• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you expect Death Stranding to do better, or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

• Death Stranding will do better critically and commercially

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Death Stranding will do better critically, Pokemon will do better commercially

Votes: 66 58.9%
  • Death Stranding will do better commercially, Pokemon will do better critically

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pokemon will do better critically and commercially

Votes: 40 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
November will see two big first party heavyweights launching head to head for the first time in a good while (actually probably the first time since early 2017). We have Death Stranding, the brand new Hideo Kojima game, made purely by sticking true to his vision, unencumbered by publisher or fan expectations, or the baggage of sticking to a 30+ year old IP. Death Stranding looks incredible, has a lot of fantastic ideas that might end up pushing games forward, has a lot of star power, and is published by Sony, who have the Midas Touch with all their major games this generation.

We also have Pokemon Sword/Shield, the first Pokemon game for consoles (Let's Go notwithstanding). Sword/Shield are the first games in the series to go "open world", and are introducing a bevy of long requested and awaited features, including co-op raid battles, and non random encounters. They are adding a systemic bent to Pokemon, by having an open area where Pokemon spawns are dictated entirely by the current state of the environment, and vice versa. There is a considerable amount of controversy surrounding Pokemon Sword/Shield, owing to their excision of an unspecified number of Pokemon from the roster, but on the whole, it's a Pokemon game, which means it's guaranteed to do well.

Which, in your opinion, will do better? And why?

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Besides your options

Attach rate? Pokemon

Total sales? Death Stranding

Critically and commercially: Death Stranding

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon will slay

in sales

Death Stranding, I have no idea how it'll do critically, but it'll do well commercially

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding has the chance to be an amazing or awful game and I can't tell which one it will be yet.
Pokemon we know what we are getting. I choose Pokémon for both cause obviously it will sell more.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sales: pokemon, of course
critical reception: i'm gonna guess death stranding, but i'm not too sure. there's a chance it won't be a huge critical hit.

Total sales? Death Stranding
there's like 0 chance death stranding will sell more. even the best selling sony first party games (gow/spiderman) don't come close to new generation pokemon games, and death stranding will do considerably less than those.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pokémon will hover in the mid 80s and sell 16m.

I think DS will score around low 80s and sell a bit more than 10m.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would never think to compare these games for any reason outside of fanboy wankery. Pokemon will easily sell more. Critically who knows both will be 80 plus on metacritic.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
sales: pokemon, of course
critical reception: i'm gonna guess death stranding, but i'm not too sure. there's a chance it won't be a huge critical hit.

there's like 0 chance death stranding will sell more. even the best selling sony first party games (gow/spiderman) don't come close to new generation pokemon games, and death stranding will do considerably less than those.
Did we have a new pokemon game on Switch? And how much did it sell? (Is this new one only on Switch?)

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Pokémon should get the usual ~85 on metacritic/opencritic. No idea how Death Stranding is going to be received. Could be a 95, could be a 65.

Pokémon is probably going to ship at least 12 million copies by the end of the year. I expect Death Stranding to do half of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.