• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I was wondering about this, but I couldn't find any info online - so I guess this is a good place to ask. When people say which pronouns they want to be addressed by, they usually use two words: he/him, she/her, they/them. My question is - why not just one word? Shouldn't just the "he", "she" or "they" be enough to explain what pronouns the person wants to be used?

I'm sure there is a good reason, and I actually tried to find info about this, but weren't able to.

Thanks to anyone for the answer!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just a way to specify you're recommending the pronouns. If you saw just "he" or "she" or "they" on a twitter profile you'd have no idea that was what they meant.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure where the format was adopted from but people struggle enough with "they" that honestly any additional guidance is of service lol.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I think it's just a way to specify you're recommending the pronouns. If you saw just "he" or "she" or "they" on a twitter profile you'd have no idea that was what they meant.

Yeah, this did occur to me, but wasn't sure. I guess when you write he/him, she/her, they/them etc. - it's more obvious what you mean then just writing he/she/they.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a social media profile, if I write "He/Him", it's clear that I'm referring to pronouns.

Gundam - He/Him - Likes Marshmallows

If it was just "He" or "Him", it's kind of strange looking.

Gundam - Him - Likes Marshmallows
Gundam - He - Likes Marshmallows

It's also a useful format because I can include any number of pronouns I want.

Gundam - He/Him/They - Likes Marshmallows

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
On a social media profile, if I write "He/Him", it's clear that I'm referring to pronouns.

Makes sense, thanks. Now when you say it like that, it should've been obvious to me.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Stuffed-Puffs-Unveils-New-Chocolate-On-Chocolate-Marshmallow-Flavor-678x381.jpg

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Ok, I guess this is it - I got my answer. Thanks everyone for replying. I guess this thread can be closed. Again, thanks everyone.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
As said above, I think the pair is just a signifier that's shorter than writing "My pronouns are ___", which helps in character limited profiles.

Kinda the way a/s/l format is used and you know exactly what they're saying if they write 24/m/Utah without explaining each thing specifically.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've seen instances where people prefer different pronouns for object and subject, if that makes sense? Anyone here like that?

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It helps for neopronouns. Because otherwise you wouldn't be aware of what the pronouns are that are used differently

Status
Not open for further replies.