• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly as a title says
Thier games have large budgets, sell well and has alot of advertising. So how comes whenever talk about japanese AAA games are happening, they arent really ever mentioned?
Is it becuase alot of thier games arent "relaistic" ?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I typically see people correlate "AAA" with realism. So Nintendo is usually discounted

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Don't think I've ever seen anyone discount them being non AAA… well they're more of like a varied AAA, not every single title is of that quality but would never see them as not that,

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
I didn't realize they were excluded. If that's true, it's absurd. To not consider BOTW, for example, a "AAA" release is to fully empty the term of whatever small amount of meaning it possesses.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For the same reason that people say that Super Smash Bros is not a fighting game, that turn based RPG don't sell with Pokemon existing and all that.

It doesn't fit some narratives.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
….people don't?

Do they ignore all the switch software that sell 10/20 million plus? Even the Wii and DS era?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Never in my life have I seen anyone deny Nintendo as a AAA developer. Perhaps people would say certain games are not AAA, which is fair based on Nintendo's varied project scale, but to assert Nintendo is not a AAA developer — literally one of THE AAA developers — is a foreign claim to me. I have never read such a thing. Such a thing is, of course, wrong.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is accurate.

If you asked someone for a AAA 3D platformer, what do you think they will answer with?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Expecting everyone one everywhere to agree on a definition is a folly.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, Breath Of The Wild, my fav indie gem
I've had folks on here weirdly aggressive when bringing up that BotW is a huge budget game (because they're very into the idea of Nintendo as this enlightened brand that isn't spending big bucks to make them). Mind you, it was a particular crowd that isn't really here anymore, but yeah.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
I have seen some takes like this but more about which games get the money. Like I've people say Kirby and The Forgotten Land is the first Kirby game with a Triple A budget or that Metroid Dread is not a Triple A game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think saying some people don't see or think of their titles that way is probably accurate but I suspect that most people are fully aware that the majority of Nintendo's 1st party output is very much AAA.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes a wide variety of games, from BOTW to Wii Sports. If you can't see the difference of scale between those two games then good luck to you out there.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Majority of their games are AA (nothind to do with "realism" )

I only consider title like Zelda/ 3D Mario/ Xenoblade and some other to be major undertaking

Nothing wrong with that...

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard this take before. They are as AAA as it gets. And fairly consistent at that, across many different types of games.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I don't because I see Nintendo outside of the whole "console bubble", as they're marketing themselves as a toy maker.

But they clearly are a AAA developer / publisher, no doubt about it. I bet the budget of their games is definitely in the AAA space, especially considering the Zelda and Mario mainline games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Majority of their games are AA (nothind to do with "realism" )

I only consider Zelda/ 3D Mario/ Xenoblade to be major undertaking.

Nothing wrong with that...
No publisher has a majority of their content being AAA - not SE, Bamco, Konami, Capcom or anything. Its not really realistic so if that the reason why people would dismiss Nintendo as a japanese publisher of AAA game thats quite ridiculous.

If you dont think once a generation games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing or Smash Bros. are AAA projects i dont know what to tell you.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said they are? Heck people; myself including buy their consoles for Nintendo exclusives. (PC and Switch here, had every Nintendo console ever outside of the Virtual Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.