• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Kojima game is better?

• Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 68 63.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I'm in a very peculiar place.

A number of weeks ago, I was incredibly hyped to purchase Death Stranding, but due to really getting into Luigi's Mansion 3, finally playing Okami HD, and Pokemon Shield releasing this Friday, I decided to forgo picking the game up for now. Response on the game has been split.

I really enjoy the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Played them all and picked up MGS4 at launch, loved it. When Metal Gear Solid 5 was coming around, I... don't know. I just couldn't be bothered to check it out. A few months ago I did play through Ground Zeroes finally and enjoyed it, but MGS5 is a big commitment and I've had other games to play. Response on MGS5 was also split, but for different reasons than Death Stranding.

So this isn't a "recommend which game I should play next" thread, although it almost seems like that's what it wants to be. No, instead it is a thread asking the fans and the haters which game you preferred and why? Many of you will not have beaten Death Stranding yet, so I understand if you want to come in here and cut short the discussion by saying, "It's only been a week, Zassi, so chill."

But help a guy out. What do you think is the better game of the two, and why?

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I disliked MGS5 so much that it's keeping me off DS. Sucks cause I liked all the MGS I've played until then.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I've found Death Stranding to be a far more engaging and well rounded experience. I like MGSV a lot, but there's nothing else like Death Stranding.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Metal Gear Solid V is one of the best action games of this century and a beautiful flawed classic

Death Stranding is something different, but I'm also loving it and I think it'll be among my favorite games of this decade easily.

Will wait until i finish DS but MGSV gets the slight edge

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 10 hours into Death Stranding so I acknowledge my vote isn't quite fair. But I legitimately feel that MGSV has the best gameplay ever, so it would be hard for any game to beat that. Death Stranding is very interesting, but I am not as hooked by the gameplay yet. For me gameplay is the most important part of games, so I think quite highly of MGSV.

OP
OP
Zassimick

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
It's only been a week, Zassi, so chill.
31550.jpg

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
it's been like 4 days

I prefer Death Stranding more because it's new and I played MGS5 like 4 years ago now. I don't know how I'll feel a year from now, even though my initial impressions at around 30 hours are very very high.

If I could magically waive away any newness bias, i'd say Metal Gear Solid 5 stands out in the gameplay field and Death Stranding stands out in being interesting/unique. Depends on what you want?

MGS5 is pure gameplay bliss, no matter how shorted the story feels.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I disliked MGSV a lot. I love Death Stranding.

For me, DS is Kojima's best game since MGS3.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't beaten Death Stranding yet but MGSV takes this. The core gameplay is pretty considerably above DS.

DS is still pretty great overall but it can't touch peak MGS gameplay.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
They're very different games so it's difficult to compare. I loved MGS5 but there's something about Death Stranding that keeps drawing me in. I think I'm just looking for new experiences now and games like Death Stranding, Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds just scratch that itch.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played DS yet, but MGSV was so unbelievably terrible that I can't imagine anything else being worse.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't played death Stranding, but I dislike mgs V a whole lot. So death Stranding wins by default

Oct 25, 2017
Why are yall so impatient on a final decision for a game that's barely 4 days old? Guaranteed all impressions here will morph over the next week, let alone month. How can a recommendation be done fairly between a completely known quantity people have had 4 years to soak in and a game most people have only owned for 24-48 hours?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I'm in a very peculiar place.

A number of weeks ago, I was incredibly hyped to purchase Death Stranding, but due to really getting into Luigi's Mansion 3, finally playing Okami HD, and Pokemon Shield releasing this Friday, I decided to forgo picking the game up for now. Response on the game has been split.

I really enjoy the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Played them all and picked up MGS4 at launch, loved it. When Metal Gear Solid 5 was coming around, I... don't know. I just couldn't be bothered to check it out. A few months ago I did play through Ground Zeroes finally and enjoyed it, but MGS5 is a big commitment and I've had other games to play. Response on MGS5 was also split, but for different reasons than Death Stranding.

So this isn't a "recommend which game I should play next" thread, although it almost seems like that's what it wants to be. No, instead it is a thread asking the fans and the haters which game you preferred and why? Many of you will not have beaten Death Stranding yet, so I understand if you want to come in here and cut short the discussion by saying, "It's only been a week, Zassi, so chill."

But help a guy out. What do you think is the better game of the two, and why?
Death stranding while MGSV has god tier gameplay the world design is worse and the lack of setpiece scenes compared to his other games just sort of makes it a good game not a great game like most of his work.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
DS is the better game for me overall. And I actually really like the story now that I've had some time to think about it and had some things clarified.

I was pissed off by MGSV, yes the gameplay is good but I hated the level design which was very uninspired most of the time rather than be elaborate levels like Omega base or the base where you find the Metal Gear and Huey. Then there was the story which felt unfinished, the Act 2 being mostly a repeat of Act 1 until a new cutscene pops up, and Snake being a mute even when he's being talked to directly. Norman is kind of silent as well but he responds atleast.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I've loved everything Kojima has made until now but really disliked Death Stranding, I'm curious what is it that has drawn other people in where it didn't with me?

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is a fresh experience with a gameplay loop that is just as engaging as MGSV

Oct 27, 2017
didnt vote because i dont really feel like these are 2 games you can compare, completely different directions and ends of the spectrum.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving Death Stranding but MGSV is top three game of the generation for me.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is a finished game, so it wins by WO.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I like Death Stranding so far, that's about all I have to add at this point. It's too soon.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
DS is a better game. MGSV felt like this shell of something that was supposed to be so much more. It felt like a collection of cut content rearranged into something resembling a story. It was a huge disappointment with fun moment to moment gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
Still need to play DS but i'm 100% sure DS gameplay is not as good as MGS V but at the same time i'm pretty sure DS has a complete story.

Status
Not open for further replies.