• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
To have a sound mind that is capable of complex thinking and properly caring for others.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because that's not what's going to happen? And a defeatist attitude in general is probably going to make these problems only bigger.
Not that agree with OP about being drunk or high all the time. I do have to echo his thought on our planet being fucked.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
I'm all for enjoying life and alcohol among other drugs (within reasonable amounts) are definitely a part of that. Not caring about your own well-being though, will lead you down negative path not only for you but for those around you as well.
Climate change is a real threat to society and the people living in it, it is not the end of civilization.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Your liver.

And though while I do share your pessimism, I hope you're voting green at least.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Not that agree with OP about being drunk or high all the time. I do have to echo his thought on our planet being fucked.
Rising sea levels and all that entails will definitely bring a lot of misery to the world. The idea that we'll all be dead in two decades though, is ludicrous. Thinking we'll be dead anyway or it's too late, doesn't help anybody. There is still so much that can be done.

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Climate change is not going to kill you. What will happen is that your friends will gradually drift away from you as they they develop their lives. People will avoid you because you're drunk all of the time. Your physical and mental health will deteriorate. You'll become bitter and angry. And then you'll have to deal with that reality.

Sounds fun, right?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because the days and nights along the way will do more damage in the here and now than that. Not that everybody should be sober, but if you're asking, it is something to consider.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I don't get drunk that often. This is just your garden variety weekend thread, as it is a Saturday night (timezones exist) and I am drinking wine.
Seriously don't over think this.

But I do believe climate change will fuck us over in such a short period of time. Honestly 20 years feels hopeful to me, I'm that far gone on climate despair.

Last edited:

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Sorry for spamming this thread, but (solely based on this post) I think you probably know this to not be true but are looking for reasons to tell yourself why it is okay not to take care of yourself.

My point is that even though I think OP's points aren't correct, it's better to focus on pointing out why it is worth to care for ourselves, instead of criticizing OP's points and make this a thread were we can help, rather then put somebody down.

Edit: okay, I'm overthinking this. Still, OP: even if you believe this to be true: do whatever you can to make it not true and prove yourself wrong.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Having a drink every now and again is not a problem, heavy drinking everyday is another story.

Last edited:

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Because you only live in the moment. Tomorrows is yet to come and yesterday will never come back.
If you choose to get intoxicated now, you might think it's fun and helps, but you rob yourself of the present moment. As an ex-addict:
Nothing is better than a sound and sober mind. It's not always easy, but the other option is a siren's call that will drag you down. A false promise of happiness that fills the void inside. It won't heal you.

It's about finding meaning apart from the going ons in the world. True intrinsic meaning. The world will never be perfect or even good and life is hard. Yet some people who actually face terror and despair every day are some of the happiest. They found peace within. Sometime just being alive is enough of a blessing.
Take care of yourself and the beauty of existence reveals itself. It's hard to see beauty if your head is under water.

And even if you don't want to face the concious decision to get drunk because everything is meaningless you will have to face the consequences regardless, whatever they might be. You might become depressed. You might become ill. You might get bitter. And the worst: You might look back and regret not making the decision you should have made. Yesterday will never come back but what you did yersterday makes you what you are today.

I stopped drinking 4 weeks ago and writing this, I think I smoked my last cig for good. Fuck that shit.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Smoke weed and drink everyday, shrooms on occasion but more often nowadays (thanks covid). It all mixes together just right đź‘Ś. Though ive been a week now without drinking and have had no issues with it.

Edit: But I dont agree with your climate change take, im just 20 man i dont to be dead when im 40.

Edit 2: Why is this thread so doom and gloom?

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Climate change is not going to kill you. What will happen is that your friends will gradually drift away from you as they they develop their lives. People will avoid you because you're drunk all of the time. Your physical and mental health will deteriorate. You'll become bitter and angry. And then you'll have to deal with that reality.

Sounds fun, right?

Spot on

Oct 27, 2017
I have tasted a few drops (not even zips, really) of one or two alcoholic beverages (most by accident, a couple to prove others that I wouldn't like it) but I have never drunk. Ever. Not when I was a teen, not as an "experiment", not socially. Not a shot or not even half a glass of wine or three-quarters of a beer bottle. Never. And I have never felt the need to, nor the appeal. I don't feel I missed out on anything, or at least anything I would be sad for missing out in the first place.

