• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (3 days): creating a thread just to troll, history of similar behavior
Other fighting game series like Smash, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur keep on getting more popular, yet it feels like nobody cares about Street Fighter anymore. It's puzzling to me.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Because capcom basically did everything in their power to launch a game ONLY focused on pro players.

And the people who brings a game to popularity are the non pro players

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
What I hear from all my FGC friends is that SFV's design and balance issues were enough to make them stop playing when other fighters came out, and enjoy those fighters more.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia carried the Street Fighter revival. Then we all realized we still suck at fighters and didn't buy five.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They had a terrible launch with SFV, on top of it suddenly missing a platform it was already established in. Plus the focus on e-sports in a time where the genre is becoming more and more accessible for new players.

Edit: Oh, it's you OP. The new avatar threw me off.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
street fighter hasnt had a big release in a while is one part of it...another part is the botched release state of SF5 which it never fully recovered from...and post launch content and exclusive focus on esports is only so much of a popularity booster.

I dont think missing Xbox had that much of an impact personally, but that did play into some aspect of it.

Rather Netherrealm has the best in the industry regarding production values of a fighting game, which keeps eyes on them, they have the DC license and the gore factor and the story mode that had been lauded for fighting games.

SF doesnt really have that..

Soul calibur barely came back from a fate much worse than where SF is now, so its strange to put it on a pedestal...but the customization element also helps that game. Killer instinct i dont really play and Smash is a huge roster of nintendo mascots and industry characters of a franchise that didnt actually ever go away.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Not puzzling at all considering how Capcom has been treating their fighting games. Capcom is really going big recently with DMCV, RE2 and MHW, so it's sad to see them not care at all about their unique fighter IPs.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Latest entry had a rough start and its exclusive to one console when the ones before were not.(yes ps4 is the biggest platform this gen, but ps4+xb1+switch would still be bigger)

The FGC still cares about Streetfighter, but they dont really reflect reality, since they also care about meele, a game that is very much dead to the general public.

The latest SF feels like a game made for the FGC, which is fine and nice for them, but the FGC is just not the mainstream.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Because Street Fighter 5 was one of the most bare bones games in the franchise in a very long time and it's clear it was aimed at pro players and not your average everyday player. It's a huge shame because Street Fighter 4 did so much to reinvigorate the franchise again.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
SF V is only on one console so that's one reason but the original game was also released very bare bones and got a bad reputation.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't? The last game released had bad reception at launch and didn't sell because of it.

They didn't have a Xbox version, focused WAY too much on the pro gamer aspect, the whole "no arcade mode" thing was huge and hurt the game a lot.

It's still a bigger IP than Killer Instinct or Soul Calibur. lol If the next game is good from the go, people will be there.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
the only ones making SFV relevant are the players getting paid at tournaments, SFV is an awful Street Fighter game, and even more awful at launch.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh, of course it had to be you, the hyperbolic poster regarding mostly everything Street Fighter, so I'm not surprised.
Street Fighter's popularity peaked at SFII, yes, it was reinvigorated by SF4, but it hasn't reached the mainstream status SFII will always have. As for why? Well, SFIII didn't do any wonders and SFV didn't, either, so they'd have to kill it with SF6 in order for it to grow to the mainstream again. Will it, though? Who knows.
Also, I can't help but laugh at mentioning Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur, maybe if you mentioned Tekken, but I think even Tekken has failed to reach the level of popularity it had back during the Tekken 3 days.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
No sympathy for franchises that suffer because they go with the "release half a game at launch and then morphine drip the rest of the content over X years" strategy.

Hopefully with SFVI they'll actually release a finished product at launch and then I'll be happy to buy it. Not holding my breath though.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posting in a battleborn thread.

"it's puzzling to me"

lmao, you absolute dickhead.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me like they never really recovered from the decision to wait so long to do 4. It knocked the wind out of their sails, coupled with the fall of the arcade. On ground that shaky, it only took one big mistake (5's launch) for them to fall.

