• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I heard this via Facebook comments a while back and ignored it. I thought it was just some birther crap, and I later saw on Snopes that it was false. But then I saw an article from the Star Tribune of Minnesota (not a right wing rag as far as I know) questioning the issue and leaving it open-ended:

New documents revisit questions about Rep. Ilhan Omar's marriage history
Although she has legally corrected the discrepancy, she has declined to say anything about how or why it happened.

New investigative documents released by a state agency have given fresh life to lingering questions about the marital history of Rep. Ilhan Omar and whether she once married a man — possibly her own brother — to skirt immigration laws.

Omar has denied the allegations in the past, dismissing them as "baseless rumors" first raised in an online Somali politics forum and championed by conservative bloggers during her 2016 campaign for the Minnesota House. But she said little then or since about Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, the former husband who swept into her life in 2009 before a 2011 separation.

The questions surfaced again this month in a state probe of campaign finance violations showing that Omar filed federal taxes in 2014 and 2015 with her current husband, Ahmed Hirsi, while she was still legally married to but separated from Elmi.

Also, apparently, Trump is now in on it.

So is this just another conspiracy theory or what?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I was going to post more about this in the politics OT yesterday, but Ben Shapiro retweeted an article about it, and I checked it out. Literally EVERY SINGLE paragraph about evidence ends with some form of "the evidence was destroyed".

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a conspiracy theory, it's just being picked up by centrists/liberals now because they turned on Omar for not being cool with concentration camps.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It's right-wing bullshit going around since 2016 being signal boosted by Wohl, Loomer, and now DonnyJr and Trump.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i was going to make a "notice how they have the same last name???" joke but no they literally don't what the fuck is this dollar store conspiracy bullshit

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm confused about is, what is the reason behind saying that the first husband is her brother? I can't find anything substantiating that (if it even exists)

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Well there's zero proof it's real and naysayers take her denial and the lack of evidence it's real as proof that it's real, so what do you think?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the proliferation of rumours or "jokes" around bs like this works as a malicious tool -- the shred of people (not you OP) who don't have the time to find out more hear it enough times and then it gets "legitimized" by a news outlet and all of a sudden you're defending your pizza shop that's been branded a pedo ring

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Title should just clarify that there's nothing about her marrying her brother outside of being an attempt to slander her with disproven conspiracy bullshit.

No need to signal boost 'I'm just asking questions' type of rhetoric.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard this via Facebook comments a while back and ignored it. I thought it was just some birther crap, and I later saw on Snopes that it was false. But then I saw an article from the Star Tribune of Minnesota (not a right wing rag as far as I know) questioning the issue and leaving it open-ended:

Also, apparently, Trump is now in on it.

So is this just another conspiracy theory or what?

Sje has issued extremely strong denials recently and frequently and that Star Tribune article chose to post weirdly soft non-quotes about those. Star Tribune btw:

n 2014, the Star-Tribune was acquired by Glen Taylor, owner of the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves. Taylor, a former Republican state senator, said that the Star Tribune would be less liberal under his ownership. However, he said that the newspaper had already begun a shift and he would focus on accurately reporting both sides of all issues.[25][

So I'd look at other reporting too.

May 29, 2019
She called them baseless rumors, and then Trump did the one thing he is very good at, distraction, so I guess it is a good idea to make a thread about it before researching it a bit yourself?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
THE CONSPIRACY TO COVER UP THE SECRETLY DOUBLE-MARRIAGE OF ILHAN OMAR TO THE KENYAN-ALCAIDAN TWIN BROTHER OF BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA'S TWIN BROTHER

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not have threads on racist conspiracy theories, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.