That being said, if you want to drink, more power to you. Just do it responsibly, please. Short-term and long-term consequences of alcohol abuse are dire. Nobody's life has ever improved by virtue of being drunk and not controlling oneself.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I don't get drunk that often. This is just your garden variety weekend thread, as it is a Saturday night (timezones exist) and I am drinking wine.
Seriously don't over think this.

But I do believe climate change will fuck us over in such a short period of time. Honestly 20 years feels hopeful to me, I'm that far gone on climate despair.

You wrote "Why be sober when you can be not sober?" - this reads as "I want to be drunk all the time". It's not overthinking to come to that conclusion, it's pretty much taking the sentence literally, especially when it's combined with (paraphrased) "we're fucked in 20 years, what's the point?"

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative - enjoy your wine!

As for climate change, I think life will get tougher for a lot of people and easier for others. Some people will be fucked over and some will profit. I think we'll keep on living, distracting ourselves, fucking and reproducing because that's what we do, but I don't think there will be a mass extinction event for humans at least (meaning, maybe a few million will die, but not a significant chunk of the population).

I also believe at some point we'll get out shit together on this and start to take some action. That action won't be enough, but it wouldn't have been enough if we started 30 years ago, but it will do something.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One of my best friends drank himself to death in my house a few months ago. I don't wanna look like that. Dude looked and felt like shit all the time. Lost all drive and motivation for anything and died of decompensated chronic alcoholic liver disease within 24 hours of calling him an ambulance when he finally accepted the help. Most of the time he was functional enough. Towards the end he stopped giving a fuck about anything and just lay there on my couch drinking. I don't think he expected to die. He was 33.

I'm all for a couple o drinks Randy Bobandy. In fact, I drink more than I should and have done for a long time. What I did find in the times where I haven't drank for a week or so is that I feel so much better overall. Sleep, skin, energy, motivation, etc... all get a lot better. Sobriety is a helluva drug. Addiction is a helluva disease.

As for the climate change stuff, I also have similar feelings to yourself, ableit maybe a touch more hopeful and I intend to live my life responsibly and do what I can to play my part in helping with the issues we face. Sure, it seems a bit redundant when comparing myself to say the pollution from vehicles and I have already decided that I don't want to bring a child up in this world as I don't want them to have to face the problems if and when they get worse because I think that would be unfair. If it ends up that climate change caused by humankind does actually kill us off or at least radically fuck up the planet to the point where we have to go through inconceivable changes, then so be it I guess. I don't have faith in the powerful corporations that are the biggest polluters to fix things. I can just do my bit, recycle, be environmentally conscious and publically oppose things that will not help. After that, I figure I have done what I can.

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Having known a few bad alcoholics I can say they, and those around them are much happier when they are sober.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

TOOL - Sober

Get The New Album “Fear Inoculum” Available Now: http://smarturl.it/TOOLFIa?iQid=yt Listen to TOOL’s Full Catalog – Available Now: http://smarturl.it/TOOLCat...

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like shit the following day when I'm not sober so I just stopped drinking a few years back and it has been great.

Oct 27, 2017
Those who deny the effects of climate change will be in for a nasty awakening in a few years time.

No one is denying the effects of climate change, and positioning their stance as this is disingenous at best. What people are saying is that climate change will probably not kill you before heavy drinking does, and that your life will be short and miserable in the meantime.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's not what's going to happen? And a defeatist attitude in general is probably going to make these problems only bigger.
Eh....I dont know I agree with that. Were probably already fucked. It's just a matter of how much we can delay it now. We already have city sized chunks of the artic ice shelves breaking off and melting.

Most scientists admit they underestimated the timeline until it's too late.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Eh....I dont know I agree with that. Were probably already fucked. It's just a matter of how much we can delay it now. We already have city sized chunks of the artic ice shelves breaking off and melting.

