• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
There was a block of flats set on fire in Glasgow today (very minimal damage before it was put out) and the majority of the comments are: "Could have been a lot worse! I mean, there's children in there!"

I mean... that's true but there's also young men, women, aspiring professionals, father's, mother's, grandparents, students, hard workers, charity workers, emergency services personnel, teachers... I could go on.

It's a tragedy if any of those people die. It's a tragedy if anyone does. Why do people get extra hung up if it's children? To be clear, I'm not saying it isn't a tragedy if children die, I just don't see why so many people see it as MORE tragic than anyone else.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Let me guess. You are not a parent, aren't you?

As a parent, I would take the bullet before my kids, because if my kids die, my life is ruined anyway. And I would prefer them to have a chance at enjoying life, that I already had for many years.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Children are more innocent. And they haven't had a chance to experience life. Having their lives snuffed out so early is definitely more of a tragedy

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Because they never had a chance. They haven't lived long enough to make any mistakes or to "deserve" it. They are brand new.

TL;DR Its the "What could have been" angle of it.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's pretty self-evident, isn't it? Kids depend on adults to take care of them -- when they die in a tragedy, not only did they have less of a chance to live their lives and experience life, there was a failing of those that were supposed to protect them.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

As a parent, I would take the bullet before my kids, because if my kids die, my life is ruined anyway. And I would prefer them to have a chance at enjoying life, that I already had for many years.

Its not just a parent thing either. I have a baby sister who is 10 years younger than me and I would walk through fire for her without a second thought.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned that this needed to be explained

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
61x5qx.jpg

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

but that's your kids. i'm sure many people feel the same way about their siblings or friends, but that's because there is some personal connection. the question is why is it more of a tragedy when a random kid dies than when a random 20 something year old dies.

though to be honest, i don't think people (young or old) dying is enough to qualify as a tragedy, for the word "tragedy" to actually carry some meaning.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

That makes complete sense because they are your children. What reason would you have to have more sympathy for a stranger child over say, a stranger 21 year old student?

Oct 25, 2017
but that's your kids. i'm sure many people feel the same way about their siblings or friends, but that's because there is some personal connection. the question is why is it more of a tragedy when a random kid dies than when a random 20 something year old dies.
Because that random child is relatively innocent, and because that random child has not had any chance to grow up and experience life, while at least the older person has.

Both are tragedies, but this is SUPER easy to understand.

gotta be honest, some of the threads like this on here scare me

Yeah every once in a while I really hope I don't end up finding out someone murdered somebody and people ignored the warning signs. :/

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to be blood related to have empathy for the defenseless.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So? The older you get the less that potential can be realised.

I personally don't see how that makes your death any less tragic. Dying early at any point is tragic, whatever the age or reason.

Unless you were trampled by an elephant you were trying to poach, in which case margaritas all round.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Does this really need explaining?
Because children are much more vulnerable than us adults, so of course we are predisposed to care and protect them more. So when we see children dying, of course we see that as a big tragedy, because we failed to protect them. They didn't even had a chance to experience life, and that is sad.

I'm I don't need to be a parent to feel that way.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Additionally they have no real control over the situation that killed them. They didn't choose to be there. They lack the experience to protect themselves. They are helpless and died because of the cruelty and/or failure of others.

I usually hate resetera trademark snark but this is one instance where it seems appropriate. This is a strange question op.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1) They have just started their lives, as many others said.
2) They are innocent, as many others said.
3) They didn't have any choice to be in the situation they were in which led to the tragedy.
4) Parents tend to easily empathize with children and parents by imagining how they would feel.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I personally don't see how that makes your death any less tragic. Dying early at any point is tragic, whatever the age or reason.

Unless you were trampled by an elephant you were trying to poach, in which case margaritas all round.

What do you not see? People have explained this to you in this thread that you started. Are you wilfully ignoring them? What don't you understand?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I guess but the majority of people under 40 are still in a position where they have untapped potential and can do something great.

It's not just "These kids could have been Doctors/Teachers," it's more that these kids never got to grow up, fall in love, have a family, etc. They never got to experience the good parts of becoming an adult.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed this question was asked and apparently requires explanation. I mean honestly.

Children are innocence defined. The younger the child, the closer they are to a kind of human purity of thought, unpolluted by the world, they're blameless, dependant. They've not had time to be complicated by maturity, for this clarity to become muddled by anything ugly. They're simple, beautiful. The default setting is to protect them. The death of a child is a failure, the literal death of innocence, a life cut short before it had a chance to experience....well, anything. If you can't grasp why that's sadder than the death of an adult then you're basically missing some crucial essence of humanity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.