• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I don't live in the USA, so please excuse my ignorance, but I just can't understand why the sane people of the USA have not taken to the streets to demand Trump be removed from office?

He's bungled the COVID response and caused the death of thousands of Americans. He's sided with white-supremacists and is purposely dividing the country. He's a goddamn tumour that is killing the USA.

Where are the protests? The calls for his removal? Help me understand US-Era, because watching this horror show that is happening in your country is heart-breaking and frustrating.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The election is this year, it makes more sense to focus on getting people registered to vote and making sure no shenanigans interfere with the polls. Protesting to have him removed will accomplish nothing as long as the republicans hold the deciding vote on said action.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
because the chances of congress removing the president in an election year is nil

OP
OP
CaptNink

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
The election is this year, it makes more sense to focus on getting people registered to vote and making sure no shenanigans interfere with the polls. Protesting to have him removed will accomplish nothing as long as the republicans hold the deciding vote on said action.

If he gets in for another term, do you think you will see protests then?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
we've literally been protesting for four years.
this.

protests never stopped.

If he gets in for another term, do you think you will see protests then?
you can see them now?

Your question is more an issue of media coverage than whether protests are actually happening or not. At this point, the only productive protest is for people showing the fuck up to the voting polls when the day comes.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
People have been protesting Trump the whole damn time, since literally minute one. Huge, gigantic protests.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
More or less , majority of the country believes in the institutions so with the election this year the faith is on that.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The mechanism by which Trump could conceivably be removed from office is basically impossible with the current Senate.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Impeachment happened at the beginning of this year and it amounted to nothing of value beyond a historical footnote. It's clear the only way Trump will be realistically kicked out of the White House is via the ballot, so people no longer have delusions that Mueller will Deus ex Machina them out of this mess.

May 26, 2018
Protests will do jack shit because there is only one mechanism to remove him outside the vote and it's controlled by maniacs who wouldn't fire Adolf fucking Hitler.

Voting is all we got. So that's what we are going to do

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Though he lost the popular vote by millions, his supporters are sociopath maniacs with machine guns, no military experience, and klansman complex. We are past the point of protesting this traitorous administration. We have to fucking vote even harder next time I guess.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
This country is "dead" as far as i'm concerned. The fact that polling is still around ~35-40% in favor for him really says enough. This man/and his administration separated families just to be cruel.

This country isn't united in any shape or form and it's just going to continue to go downward from here.

but at least I have MUH FREEDOMS

(that last part was /s if it wasn't obvious)

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
He's a figurehead for some percentage of our populace that is embedded all around us.
I'm laser-focused on helping vote him out of there, but Trump is a symptom, not the disease itself.
The real work is hard, daily, not flashy, vigilant, and locally-focused on turning around fear, racism, greed, and bigotry overall.

Take away the places he draws his power and there won't be a Trump replacement.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
If you relied on the media for the narrative you'd think BLM protests have all stopped as well.
He is being protested daily and has been since the beginning. But he's not going to be removed from office without violence, so unless that's what you're asking for, I'm not sure what you want.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As long as Mitch McConnell is in control of the Senate, protests literally mean nothing. He will never do a single thing to help anyone.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Remember that he's hugely popular with his base, which is not insignificant. Also it's election year.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There are basically three groups of voters in the US who should be considered for this:
  • The 35-40% of the population who fucking love Trump and wouldn't protest against him if he sent them videos of himself sexually assaulting their mothers
  • The ~55% of the population who fucking hate Trump but at this point know that the GOP will protect him at all costs, so there's no point in protesting since nothing will come of it
  • Some small percentage of the population who are, somehow, in between the other two groups and don't feel strongly enough about his actions to bother protesting.
As others have said, the protests will be in the ballot box on Nov. 3.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Just go out and vote actually. It's the easiest way to get rid of him. It blows my fucking mind how many people don't vote. The fastest way to get this asshole out of office is to make sure all of your friends go vote. If you can drive people to the polls sign up to do that. If everyone that complains about Trump voted he likely wouldn't have ever been elected.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
because the chances of congress removing the president is nil
Fixed tbh.

Removal requires a 2/3 Senate majority, and with the current state of the country it's hard to imagine any crime that would actually get that result. You could say "murder someone live on national television" but Trump has basically done that with Covid. So.....

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I don't get it. Did you miss the impeachment? Did you miss the year long Russia investigation? Did you miss the actual protests? People have been doing a lot of protesting in various ways. The next giant protest will be in early November.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
What a silly OP. The USA has had the biggest protests in its history multiple times during the Trump administration.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Just out of curiosity, does the US have any plausible way to remove someone from office? Here in Spain for example, as we have five "major" political parties as well as tons of minor ones, and back in 2018 some of them got together, achieved more than 51% of the votes, and did a motion of censure, essentially removing the president and his party from power and changing the whole political landscape, because of some issues like corruption and poor management. Would something even remotely similar to this be possible in there? I know about impeachment and stuff like that, but I don't know if it would mean removing him and the Republicans entirely from power or just removing Trump and putting Pence instead, which arguably is an even worse excuse of a human being.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's as useful as protesting a giant boulder and hoping you'll inspire it to move.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Just out of curiosity, does the US have any plausible way to remove someone from office? Here in Spain for example, as we have five "major" political parties as well as tons of minor ones, and back in 2018 some of them got together, achieved more than 51% of the votes, and did a motion of censure, essentially removing the president and his party from power and changing the whole political landscape, because of some issues like corruption and poor management. Would something even remotely similar to this be possible in there? I know about impeachment and stuff like that, but I don't know if it would mean removing him and the Republicans entirely from power or just removing Trump and putting Pence instead, which arguably is an even worse excuse of a human being.
No, any way of removing Trump would involve the GOP voting in favor of it. Which will not happen

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
We seriously got a "where are the protests?!" thread after months of Black Lives Matter protests?

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
There have been a number of threads like this over the years and they all miss how spread out the US population is. Shutting down NY, DC, and LA isn't going to have any impact on Trump voters. The vast majority of his support is in rural areas and would be completely unaffected by mass protests in the cities.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
We've been protesting for years, the organizing helped result in a change of parties in the House of Representatives, and they subsequently impeached him for illegal activity. But nothing will change enough minds in the Senate for removal except an election. So now it's time for all of us to vote.

And we just had some of the largest demonstrations the US has seen in t past two months.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I created this thread. I was asking for some enlightment because I'm an outsider with questions.

You begin from a place of incredulous judgment "Where are the protests?" You deserve to be met with incredulity yourself.

Took literally one second to google this.

BLM protests are the biggest social justice protests in the country's history as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.