Also, the time during which they were absent was a time of big growth for gaming. That was a whole lot of people making their formative gaming memories with Street Fighter completely MIA.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone correctly dunking on SFV, let's all not forget that fighters are a more niche genre now except for NRS games, Smash, licensed games, and more experimental stuff like For Honor. We aren't in the heyday of the arcade anymore where Fighters rule the earth.

I'm not saying those are more popular than SF. But they are more popular than they used to be. SF has been declining hard.
Soul Calibur is absolutely not more popular than it used to be. Soul Calibur 1 was winning GOTY awards and was a graphical powerhouse for consoles at the time.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be controversial.

SF5 motif was to make everything balanced and "fair" as possible. It tried to water down the execution ceiling for casuals and assumed that if casuals could imitate the pros it would be the best. That's what the community wanted. Less disparity between pros and casuals, where pros would be distinguished by things like fundamentals and tootsies and smart plays.

And that's wrong. I've come to realize you NEED some bullshit in games. You need flashy unnecessary shit. Everyone complained about sf4 stuff like 1 frame links, without realizing that someone that made a showcase of it during tourneys showed the distinction of what separates the pros from the casuals. It gave those in the middle something to work towards.

Balance is good. But balance can also be the enemy of exceptional.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Because I bought Street Fighter 5 sight unseen and because of that I've never bought a game blind ever again.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
In what sense? Sales or like competitive scene/mindshare?

Killer Instinct is irrelevant in the competitive scene and Soul Caliber came n went.

NRS games have more casual appeal, but their communities don't take long to fall behind what Street Fighters community is online, or Tekken or even some anime fighters. And competitive wise we are talking about a game that is by far and away one of the most commercially successful fighting games among the traditional fighting games (because smash smokes it otherwise), and yet it's getting dusted by tekken, smash, n street fighter in evo entrants.

Smash is A bit more debatable because I think brawl is still the best selling game in the series? Otherwise competitive scene is more so because after brawl they made more efforts to actually make a proper game for the competitive crowd (albeit with some mixed results). So naturally it's getting more of a proper competitive community to stick with it.

As for SF stalling, it's because V released like an early access game missing a ton of stuff giving it a shit game stigma, and beyond that the game did a number of things that are at odds with what makes Street Fighter fun. Woshige took out his hatred for Ky n sol busting out of milia mixups on the Street Fighter day players.

Oct 27, 2017
My local group that plays fighting games and other stuff weekly used to play Street Fighter V every week. Fighterz came out and obliterated it immediately. Fighterz has beeen played every week since, also Smash Ultimate is weekly now too. Mortal Kombat 11 is getting some play too.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Because they failed to add single player features to bring casual, too much focus on pros, poor graphical upgrades

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Making it exclusive to one console was mind-numbingly stupid.
Not only do you skip the xbox with a decent player base, but they signed themselves out of a possible Switch port.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record bb27 here has made many many many many many many many posts about how much Capcom sucks and why he thinks SFV sucks, this thread is just him harvesting dunks to get off to or use in some future forum argument.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom was terrible at fighting games this gen.

I just hope they don't learn the wrong lessons from SF5. SF5 did some things right.

The console exclusivity didn't hurt that much- PC is the other console for fighting games now instead, Xbox is a distant 3rd with the Switch.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
For a fighting game, having a huge launch is important. Most fighters cannot recover if it were bad at launch. I wouldn't call SFV recovered either since it could have turned out way better than it did and many of the pros retired or went to something else.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Smash is A bit more debatable because I think brawl is still the best selling game in the series? Otherwise competitive scene is more so because after brawl they made more efforts to actually make a proper game for the competitive crowd (albeit with some mixed results). So naturally it's getting more of a proper competitive community to stick with it.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

8Alalqk.png

GOen1CY.png

Only thing left is Smash 4 3DS + Smash 4 WiiU in sales ... which should happen any minute now =P

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Another fucking Battleborn27 thread

I'm the only person on this forum who should be talking about Battleborn you talk about that shit more than I do goddamn

OP
OP
battleborn27

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
In what sense? Sales or like competitive scene/mindshare?

