isn't used to wearing one isn't going to like it, but with time will be fine with it.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Normally see harnesses around the chest used for this. Out of curiosity why would it be better to control dogs by their head instead of their chest?

Well in the event the dog acts aggressive because it sees another dog or person the leader would pull the head away rather than one on the chest which won't help at all in that kind of situation.

Good rule of thumb is to never take chances with someone else's animal or persons themselves when it comes to your own dog.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of it for me is that I don't actually know anybody who owns a dog, and I know a lot of people, who has actually had a muzzle for their dog, which is why it just seems strange for me when I see strangers doing it, yet, nobody I know has ever needed one, or even owns a muzzle.

Not all of them are perfect pets either, but never had an issue without one in public spaces.

So my opinion on this may be skewed as a result of this, and makes it seem like it's worse than it is.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Obviously, lots of nuance here to talk about

Yes. There are a plethora of situations where it is okay to use a muzzle. I'm fine with most of them except maybe having one on your dog 24/7 or using one that is dangerous to their regular breathing or something.

Also "well maybe you shouldn't have a dog if you can't train it!" is a weird hindsight argument. Most people who are training their first dog think training a dog is easy. A lot of people with aggressive dogs have learned that it is not. At that point, they may have owned the dog for years, and it's not like you can really just say "well guess this isn't for me!" and drop the dog off somewhere and have things turn out fine for the dog. That dog is then not an ideal adoption candidate, and will live on the hope that someone comes in with the time and energy to rehabilitate them; it's more likely they'll just be euthanized, depending on the shelter. If the choice is between an owner using a muzzle as an aggression-crutch or dropping their dog off at a euthanasian station, then I'm not really going to judge for using a muzzle.

Yes, proper training is ideal, but it's not free and get very costly depending on the kind of issues your dog has picked up. Muzzle training is also a thing for unlearning aggression as well.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Certainly in spaces with a lot of people/other dogs, and small spaces. Even if you know your dog will never attack a person, you may not know if it could attack another dog.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I think part of it for me is that I don't actually know anybody who owns a dog, and I know a lot of people, who has actually had a muzzle for their dog, which is why it just seems strange for me when I see strangers doing it, yet, nobody I know has ever needed one, or even owns a muzzle.

Not all of them are perfect pets either, but never had an issue without one in public spaces.

So my opinion on this may be skewed as a result of this, and makes it seem like it's worse than it is.

Yeah they aren't as bad as people may make them out to be. They have some that prevent a dog from biting but not from eating or drinking because it still allows for the animal to open their mouths a little.

I have one like that as well. It is almost all cloth and also acts as a leader.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was young, my family used to foster and adopt out ex-racing greyhounds which I later realized gave me a very different perspective on muzzles but also because it was a very different type of muzzle called a basket muzzle:
plastic-muzzle-sq.jpg

Dogs we'd get from the track would already be incredibly used to wearing them, and for the most part didn't care. They could drink with them on, open their mouths (some of them would try to eat which was doable but slow), etc, but couldn't bite. It didn't actually prevent them from trying to play, but it prevented any harmful teeth contact. They were sighthounds that had been trained to chase small fuzzy things, were often skittish around people in general, and incredibly good at slipping their collars. So when acclimating fresh-off-the-track dogs to being walked in the world, these muzzles were great. Likewise for taking the dog to a park to just let them run freely for a short while--our dogs never tried to get aggressive with another animal at the park, but we were always mindful of their past and never wanted to risk that they could when there was a fairly simple assurance that never bothered them at all just in case somebody brought a small, fast, white dog that triggered some kind of memory.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the muzzles that clamp their mouths shut and as an adult have mostly owned brachycephalic dogs who wouldn't really muzzle anyway.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP should post some images of the muzzles they are talking about, just so we are all clear.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me, owner knows best usually. It's better for the dog to get some excersize and so if the only way the dog can do that is with a muzzle, then that's good. A dog whose a bite risk might be forced to stay in a small yard or house, and so it never has that ability to get some energy out and it only becomes more of a bite risk. New muzzles are all pretty good too, they usually allow the dog to use its mouth to drink and pick at small things, or socialize normally with it's mouth (dogs often send signals with their mouths, nip dogs in the back legs to play/dominate/socialize), but prevents major or dangerous bites.

