• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 was as we all know, set up to be the second coming of pixel Jesus. The chosen one. The game to shit on all other games.

What is the next game you think will get this level of resounding love, hype, and desire but shit the bed on release ?

There's plenty potentials I could see:
Starfield
Elder Scrolls 6
GTA 6
God of War Ragnarok

Just listing some off the dome. Nothing currently I think is on par the course like CP2077 .

If I had to pick one I think when it's shown ES6 will be gushed over, and then Bethesda will Bethesda on release.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Kena: Bridge of Spirits

The poor bastards at Ember Labs signed themselves up for crunch and misery when being in the first PS5 showcase.

I just don't know if they can reach the AAA levels of hype they've made.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
From those 4, I don't think any of them will reach Cyberpunk's notoriety.

I think ES6 might be the most overhyped and have the most issues at launch, but I don't think it'll be as bad of a release as Cyberpunk. I think that's something that happens maybe once a generation or two.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think gta 6 is gonna be the next one. granted, it won't be as bad as cyberpunk as R* are talented as fuck. However, there will be a lot of expectations for the next game and I believe R* won't be able to deliver on all of them.

Mar 2, 2019
It's certainly not to the degree that Cyberpunk was, but I do think some people really need to keep their expectations in check for Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

I like the look of the game, and plan to get it at launch. But it is going to be a relatively short game made by a small indie team, and I think there are some people hyping themselves up for it like it's a massive AAA release.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get what people get out of these threads especially when naming games that are so far away or that we've barely seen. Just negativity for negativity's sake.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly not to the degree that Cyberpunk was, but I do think some people really need to keep their expectations in check for Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

I like the look of the game, and plan to get it at launch. But it is going to be a relatively short game made by a small indie team, and I think there are some people hyping themselves up for it like it's a massive AAA release.

This poor game could go the way of No Man's Sky then. Indie dev gets put on the big stage, and expectations rise above the norm of what it was meant to be.

Personally the game looks good but not extraordinary in anyway .

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Lol I got a feeling a starfield might be it. I just think jankiness is in Bethesda's DNA. Gladly be proven wrong.

but honestly I feel cyberpunk was a huge wake up call for the industry at large. It will definitely be name dropped in meetings and used as a shit example on how to market and release your game. I'm optimistic that companies will learn from this

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's going to be FFXVI. Not even a contest. But it will actually succeed in its promises.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Cyberpunk 2077 was as we all know, set up to be the second coming of pixel Jesus. The chosen one. The game to shit on all other games.

What is the next game you think will get this level of resounding love, hype, and desire but shit the bed on release ?

There's plenty potentials I could see:
Starfield
Elder Scrolls 6
GTA 6
God of War Ragnarok

Just listing some off the dome. Nothing currently I think is on par the course like CP2077 .

If I had to pick one I think when it's shown ES6 will be gushed over, and then Bethesda will Bethesda on release.

Depends on how you broad you want to make this. Does No Man Sky count as the last one before CP2077 since they seemingly lied about what the game was really about? Cyperpunked isn't inherently a bad game, it is just a broken game and a couple of incomplete systems but there is a good game in there and probably one that could have panned out to the hype with another year in the cooker.

If you're just basing it on a game that will have sky high expectations and then possibly be a letdown, then Starfield since one year out we know nothing about it but honestly GTAVI. Its hard to say if GTA is going to deliver what every thinks they want from a sequel.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I really don't see any of the games mentioned here being broken upon release. Maybe mid games, but not extremely nad that have to be taken out of a digital shop and retailers and console makers have to make an exception for refunds.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I think starfield or Breath of the wild 2
I think breath of the wild 2 only because while I don't think it will be a bad game but I think people will see it as more of the same or not enough has changed from the previous entry.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
GTA6. I bet it will be so multiplayer-focused that a lot of players will be left disappointed, and yet the game will still manage to make millions.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I don't think there is an obvious one right now. All the games listed in the OP are from established studios who are making the types of games they're used to making.

Starfield is going to be a Bethesda game, with all the pros and cons that come with that. I don't think the leap to space is going to significantly change that.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I want to say Starfield, but then I'm pretty sure only Bethesda hyping it up. Think I'm gonna go with that new Battlefield.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
The Fallout4 hype and disappointment got me good, I really hope Starfield doesn't repeat that, but I feel it's most likely the one that will.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Star Citizen maybe?
(Not getting into all the stuff surrounding that game, just talking amount of hype vs probable results)

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Doesn't fit the overhyped portion, but I think the only major/semi-major game coming out that can potentially be as bad as cyberpunk is WWE 2K22.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Bethesda is not going into Starfield with Post-Witcher 3 CDPR level's of goodwill. Nowhere near the same situation.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk was a unique case because it had a dedicated shill "BREATHTAKING" man Keanu Reaves. Unless GTA 6 does a campaign in the same vein, I don't think we'll see anything like it soon

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
None. Cyberpunk killed the hype for the whole industry. The only game that will generate as much interest in the next 10 years is GTA 6 and it's hard to imagine Rockstar fucking that up since they literally just have to do their usual thing, unlike how CDprojekt had to develop a massive first-person, city-based open-world RPG when they had never made anything of the sort and had only made one open-world game previously.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly, I'm not sure we'll ever get a game like Cyberpunk again honestly.

No matter what, that game was simply never going to live up to the absolutely insane hype and expectations that the fans had and that the publisher actively enabled. But then there's the fact that Cyberpunk wasn't even really playable on Xbox One/PS4 systems at launch and was also an extremely buggy and messed up game launch as well.

Had Cyberpunk been a decently performing game with a good amount of stability (IE, no real game breaking bugs, but still funny ones like Bethesda games or Roach appearing on roofs) the game would have been huge and probably would have been fine if not great for most people.

So reiterating, I'm sure games like Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, GTA 6, God of War 5 and more will have some extremely crazy hype surrounding them (though I'm pretty sure it won't hit Cyberpunk levels) that hype will almost certainly be matched or exceeded for a lot of people because I can pretty much guarantee that those games will be stable releases and within an acceptable margin of error of performance and bugginess as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.