• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone forgetting all these shitty practices towards workers, customers, whoever in all of the industry?
Because the majority in the end doesn't give a damn, as long as they can play their games

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Blizzard isn't a person and it's more than 4000 people with different values and ideals who have put hundreds or thousands of man hours into making these games something we can enjoy, many of whom probably don't feel the same way the corporate heads do. I don't think it's right to reign on their hard work and time to shine by making it sound like every single one of them are part of a hivemind who are forced to share the same values as the people they work for.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Outrage culture and witch hunts on the internet has proven one thing. People's memories are short, and their morals fall by the wayside for convenience. It was true of Chick-Fil-A, it was true of Riot, it was true of Blizzard, and will continue to be true.

As long as it's convenient, people will stay mad and tweet and post about it all day, beyond that it's just moral grandstanding and virtue signaling at the right time before going back to business as usual. That's just how people are.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I boycotted every company that bent over for China I'd be living naked on the side of the road. The fact that you only just learned about this because of Blizzard doesn't mean it hasn't been happening for years and doesn't suddenly make it more pressing than every other issue in the world.

Everyone is culpable under capitalism for participating in global atrocities. The best you can do is whatever little victories you can make to help destabilize the system. Whether that comes in the form of organizing a boycott, voting for politicians, spreading activism and awareness of domestic and international issues, supporting unionization and worker ownership of their businesses, or whatever method you think is best, you're good in my book.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not everyone. But yeah a lot of people care about Hong Kong but not enough to justify missing out on a video game they want to play. I don't even blame them. No ethical consumption under capitalism and such.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The people forgiving never really cared in the first place. People who cared that China is able to get a American company to bend the knee saw straight through Blizzcon shenanigans.

Diablo 4 had a visually awesome clip at the end of it's trailer (the stuff leading to it was boring to me), and it's gameplay look slightly less basic as D3. Overwatch 2 looks like Overwatch with a bit more structure in it's PVE attempts. Not impressed.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo isn't coming out for about 2-3 years anyway, so I doubt people will continue a boycott for that long as it wont be fresh on their minds.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Should all Blizzard employees quit their jobs too?

This forum is a joke sometimes.
The employees have livelihoods on the line AND have already shown their support for the HK controversy in multiple ways. No one is saying to fire a bunch of employees or something, but just how easily people are won over. Everyone saw this coming, Blizz con would happen and everyone would be right back on the Blizz train.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
All these Blizzard threads and impressions are littered with "free Hong Kong" and "it's a shame that..." etc. I mean most of the threads on this forum have staff posts thread marked about it. People can be positive about a product while still disliking the ethics of the company/people behind it.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because typing "Fuck Blizzard, Free Hong Kong" in every Blizzard-related thread is as an empty a gesture as Blizzard's own apology.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Why do we still mass buy products like Iphones who are made by people that are worked so hard they think their only way out is suicide. So much so that they built nets on the outside of all the facilities to try and stop people from jumping, because so many people were doing it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Hong Kong isn't an issue people are facing directly in their lives. They don't really care that much.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
As I'm constantly reminded, every company does bad things all the time, so I've completely stopped caring except for the truly comic-book-villain egregious (like a company which is directly responsible for the imprisonment of toddlers or something) , and this is not that. Otherwise I'd have to either be incredibly, unrealistically indisposed, or give credence to stuff merely on the idea of me having heard about it, not because something didn't happen, and low profile cases are still things even if they're low profile.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna wait and see what they do and how and if they make amends. Im not unfamiliar to making certain stands regarding my entertainment but at least they have shown some vulnerability to the issue unlike, lets say, Rockstar and their crunch culture.

If your company shows a dedication and passion over a long period of time to not give a shit about people, I'll stop rewarding your behavior. Blizzard had their big fuckup and its still early days. By the time these games release I'll have a better view of their culture.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Just because they are outraged for a cause, doesn't mean that we all should be.

My fight is with the social injustice in America because it directly affects me, my friends as well as other here. Once we get that squared away, I can move on to try to help cleanup other places.

Americans love to point fingers at other countries when it's really messed up here for certain groups of people.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is a subculture that is explicitly hyper focused on consumerism. You're never going to get gamers to not buy games, which inherently means gamers will inevitably make amoral and even immoral decisions in pursuit of the hobby.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I'm certainly not forgiving Blizzard execs for their stance on China and how much they botched up in their responses since then.

Doesn't mean I'm not hyped for OW2. Though thankfully the content that isn't the PvE will be free for existing OW1 owners. And if ever I want to check out the PvE stuff, it will definitely be when I buy a retail copy (that is if it does happen) second hand. That way they won't get a cent from me.

Just hope the Blizzard execs do more than just do that hollow apology.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
They apologized. They said they would do better. Thats enough for me for now. We will see what happens.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
By now I have accepted people try to pretend be all enraged and all that shit and then when the company announces something new, they forgive them and get hyped. See Atlus, one of the most bigoted companies when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues; people will yell, be outraged and condemn them, yet those very same people will gladly buy the new Persona game from them.

OP
OP
TraderPoe

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I appreciate all the ERA folks who are saying it's not everyone. I know that it isn't, but it's a bit devastating seeing the new Blizzard game threads top the gaming forum. Fuck you got mine is a real problem.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because realistically anything they do really wouldn't have an impact, at least not on the level people want. Also just because someone might be playing Blizz games doesn't mean they aren't doing other things that you yourself aren't. I'm not going to judge on anyone not boycotting something, because they could be a better person than me in many other ways. Maybe Blizz games are one of the few things that bring them joy in this miserable world, we all have something like that.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't buy it if it came on what is left of the year. But I can't say I would remember in 2022 or whenever it ends up releasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.