If I'm at park that allows off leash and an off leash dog runs up to me and it has a muzzle on, I'll be way more calm / under control than if an off leash dog with no muzzle runs up

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is not inherently cruel to muzzle a dog. A proper muzzle should prevent the dog from suffering any breathing and drinking problems. If the owner understands the dog is dangerous or it's the law, it should be fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was just at the dog park and my dog got jumped by an aggressive dog and was just thinking why the hell more owners don't take responsibility and muzzle up their dogs.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should be mandatory on planes. It would remove 90% of the risk to other passengers. I mean for "emotional support animals" rather than trained service animals.

Until the massive ESA fraud and abuse is eliminated and the FAA and airlines demand real medical documentation beyond easily obtained and fraudulent letters then people with serious mental or physical travel issues and other passengers will continue to be victims of the most selfish and self-absorbed public shit imaginable.

Until then a soft comfortable temporary muzzle will practically guarantee safe if not comfortable travel for the other citizens you selfish pathetic venal greedy turds are currently endangering, discomfiting and offending.

But hey you saved fifty bucks! And Zeus wasn't inconvenienced in the hold. And now you can take him on business trips! And he's never bitten anyone's face yet. Except that tome he knocked over a child at the on-leash no dogs allowed (that's just a suggestion and besides the off leash park is no good because he hates other dogs) playground He's a big soft sweetheart! And you don't have to take him to the kennel or hire a dog walker!

I don't mind dogs In carriers and I'm deathly allergic to cats but I take a Zyrtec and carry a rescue inhaler because I am fine with your cat in a carrier under the seat. I feel sad for dogs in crates in the hold but the airport looks like a dog park now and sooner or later someone is going to die- either a worse attack than the face-removal or an otherwise survivable crash where a panicking dangerous dog causes people to burn to death by preventing a safe exit.

Then it'll change. Until then if you don't need it don't take your big dog on the plane and if you do need it train and muzzle it for those journeys.

Oh and if your dog needs a muzzle because of everyday aggression then you screwed up something really bad.

Good talk folks.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm friends with some folks who train dogs and a properly used muzzle is to reduce the dog's anxiety, not the other way around. Almost all dog reactivity (barking, lunging, biting, etc.) is a fear-based response rather than genuine aggression. Putting a muzzle on the dog prevents overly-friendly strangers from spontaneously engaging and triggering the dog's fear and anxiety, so they come to associate the muzzle as a positive thing that keeps them from being in scary situations. It can actually be a pretty good confidence builder for the dog and can be used as a tool to help them unlearn their reactive behaviors.

Also, there's a variety of muzzle and not all of them look like a Hannibal Lecter face mask.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Muzzles are not only to stop dogs from biting, barking etc when out and about.

A lot of dogs just eat anything and everything when on a walk and need to be stopped before they eat something they shouldn't. My 2 spaniels are a nightmare and eat everything. I don't muzzle them as I don't like it, but a lot of owners will do.

When people see a muzzled dog they automatically assume "oh, better get out the way, this one must be an evil one". Not many people consider a muzzle as protection for a dog, not only from a dog

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Should be absolutely mandatory when in public among other people. Dogs should also be properly trained but that's a reach for most dog owners.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Perfectly sound and reasonable in many many situations. Any dog can have a bad reaction under the right circumstances, especially when there's a lot going on out of yours or their control that they're not used to. Meeting new dogs or new people in an new environment or where there's lots of new stimuli and what not. Dogs can get overwhelmed, frightened and just feel uncomfortable with too much attention or interaction by people, especially young kids or other energetic dogs. If you're even a little unsure if your dog might react there's nothing wrong with using one. It's for both their protection as well as everyone elses. And there's plenty of more discreet muzzles that won't make you're dog look like Hannibal Lector.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly sounds like there are a lot of reasons that are apt, and doesn't seem like it does much harm to the dogs.

Appreciate all the responses, as it was informative and helpful.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dogs are known to attack people and each other, an owner should have a muzzle. doesn't mean it should use it all the time, but like that story of the mauling in the plane absolutely the dog should have been wearing one.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If I'm at park that allows off leash and an off leash dog runs up to me and it has a muzzle on, I'll be way more calm / under control than if an off leash dog with no muzzle runs up
Exactly. It makes people more comfortable. Even if the dog isn't dangerous, people don't know the dog and will be more calm knowing they are safe.

Those basket muzzles are not cruel. Any dog can get used to wearing one. Public opinion about muzzles should not be negative.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It makes people more comfortable. Even if the dog isn't dangerous, people don't know the dog and will be more calm knowing they are safe.

Those basket muzzles are not cruel. Any dog can get used to wearing one. Public opinion about muzzles should not be negative.
Definitely seems to be a hell of a lot more reasons to do it, than to not.

Status
Not open for further replies.