• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the dude created the Blacks just to make this. But at least is gave J.B soomve a carreer.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't he telling a story about a conversation he overheard? That one?

Then someone overhears him use the word and the joke of the scene is about using that word out of context.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
It's part of his show which is still considered fiction, but it's still a bit weird.

Howard Stern on the other hand would say the word all the time back in the day on his show. Not sure if he does it anymore. Never really understood why he didn't get a ton of shit for it

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wN_0wsYKH5qCUu2unbS3rtosR-6zPMMN_LDRR4N3OvNfGhhp3Dz3dkQaDpMyqNv5Jgbw2r5EbfCQC7E3GM_KAiCs69_jaNHmyF4vl3GoqLi4-U7Lte7rLjSc0aXCBbn-PGMGRRXCkqdygcyCRdKj6_WBmw

OP
OP
Combo

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Wasn't he telling a story about a conversation he overheard? That one?

Then someone overhears him use the word and the joke of the scene is about using that word out of context.
I know the context, but it still isn't acceptable to do so. Even when quoting people you say the N word.

500 years of slavery deserves more sensitivity.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't.

The whole episode is about how the doctor is offended at him using the word.
I think the question of the thread is more or less, why are black face episodes in Always Sunny getting pulled when episodes where a white dude unabashedly says the n word aren't. Similar context where the show is portraying shitty people doing shitty racist things.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Louis CK had a whole bit about the N word which was mostly praised

It really was a pretty good bit, but when when deconstructed it almost feels like he had a bet with a friend that he could come up with a comedic loophole for saying the word.

There are several ways to answer the OP though. The first is that Larry David the character doesn't get away with it. Larry David the actor does get away with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Even though the whole point is to frame Larry in the wrong, this looks to be another relic of humor that snuck in at the time like many other shows/media looking for an excuse to say it (South Park/Louie CK).

Going forward they absolutely need to refrain, and I wonder if the best situation for the episode itself is to recieve a Warner Brothers style disclaimer before it or just ban it all together. I really don't know.
This is such a cinematic shot of one of my favorite moments on the show.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The entire show is based on the premise of Larry saying shit he shouldn't say and the social backlash that ensues. If you disallow every shred of commentary about why a word is wrong, eventually we will have a new generation of kids with zero understanding of why a word is wrong.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think the question of the thread is more or less, why are black face episodes in Always Sunny getting pulled when episodes where a white dude unabashedly says the N word aren't. Similar context where the show is portraying shitty people doing shitty racist things.

If that's the question I think the answer is:

A. The creators/streamers forgot they did this.
B. The creators/streamers think it's ok to keep up.

Always Sunny, Office, and Community are big on streaming and Scrubs was requested by the creator. Curb might have slipped through the cracks.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Louis CK had a whole bit about the N word which was mostly praised until it turned out he was a perverted piece of shit.
whenever I think of time travel that joke does cross my mind.

Also, Curb is a show about a fictional Larry David being called out for being an insensitive offensive idiot all the time.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
After watching the clip I'm wondering if this thread is a joke. He IMEDIATLY gets shit on for saying it...

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the question I think the answer is:

A. The creators/streamers forgot they did this.
B. The creators/streamers think it's ok to keep up.

Always Sunny, Office, and Community are big on streaming and Scrubs was requested by the creator. Curb might have slipped through the cracks.
True. If word gets around about this episode it would likely get pulled too.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Don't forget to crucify him for the episode with him repeatedly talking about a 9 year old girl's pussy rash

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I know the context, but it still isn't acceptable to do so. Even when quoting people you say the N word.

I mean, it's a fictional show about a guy who is a lying piece of shit who never learns or understands the consequences of his actions, and this episode in particular is all about how it's not okay to use the word and Larry tries, and fails, to justify it. So, I don't know. I get he's playing himself in the show, but it's not a documentary.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

It's because unlike the episode of Always Sunny or other programs with blackface, the intended humor isn't in the word itself. The humor is that he's trying to recount a racist conversation he overheard and, in doing so, incurs the type of reaction he himself had upon hearing the other person use the word. It's not the same as the visual humor that Always Sunny was gunning for in depicting Mac in blackface, even if they tried to "balance it out" by having people call him out on it.

Not condoning the Curb episode one way or another, but that's the "why" in why it tends to get a pass: the context in which Larry says it is one of him being mortified by it.

It's likely the same reason why a racist shouting the word at black people would probably incur a different reaction than some absent-minded idiot saying it as they rap to a song.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the premise of this thread is asking why/if "Larry David" the character gets away with using the N word. It's basically the same conversation as the Always Sunny blackface episodes. The answer is that Hulu pulled those episodes proactively anticipating there could be a backlash. HBO must feel there won't be one.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the premise of this thread is asking why/if "Larry David" the character gets away with using the N word. It's basically the same conversation as the Always Sunny blackface episodes. The answer is that Hulu pulled those episodes proactively anticipating there could be a backlash. HBO must feel there won't be one.
HBO just doesn't care. Proof: Bill Maher

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There was an old Fox show about a high school. I can't remember the name of it, didn't watch it regularly. But I do remember watching one episode where one of the (white) teachers decided to have a conversation about the n-word and said it. The black students looked shocked. And that's all I remember of the episode, so I guess whatever message it was trying to convey didn't really outshine the shock value of the white actor saying it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't an actor playing a character who said/says that word get in trouble for it? Is that the question?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Next Era thread: "Why does Larry David get away with wearing a MAGA hat?"
curb_your_enthusiasm_s10.jpg

Companies pulling these eps when no one asked is mad condescending because it pretends that we (black people) don't know what context is. The ep came out in 2007 and the purpose of the joke was to make the audience cringe at how dumb Larry is. I'm sure if people tweet @ HBO they will take the episode down to appease us vs using their power/influence to help end racial injustice. The performative shit these companies are doing around the BLM movement is so tiring.

Goes without saying but black people aren't a monolith so people are free to be disgusted by this.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the whole point of the episode that it is never ok to say it even if you are just recounting hearing another person say it since just saying the word makes you perceived as a racist, no matter the context? There is never a place where Larry David should be saying it, no matter how much he tries to explain that he isnt racist and was just repeating someone else say it.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
That's like saying "how doas Micheal Fassbender get away with whipping slaves in 12 years a Slave?"
It's a fictional character and he gets shit for saying the word. I mean he literally gets blasted by three black people the second he utters the word.

I think it's ok to have characters being ignorant or hateful in work of fiction.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Next Era thread: "Why does Larry David get away with wearing a MAGA hat?"
curb_your_enthusiasm_s10.jpg

Companies pulling these eps when no one asked is mad condescending because it pretends that we (black people) don't know what context is. The ep came out in 2007 and the purpose of the joke was to make the audience cringe at how dumb Larry is. I'm sure if people tweet @ HBO they will take the episode down to appease us vs using their power/influence to help end racial injustice. The performative shit these companies are doing around the BLM movement is so tiring.

Goes without saying but black people aren't a monolith so people are free to be disgusted by this.
This is a great post about all of this. Thank you.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Is humorous commentary not allowed? I'd understand if it were shittily done but the whole point is Larry (the character) is an asshole and he should not get away with saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.