• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the fifth-most popular Mario character?

• Toad

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Wario

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Bowser Jr.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bowsette

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by similar topics for Pokemon and Zelda, I figured we might as well do one for Nintendo's golden goose too. Now obviously this one's gonna be a bit more contested since several of the bigger Mario characters like DK and Yoshi have their own popular spinoff franchises, but the popularity of those is generally eclipsed by the mainline Mario games and Mario Kart so I feel comfortable saying that they should still be considered Mario characters.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
In my head the first character that comes up is Toad but now that I see DK and Yoshi that's pretty tough.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Donkey Kong, with Yoshi lagging behind. Kong's stand-alone games have a long history and had a huge arcade presence too, whereas Yoshi's main appearances are either as a side-kick in other Mario games or relatively niche home console/portable exclusives (none as big as the "big" Super Mario, Zelda, etc. games or as relevant as the DK arcades). Toad definitely got traction due to the New Super Mario games but I don't think it's such a recognized character - if you were to ask random people on the street, I'm sure many would recognize that it's a Mario character, but not the name. Wario is, again, a star of even more niche games and an even less important side-kick in the "party games". Rosalina is even weaker than that. So, I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of:

Donkey Kong > Yoshi > Toad = Wario > Rosalina

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Toad? Are y'all serious? Who likes Toad? It's clearly Yoshi. Answering otherwise should result in a 24 hour ban.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one's hard. Overall I'd say it is Donkey Kong, but he doesn't really stand out as a "Mario" franchise character. It's probably Yoshi or Toad since they're more active characters in the mainline Super Mario games.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Reminder that we generally restrict both poll threads and threads based on other threads. We can visit this topic again in the future, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.