• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2018
With people in ERA discussing a lot about X franchise getting in or what would happen if Y got in, let's talk about the slot that isn't really discussed much, the "No on asked for this" or "No one saw that coming" slot. Since Melee, at least one slot is usually left for a character that wasn't a top request, but an out there one, usually odd in design and deliberately their to get a "Wait what?!" reaction.

1. Melee had Mr Game and Watch (and possibly Pichu as well though they may just fit into full joke character).
2. Brawl had R.O.B.
3. 4 had the Wii Fit Trainer who explicitly said to be this by Sakurai to be character no one would see coming.
4. And then in Ultimate we had the Piranha Plant.

What are people general feeling about these ones? Do you like this tradition? Also if you were to pick one for say a DLC slot of for a SSB6, who or what would you pick?

Some guidelines (don't have to follow)
1. A character no one (or more likely very few) asked for.
2. Would have a unique moveset or/and gimmick
3. Fun to play
4. An out there or odd design.
5. From a First Party Nintendo game (since it's unlikely Nintendo would pay up for a 3rd Party character just for a joke)

Who would you choose?

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Ring Fit character. Shades of the Wii Fit trainer but could have a pretty interesting move set. Bonus if you get to use the ring-con as an input.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Don't forget Melee has the Ice Climber, a duo who only had one pretty forgotten NES game prior to that.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

all of his moves and techniques are baseball-themed

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I know some people have asked for them occasionally but I think Chibi Robo fits 2-5 on the criteria. The fact he has to remain powered could be used interestingly, along with his power cord and attachments.

As a completely out there pick, maybe an Excitebike or a rider that incorporates Excitebike/Truck/Bots into their movesets.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Dizzy

I think he's so obscure by today's standards that no-one asked for him.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Nintendo Labo character.
Brain training.
Ring Fit Adventure character
Another Mario character...
Just a kart as a character (without the driver), from Mario Kart.

1JlGyqe.png

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
My Pick: Tingle for the Legend of Zelda games:

Looking it up, he seems to be a character not requested much despite their fame, he'd get a "Wait what!?" reaction, you could do some really interesting things with his gimmicks from the games like his balloons, map making etc and would be a fun addition. Plus it work doubly address Zelda fans who've been want a new rep for years.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Its got to be Adam from Other M.

Shit character in a loathed game in a beloved franchise.

He operates remotely, deploying AI marines into battle while he authorises and deauthorises their abilities from a dashboard controlled by the player in the corner of the screen. The combat style is the constant authorisation of over the top weapons, while shutting others off, and switching his AI marines between different AI combat styles.

His Final Smash is the only time he physically appears, to sacrifice himself to launch the arena in to space to self destruct and kill enemy players in a pointless and overly dramatised moment complete with terrible writing. He is then replaced by Metro's Fusion's AI Adam, that the player continues to use to control his combat dashboard until the end of the match.

Game crashes if Adam is fighting against all Samus players, as they become so subservient to him they are unable to act rationally and just freeze.

No one wanted this. And yet it would play completely differently to any other character, using a dashboard to real time micro manage an AI player in terms of abilities and combat styles, while leaving the battle to the actual AI.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile.
She would hype many people imo, despite not really being asked for. A lot of "who?" reactions would be inevitable though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you're specifically referring to characters you'd like/expect to see but usually aren't the center of conversation, Arle from Puyo Puyo and Sol from Guilty Gear.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Oh and a Killer Instinct rep, I'd definitely go with Fulgore. Surprising to see how few people actually ask for him.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
King Boo. I don't know if no one asked for him but I'm sure he's not highly requested at least.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Ken Griffey Jr.

Starred in a series of first party baseball games on Nintendo systems. It counts!

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
John Raimi from Geist.

1. A character no one (or more likely very few) asked for - check
2. Would have a unique moveset or/and gimmick - check (possession)
3. Fun to play - check
4. An out there or odd design - (was a) boring white dude so fails there
5. From a First Party Nintendo game (since it's unlikely Nintendo would pay up for a 3rd Party character just for a joke) - check

(I don't actually want John Raimi from Geist to be added to Smash)

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
People saying Crash and Master Chief haven't really understood the question, huh?

My character that no one asked for would be Musashi from Sushi Striker or a Nintendo Labo character.

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
Thinking about it, it is kinda weird no one really thinks of R.O.B. as an odd inclusion to the games, he's not really a video game character but a console accessory and not a popular one back in the day, really only there because of the troubles Nintendo had getting NES's in stores because of the 83 crash.

Not saying I'm mad, ROB is a fun characters and don't deserve to be there, just odd when you think about what ROB was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any character who wouldn't make at least one pocket of fans happy.

Its got to be Adam from Other M.

Shit character in a loathed game in a beloved franchise.

He operates remotely, deploying AI marines into battle while he authorises and deauthorises their abilities from a dashboard controlled by the player in the corner of the screen. The combat style is the constant authorisation of over the top weapons, while shutting others off, and switching his AI marines between different AI combat styles.

His Final Smash is the only time he physically appears, to sacrifice himself to launch the arena in to space to self destruct and kill enemy players in a pointless and overly dramatised moment complete with terrible writing. He is then replaced by Metro's Fusion's AI Adam, that the player continues to use to control his combat dashboard until the end of the match.

Game crashes if Adam is fighting against all Samus players, as they become so subservient to him they are unable to act rationally and just freeze.

No one wanted this. And yet it would play completely differently to any other character, using a dashboard to real time micro manage an AI player in terms of abilities and combat styles, while leaving the battle to the actual AI.

Never mind it's this one.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Two words:

QUEEN
BEAN

db4uemh-b4dfabb3-a9a7-48ac-83af-ed774639a455.png

EDIT: I really think a Mario & Luigi Superstar Sage sprite person with attacks that reference more of the game would be lovely, so now I'm officially asking for it.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Honestly, it's already in the game, but I have a hard time thinking of who could've asked for the koopas jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.