Most scientists admit they underestimated the timeline until it's too late.
You really believe humanity will all be dead within 2 decades because of climate change? As far as I know, this is not a credible statement. Some cities will probably end up being washed away. Millions will have to move, stuff like typhoons and droughts will become even worse, but extinction? https://theconversation.com/will-climate-change-cause-humans-to-go-extinct-117691

There is also no upside on thinking this way. It will only lead to more: "nothing we can do about it now" attitudes. Whilst even if we are "too late" doesn't mean there is nothing we can do.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Unless you live in a poor country that will be devastated by warmer climate, climate change aint going to outright kill you.

Humanity as a whole aren't likely to die off either, I see it as unlikely.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Those who assume the worse affects of Climate change will be due to the ocean levels rising will be in for a rude awakening.
Farming land being made uninhabitable is not some minor thing. The climate change refugee crisis won't be some minor thing!

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know man. I've been experimenting with sobriety off and on for the last couple of years and I have to say being sober for a period of time does not suck as much as I thought it would.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really believe humanity will all be dead within 2 decades because of climate change? As far as I know, this is not a credible statement. Some cities will probably end up being washed away. Millions will have to move, stuff like typhoons and droughts will become even worse, but extinction? https://theconversation.com/will-climate-change-cause-humans-to-go-extinct-117691

There is also no upside on thinking this way. It will only lead to more: "nothing we can do about it now" attitudes. Whilst even if we are "too late" doesn't mean there is nothing we can do.
Dead no. Way past the point of stopping the encroaching forces of climate change? Yes. It's not like humanity will die overnight it's still going to take decades for that to happen. But crops will be harder to grow. Cities will start to go under water. And catastrophic weather will become more common.

Honestly it's not the weather that'll kill most people it's most likely the eventual lack of food.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Cause being drunk isn't all that fun for me, I'd rather be at the gym with a good pump, lol. Also, 2 decades, did I miss something?

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Dead no. Way past the point of stopping the encroaching forces of climate change? Yes. It's not like humanity will die overnight it's still going to take decades for that to happen. But crops will be harder to grow. Cities will start to go under water. And catastrophic weather will become more common.

Honestly it's not the weather that'll kill most people it's most likely the eventual lack of food.
It's gonna be a nasty awakening for many, as the effects of climate change encroach much faster than many expect.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly fucking right because those bastard fucking tiger bois fucked over my cat bois and im not a happy boi

also, being sober is over-fucking-rated

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i like drinking so i'm gonna drink (i'm drinking a beer right now).

i know the risks i'm taking. i've seen my family torn apart by drink. i watched my grandad's health deteriorate rapidly because of it. he eventually struggled to walk and forgot who i was. i watched it kill my uncle and my auntie. i seen how it ruined my cousins life. i don't need anyone to tell me what damage i'm doing.

maybe i'll regret it if i die at 45/49 like my uncle/auntie or if i live to 80 and can't walk/remember like my grandad. i'm just gonna do what i want to do now. i'd rather have a drink and die young than not drink than live longer. the sooner i die the better imo. i feel like i'm drinking + smoking just to quickly cut down my life span so i can GTFO. i'm too much of a shitebag to commit suicide so i guess i'll do it slowly.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What does being "sober" even mean, really?
Almost everything is a drug and changes the way you feel and think. Wouldn't recommend alcohol and nicotine, though. Especially not long term.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I have people that care about me and it would be incredibly selfish to destroy my body and that be my lasting memory to them.

I'm a 1-year+ sober from alcohol right now and love my decision.

You may not be in control of the world and it's path, but you are in control of your own dignity.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't exceed one or two drinks per day, for the average day.

I have a former coworker, who I guess would just be considered a friend now on account of him being laid off, who is a functioning alcoholic. He drinks like five or six drinks per day. He's a cool guy and everything, but any time the conversation even gets close to alcohol, it turns into walking on eggshells around him. Like you have to acknowledge somehow that his behavior is bad, but you still feel helpless somewhat, so you don't want to entirely throw him under the bus in some huge soapbox speech or something. Then you start feeling guilty about how maybe you should be doing more to voice your concern about his behavior and all this bullshit.

Basically, just don't be that guy. Besides the obvious negative consequences to your physical health, it starts to slowly erode away at your personal relationships too.

I'm kind of soapbox speeching right now because fuck you, I don't know you that well. But this is what I wish I could say to my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.