Killer Instinct is irrelevant in the competitive scene and Soul Caliber came n went.

NRS games have more casual appeal, but their communities don't take long to fall behind what Street Fighters community is online, or Tekken or even some anime fighters. And competitive wise we are talking about a game that is by far and away one of the most commercially successful fighting games among the traditional fighting games (because smash smokes it otherwise), and yet it's getting dusted by tekken, smash, n street fighter in evo entrants.

As for SF stalling, it's because V released like an early access game missing a ton of stuff giving it a shit game stigma, and beyond that the game did a number of things that are at odds with what makes Street Fighter fun. Woshige took out his hatred for Ky n sol busting out of milia mixups on the Street Fighter day players.
Nobody cares about the "pro scene". That won't fund sequels.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I like SFV, I can definitely agree with the sentiment that it doesn't deserve to be the standard-bearer for the genre. So, that's why.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The current iteration has had a number of missteps and almost every level of appeal from casual to hardcore and time has not progressed far enough for Capcom to be able to deliver a follow-up to try and rectify it. So the realities of SFV are all we're stuck with right now, and most people have fair grievances.

Casuals had a game design that was completely devoid of any appeal and skimmed compared to previous entries, launching with really just a Survival Mode and character trials, giving the impression that it was intended for serious competitive players only at the outset with the most replayable mdoe being the versus modes. I mean, the last part of that statement sounds a bit absurd when discussing a fighting game, but it was still hard to fathom a marquee fighting game from the genre's most iconic series lacking even an Arcade Mode to breeze through at launch. The late delivery of Story Mode and Arcade mode were good at expanding it, but that initial impression stuck (and the timing of delivery of Arcade/Story was a bit late to be honest), so casuals felt like they were not included in the grand plan from the word go, and the eventual addition of some of the single-player content was outclassed on arrival by other competitors in the market.

Pro players seem to have a lot of issues with the game's design, often citing that it just isn't consistent enough in maintaining a solid, reliable meta to employ any dynamic tactics -- I often see that people feel like the game's roster largely plays the same regardless of which player is at the helm, where they felt like a certain level of dynamic thinking and tools were available to them in past games that really kept competitive matches on their toes. I admit, I do not play at this level, I just kinda get this impression every time I see a big criticism of SFV.

SFV is not a complete and comprehensive failure, though. The cash support of the competitive scene is some of the highest I think the genre's ever seen, and there's a genuinely passionate core playerbase that keeps the competitive circuit alive, but I do think it's clear that it ultimately does lack the same spark and audience retention that its predecessors managed to foster, even if games like Street Fighter III initially launched to a big downturn in interest.

I have no doubt that SFVI has been in development for a while now and trying to learn from how SFV went, but Capcom is gonna need time to make it the game it needs to be and it hasn't had quite the amount of time required to pull that off just yet. Until then, we're stuck with SFV and all its problems, but it still manages to have staying power... Just not nearly as much as its predecessors.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
It seems to me like they never really recovered from the decision to wait so long to do 4. It knocked the wind out of their sails, coupled with the fall of the arcade. On ground that shaky, it only took one big mistake (5's launch) for them to fall.
The wait was not the reason SF5 didnt meet many ppl's expectations.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
OP talking about street fighter again lol.

It's doing great on competitive side of things if you haven't noticed. And it's been getting more updates, stages, characters for over three years. While netherrealm games stop supporting their games after a year.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
For the record bb27 here has made many many many many many many many posts about how much Capcom sucks and why he thinks SFV sucks, this thread is just him harvesting dunks to get off to or use in some future forum argument.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that Mr. "SF is declining hard, no one cares about the pro scene" isn't acutely aware of what issues have contributed to SFV's state.

Feels like I'm in an r/kappa thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.