• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
With today's news of Nintendo finally buying Next Level Games, I don't see this being the only one. Hal and Gamefreak seem to be the next obvious choices, but what other studio's do you think?

I know people joke about Nintendo buying Tecmo Koei, which I could see in the future.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think this will become a trend, but if it makes sense for both parties, Monster Games seems like a good fit.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
None.

NLG is the only one they're buying.

Read the announcement, this was a special scenario where they were looking to sell.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
None. One studio purchase after many years of working together doesn't mean Nintendo is going on a buying spree.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we're going to see a bunch of acquisitions, but I could see Nintendo looking at Velan Studios if they were to keep buying.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
If they were to be buying anyone up, I could see a Flagship style situation where they eat a team up, likely from Bamco

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't kid yourself. It is 100% the only one and they only did it because NLG asked them to.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
NLG were looking to sell, I suspect nintendo would not have bought them otherwise.

Don't see any other purchases happening unless a similar situation of a developer who pretty much exclusively makes games for Nintendo happens.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
If they didn't bought Hal or Gamefreak yet then I don't see it happening anytime soon. I think Next Level Games is a one and done situation.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Going by devs/publishers they have an active partnership with, these sound like the most plausible options:

Tecmo-Koei
Platinumgames
Grezzo

That said, I don't think they're actively looking for new acquisitions. The NLG purchase was the end result of a 15 year long partnership. And it was likely scooped up to avoid it ending up in the hands of a different publisher.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Nintendo only bought NLG because of their specific working relationship. I don't know what other developers have a similar working relationship with Nintendo but I don't see them making anymore acquisitions like this.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They're not going to make any more acquisitions just because this one happened. This was clearly a specific situation where it made sense; a long-term development partner looking to sell. It means nothing for future acquisitions.

I can only see it happening again if they're put in a similar scenario in the future, like with Intelligent Systems or someone else they have a long history with. They're not just going to buy a random developer out of the blue; that's not their strategy and it never has been.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
arzest

for real tho, they're not buying anything. getting next level games is not a sign that suddenly they've changed their stance on acquisitions. the owners of NLG were looking to sell, and nintendo did it to not lose a valuable and reliable partner. if one ot their other long time partner companies was looking to sell, i can see nintendo buying them otherwise i don't see nintendo going on a shopping spree.

Jan 4, 2018
I don't know if this really means that Nintendo will buy another studio unless they have to.

Next Level Games wanted to sell and I think that Nintendo felt they had to buy them before another company did, as Next Level Games was an important partner for them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Going by devs/publishers they have an active partnership with, these sound like the most plausible options:

Tecmo-Koei
Platinumgames
Grezzo

That said, I don't think they're actively looking for new acquisitions. The NLG purchase was the end result of a 15 year long partnership. And it was likely scooped up to avoid it ending up in the hands of a different publisher.
See what I said a few posts ago, but replace Capcom with KT. As for Platinum, they're gearing up to do more self-publishing projects, so they definitely have no interest in being purchased.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The official PR perfectly outlines the circumstances of this acquisition and Daniel Ahmad later added some more perspective on Twitter. They will buy a studio if the owners want to sell and it's more beneficial for Nintendo to own them outright than risk the new owner jeopardizing the relationship. The most likely candidates for this are any of the companies that they already have an existing relationship with which also add significant value to Nintendo's business like Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Game Freak etc. But again, this would require the owners wanting to sell.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

Tecmo-Koei
Platinumgames
Grezzo

Of those three, I can only see Grezzo being bought. Nintendo doesn't acquire studios the size of TK or Platinumgames very often. Grezzo on the other hand pretty much works exclusively with Nintendo.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
People always seem to forget Arika. Tetris 99, Mario 35, and they also have been working with Nintendo for years.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This topic can easily fit in the main Nintendo OT threads, please continue discussion here:
www.resetera.com

Nintendo General Discussion |OT18| Is anyone else’s thread collecting dust? (Trans Rights are still Human Rights)

Greetings, fellow speculators and weary 2020 time travellers. Hang your coats and stay for a while. Here in our hallowed OT18, may you find refuge and enlightenment, as we move forward day by day to muse over gaming news over cups of hot cocoa (or ice cold fresh lemonade for those lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.