• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I believe Civilization VI, even with all of its expansions, is ultimately not as good as Civilization V, which, with Brave New World, is the best strategy game ever made IMO, it's still a remarkably great strategy game that I like playing a lot. I love that it's available open iOS and Android and Switch in addition to PC (with Switch being my most played version), but I have to wonder why this game is not available on PS4 and Xbox One yet.

It's a fantastic game. Strategy games have a built in audience on PS4 and Xbox One. Civ 6 has great cultural cachet. Both the systems are more than capable of running it, given it runs on Switch. The controls have been adapted for consoles remarkably well with the Switch version. So what's the hold up? While it's unlikely I personally would pick a PS4 or Xbox version over the Switch one, having a potential pool of millions of more players for a very great game is fantastic no matter what. So what's the hold up?

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what these people are doing. Have they even ported the DLC to mobile and Switch yet?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dat Switch gold rush

Honestly not sure, they're probably coming though...with online lol.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Don't worry they'll come with online and reduced price and better everything, basically a reverse of what happens on Switch :p

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" Strategy games have a built in audience on PS4 and Xbox One"

I don't know if this is particularly true, particularly for non-combat oriented ones like Civ. What few that do get released, like say the recent Surviving Mars don't seem to be bothering with releasing DLC there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do strategy games ever sell on console?
Depends?
On Switch, Civilization VI exceeded 2K's expectations; Fire Emblem on Nintendo consoles is one of Nintendo's better selling franchises; Wargroove, a turn based strategy game, earned back its profits in less than a day; Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle sold 2 million units.

The answer is, there's nothing to indicate they don't sell.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as much as PC but this would actually be a good test since it's one of the most recognizable strategy game.

Here's the thing, a lot of strategy games DO release on consoles. They just kind of never get any traction (stellaris, Dungeons 3, Prison Architect, Tropico, etc). It's actually a genre where probably it's just the heavy hitters that are missing.

The only ones that gain traction on console tend to be tactics and combat focused.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Depends?
On Switch, Civilization VI exceeded 2K's expectations; Fire Emblem on Nintendo consoles is one of Nintendo's better selling franchises; Wargroove, a turn based strategy game, earned back its profits in less than a day; Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle sold 2 million units.

The answer is, there's nothing to indicate they don't sell.

I think it's a fair point to make that Civilization is a completely different sort of strategy game compared to Fire Emblem or Wargroove and those games being successful on Switch isn't so much an indicator of Civilization's success.

Since 4X games are typically more PC centric, I think a better case example would be to compare other PC centric titles that have done very well on the console platforms.

I mean we have examples of stuff like Cities Skylines, Tropico, and X-Com 2. As well as PC Centric RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin.

Also it's not like there isn't a place for Civilization games on console. While I don't like to use Civ Revolution as an example, it does exist.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
While I believe Civilization VI, even with all of its expansions, is ultimately not as good as Civilization V, which, with Brave New World, is the best strategy game ever made IMO, it's still a remarkably great strategy game that I like playing a lot. I love that it's available open iOS and Android and Switch in addition to PC (with Switch being my most played version), but I have to wonder why this game is not available on PS4 and Xbox One yet.
Is Civ 6 on Android? I thought it was iOS only for the moment?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Civ 6 on Android? I thought it was iOS only for the moment?
Just looked it up, you're right. I actually assumed it would be on Android too lol

I think it's a fair point to make that Civilization is a completely different sort of strategy game compared to Fire Emblem or Wargroove and those games being successful on Switch isn't so much an indicator of Civilization's success.

Since 4X games are typically more PC centric, I think a better case example would be to compare other PC centric titles that have done very well on the console platforms.
But Civ 6 as a 4X game did well on Switch; I assume it could do well on PS4 and Xbox One as well, especially given a lower upfront cost of porting (a lot of the initial work, such as controls scheme R&D, is done already).

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Because Switch is next gen.

Or likely they might have a different plan for release and marketing. I dunno, E3 is round the corner.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Might just be a thoughtful decision on demographics. Will something like Civ do well on home consoles? Maybe they don't want to take the risk, or don't have the resources allocated to the PS4 and XBO at the moment.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would kill to have this on the XB1. Perfect game to play with friends.

At the very least, I'll take a Civ Rev sequel.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still only playing Civ III and have my MAC using sketchy software to play the Windows version on Steam.

I tried Civ IV, but didn't get anything. I'm scared to try Civ VI, but would love to pick it up on Switch on a big sale.

Edit: sorry I just realized this isn't on topic at all. Hope it gets ported so more can enjoy it. I do think it won't sell as well as it did on the Switch though. I guess people more likely to double dip for portability.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Different audience, the Switch has far less games, so there is less competition & allows titles like Civ to find a home, while on PS4/XO, it will probably just get drowned out.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
I just really want the controller UI/controls ported to the PC versions. They work really well on the Switch, I want to play it with controller on pc ;_;

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I would love it on XB1. This gen I've put countless hours into Civ Rev. Also proper mouse support is brand new on Xbox and content is required for it to gain traction.

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I was stoked when it was announced and came to Nintendo Switch. I asked for it for Christmas (my family insists of lists so they know what people want), and my mom mistakenly bought my the PC version XD fortunately, I was able to return it and get the Switch version instead.

I've always been really confused why it was only made available on Switch though as far as consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.