• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
You see it all the time. Somebody posts anything related to Raimi's Spider-Man movies, even the most innocuous thing like "I liked the suit" and they'll instantly get a tsunami of "wow Raimi fans are all out today" replies.

Don't take me wrong, I like both franchises for different reasons but it's always seemed odd to me how defensive MCU fans can get

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
why are raimi spider-man fans so insecure about mcu spider-man

goes both ways

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A better question would be-why does a celebration and discussion of a modern Spider-Man film need to have people charge in and say "I haven't seen this yet but it will never be as great as Spider-Man 2. Tobey Forever!"

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
A better question would be-why does a celebration and discussion of a modern Spider-Man film need to have people charge in and say "I haven't seen this yet but it will never be as great as Spider-Man 2. Tobey Forever!"

source.gif

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Think it's a forum thing. I post sometimes on another forum dedicated to superhero stuff and it just seems the majority hate MCU Spidey, it's more of a back and forth battle here though.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Spider man threads are the new TLJ threads.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this place still generally regard Spiderman 2 as the greatest hero film ever?

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to turn into a, "Nuh uh! You do it moar!" real quick.

And then both sides point fingers for 5 pages, then thread dies.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
This. As someone else mentioned in a different thread it feels like you can judge the success of a modern Spider-Man movie by how immediately it causes people to come in and beg you not to forget about Sam Raimi's movies.

Jun 12, 2018
So do people really actually like the MCU suits over the Raimi ones? I swear the MCU suits look hella fake and shiny, as if Tom Holland wasn't actually there on the set.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

None of them have been as good as Spider-Man 2 though.

So do people really actually like the MCU suits over the Raimi ones? I swear the MCU suits look hella fake and shiny, as if Tom Holland wasn't actually there on the set.

They've got worse CGI than a film made 15 years ago. Sorry state of affairs.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's called Little Ben Syndrome, where any trace of Uncle Ben is so little felt, they have to compensate.

I'm kidding tho. As someone who has enjoyed many different portrayals of Pete, I don't see the point in dogging the best portrayal since the Raimi films, and I see that happening a lot under the larger discussion of "MCU films being bland."

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's a stupid argument because everyone knows The Amazing Spider-Man was the best version /s

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Brand loyalty and tribal thinking. It's nerd culture in general. They feel super tied to a property or brand and will defend their preference without fully knowing why except for NO YOU.

I've been known to do this with Star Wars. :)

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yea, I'm not sure this is the case, this might be your perception.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You see it all the time. Somebody posts anything related to Raimi's Spider-Man movies, even the most innocuous thing like "I liked the suit" and they'll instantly get a tsunami of "wow Raimi fans are all out today" replies.

Don't take me wrong, I like both franchises for different reasons but it's always seemed odd to me how defensive MCU fans can get
Lol, its the Raimi fans who are insecure as fuck

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep.

Raimi fans can be one of the most annoying fanbases around, probably edged out the superman fans who constantly argue about his outfits which all essentially look the same.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man 2 is pretty below average. My personal opinion is that it is trash and toby mac sucks as peter parker and spider-man. never understand why people love this movie so much.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
There is an almost toxic elitism with not just the MCU Spider-man, but the MCU in general, with a group of today's fans.

It's not just Spider-man stuff either.

I see it with MCU vs. Star Wars too, and other movies and genres.

A contingent of this generation of movie-goers thinks they are in the golden age of cinema and take pride in taking shots at stuff like X-Men movies, Star Wars, Raimi Spider-man, DCU, Jurassic Park/World, hell, even Chris Nolan's Batman movies, Avatar, Godzilla...

Any potential "Big Blockbuster Summer Popcorn" movie gets immediate comparison, usually from Box Office tallies or Review Metascoring.

It's sad, really. They see the MCU as untouchable. Some strange cornerstone that must be lifted and held up, even when it can do it on its own. It's weird to see.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I put my hands up and admit it—

I can't tell if this is just a double-meta trolling thread, or a legit one that doesn't realise its a projection thread.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
both sides are annoying

the real answer is spidey 1 and 2 are fucking classics, kevin feige himself would tell you that, that far from home post credits scene exists for a reason, and the MCU has an awesome spidey as well.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Raimi movies are trash, end of.

And I'm not even a Spider-man fan or anything remotely similar...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think in most places it's generally regarded as one of the best of all time.

Not even seeing it within 5 on a few random lists I've browsed through. Dark Knight and Logan have been consistently on there though

MCU fans think their average popcorn flicks are something special. They're not.
To be fair, there are ton of absolutely terrible to mediocre actions films. At their worst, Marvel films are better than most of them

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the love for Raimi's films comes from people my age (mid-30s) that are more Sam Raimi fans than just Spider-Man fans. That, and between the way his third movie turned out (Sony ruining it with their meddling), and how the fourth never came together, there's kind of a resentment between them and the franchise.

I like the MCU movies, though.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be really disappointed if there doesn't end up being a "Virgin Raimi fan vs Chad MCU fan" image in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.