• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've been playing through the series, recently finishing up Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate. I don't recall a single curse word in any of those games. I get to Odyssey, and I've heard "fuck" or "fucking" like eight times before leaving Kepphalonia. Are the developers trying to be "edgy"? Was there a lot of cursing in ancient Greece, moreso than victorian London or 1780's France? I'm not particularly bothered by it, but the frequency just has me confused, as it's so jarring compared to dialogue from previous games in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing with RE2. I mean I get it, we're all adults here. I'm guilty of it on occasion, swearing up a storm when I'm frustrated. But these characters just drop the fucks in there like it's part of their image. It makes Leon sound immature.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
What? Are you asking if there is cursing in real life and/or as an extension to that historic times? Bro, the ancient Greeks weren't worried about swearing, they were busy having orgies... in public.

If anything games don't reflect the language used in real life because in America violence is okay, but sex and to a smaller extent, cursing, are not what Jesus would want.

Don't mind this guys throat being slit, or a machine gun putting rounds through this other man, some bad words and that's the red line.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Malakas!

I honestly don't remember characters just dropping F-bombs left and right although I will say I'm used to it in settings like Spartacus. I feel like "baser" times call for baser culture, so that kind of crassness feels right.

OP
OP
SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What? Are you asking if there is cursing in real life and/or as an extension to that historic times? Bro, the ancient Greeks weren't worried about swearing, they were busy having orgies... in public.

If anything games don't reflect the language used in real life because in America violence is okay, but sex and to a smaller extent, cursing, are not what Jesus would want.

Don't mind this guys throat being slit, or a machine gun putting rounds through this other man, some bad words and that's the red line.

Did you read where I said I'm not bothered by it?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing with RE2. I mean I get it, we're all adults here. I'm guilty of it on occasion, swearing up a storm when I'm frustrated. But these characters just drop the fucks in there like it's part of their image. It makes Leon sound immature.

I thought Claire's ingame dialogue was amazing for the situation (and really naturally delivered too) - there is an argument about detracting from the atmosphere, but I found more often than not her gameplay interjections exactly matched how I was going to respond.

I also thought this is what the thread was going to be about. That's basically a comma in Greek, so it fits.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Did you read where I said I'm not bothered by it?

Okay, but this is just weird "Was there a lot of cursing in ancient Greece, moreso than victorian London or 1780's France?".

There was probably more cursing and adventurous uses of language in history than there is now. A lot of the depictions of gratuitous violence, sex and general promiscuity come from Ancient Greece.

Honestly, the main reason it feels "out of place" or you're not used to it is simply because game devs are still worried putting swearing in games might upset those that perceive their red lines to be around language. If you have an incredibly violent movie, or a movie based around say, the Mafia or gangs, creators don't think twice about bad language.

Many of these games already have high ratings because of their violence, it's not as if saying fuck 8~12 times throughout 20 hours was ever going to increase the rating from where it probably already is.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I agree, I curse lot in real life too but only when it's needed, in some modern games I feel like they cursed just a little bit too much. Like totally unnecessarily so.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I grew up in the UK with a mother who swears like a sailor so it seems natural to me.

Can't say I noticed it more or less in aco though so it certainly wasn't jarring. The games length certainly was though!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's probably more akin to real world compared to your usual low rating chaser AAA games. I don't even remember that much cursing in the game

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory:

Nayttokuva_2015-3-25_kello_8.50.52.png

Violence is ok, but that cursing....

Last edited:
OP
OP
SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
For those not really understanding the thread, I'm wondering why there is so much cursing in comparison to previous games in the series which did NOT have excess cursing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
For those not really understanding the thread, I'm wondering why there is so much cursing in comparison to previous games in the series which did NOT have excess cursing.

perhaps because with Odyssey there's (what i assume is) hundreds more scripted scenarios, and being an "adult" game naturally you'll net more potty words. a better game to compare it to in this regard is Origins

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I swear like it's nobody's business since I was like 5 (thanks Robocop 😅) but the way it's done in videogames is often really cheesy and seems forced to me.

Like it's some rated M badge of honor or something to insert obligatory swears.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
People curse all the time in the real world, well I do anyway and I never really noticed it in AC Odyssey.

I'm playing Days Gone though and it does seem overdone in that, try taking a shot every time you hear the term "sonsofbitches".

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Because it's a grownup game for grownup gamers

... Maybe i'm also getting old, but i often cringe at extremely gratuitous and out of place profanity in games. If it's inserted organically in a sentence, then by all means, but how often is that the case?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't feel much different to the amount of swearing I hear in day-to-day life, so I never really took notice.

It's no House of the Dead: Overkill, in any case. I wonder if that still holds the world record for most profanity in a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Man too many Odyssey threads. Not a bad thing but it's just making wanna reinstall it and I've got too much to play right now.

Kassandra had some incredible malakas in that game. Love her.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it's a grownup game for grownup gamers

... Maybe i'm also getting old, but i often cringe at extremely gratuitous and out of place profanity in games. If it's inserted organically in a sentence, then by all means, but how often is that the case?
People swear, all the damn time. Without set up, without context, without reason. People just swear

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The dialog is just satire tire all the time, it's a completely different tone than Origins or every other AC. It's very out of place and feels more like a GTA game. I don't like it personally.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Hate this too. Not only in games but everywhere.

I suppose the use of "fuck" is more common in English than it's translation in my language, so most sentences becomes very "ugly" and most of the time translators have to find a more mild word to use.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm actually glad that recent games are more open to swears. Everyone swears all the time IRL, so it helps my immersion.

Oct 29, 2017
It's because Ubisoft games are aimed almost exclusively at 10-18 year old boys; the market that associates violence, sex and gratuitous swearing with being "mature".

As a result, all Ubisoft games (and even their live conferences) are absolutely filled with unnecessary swearing. Just look at Beyond Good and Evil 2 compared to the first game, it's outright offensive; and its painfully obvious that they're pandering hard to this group.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't even give it a second thought most times but I grew up with a mother who has a sailors mouth. People curse a lot, even in the past. I Don't think we are seeing more cursing, and when a franchise like AC doesn't have much of it to suddenly having it I have to assume it's because of the research the devs did on a certain place, culture, and time. Honestly they might be taking their job even more serious with the time periods of AC.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It makes sense in the context.
that being said the writing wasnt good at times so a lot of it did feel somewhat forced.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It's because Ubisoft games are aimed almost exclusively at 10-18 year old boys; the market that associates violence, sex and gratuitous swearing with being "mature".

As a result, all Ubisoft games (and even their live conferences) are absolutely filled with unnecessary swearing. Just look at Beyond Good and Evil 2 compared to the first game, it's outright offensive; and its painfully obvious that they're pandering hard to this group.

Once you hit 19 you sit down to sip tea every night in your slippers whilst playing chess and musing about how the youth are deprived degenerates having sex like rabbits and swearing whilst playing rough-contact sports like Rugby.

RE2 is on the cusp of winning Era GOTY and this forum is largely like 28~32+.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It is very annoying when a video games do this on purpose, it feels to me like they are trying to make edgy teenagers feel like they are grown ups or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.