• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
As if it's not bad enough that this console comes with an 825GB SSD, I have >100GB taken up by "Other" and I can't for the life of me figure out how to free this up. I figured they were temp files that would disappear once I try installing something over it but nope, can't install any more games until I delete existing games. Have we figured out what this is and how we can free it up?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's PS3 games the machine learning is downloading for you for when they announce BC.

(Pretty sure it's tied to optional features like background recording of your gameplay, recording quality/length, I think Trophy videos too. Decrease/disable those features and I imagine it'll go down)

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the full release of P.T/Silent Hills. They're waiting until Halloween of next year before they unlock it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have 60GB and a lot of it appears to be related to BC stuff. Deleting PS5 games doesn't shrink, but deleting or moving PS4 games to the USB hard disk shrinks it.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Is it's usage actually preventing you from being able to install stuff, because if it isn't why worry about it at the moment and just let the system do its thing.

But saying that there was some discussion suggesting that installing PS4 games on the internal drive (rather than an external) resulted in more space being reserved in Other, I'm not sure if that was substantiated though.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
For reference when selected it says "The storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used."

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
You need to get rid of all of your PS4 games stored on the PS5. Everytime you add a PS4 game to the PS5 internal SSD it eats up storage space in "other" Only way to reduce the space it takes up is by deleting the PS4 games or moving them to an external storage device so they don't take up space in "other" storage.

If you don't have any PS4 games on the internal then I have no idea why it's taken up so much space.

I've checked it myself and every PS4 game I add to the PS5 it increases "other" storage from anything between 5GB to 10GB or more. When I delete the PS4 games the space goes down again.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I believe its due to Trophy videos and storing PS4 games on the SSD

If you disable Trophy videos and put PS4 games on a external drive it will go down.

Saying that Sony should really be more upfront about what "Other" is and give you the option to reduce it on the console.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not a fan of 'other'. Hate it on my iPhone too. Just tell me what's using the space! If it's related to a certain game then count it with the game.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the reserved install size for each game/ how much room it needs for patches. Would explain why ps4 games take up more space.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why would they lump PS4 games into "Other"?

Man, file management really seems like a low priority for Sony ever since the PS3.

BTW, does the PS5 finally display download speed on the download manager?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they lump PS4 games into "Other"?

Man, file management really seems like a low priority for Sony ever since the PS3.

BTW, does the PS5 finally display download speed on the download manager?

Nope. Not as far as I've seen. it tells you how much data has been downloaded/installed, and how much total is needed (along with time remaining, but not the actual DL / install speed.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nope. Not as far as I've seen. it tells you how much data has been downloaded/installed, and how much total is needed (along with time remaining, but not the actual DL / install speed.
So the exact same things as PS4? Eh, I guess you can deduce more or less how fast it's downloading by paying attention to the downloaded value but it's kinda weird that Sony just won't add a transfer speed stat.

OP
OP
Dance Inferno

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Is it's usage actually preventing you from being able to install stuff, because if it isn't why worry about it at the moment and just let the system do its thing.

But saying that there was some discussion suggesting that installing PS4 games on the internal drive (rather than an external) resulted in more space being reserved in Other, I'm not sure if that was substantiated though.
Yes I literally am trying to install a game now and it won't let me until I uninstall games that I'm actively playing.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Looks like we have an existing thread for this discussion:

www.resetera.com

Half of my PS5 SSD has been eaten up by "Other"

As the title says, got my PS5 yesterday and I manually installed a few disc games before bed, everything looked fine. About 260GB used. Today, I transferred my saves over from my old Pro, totally successful, added 6GB to the SSD. it then asked me if I wanted to move a few games over. I said...

Status
Not open for further replies.