• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a gross incel. And the main character owns a slave.
Some will justify "But she's a Willing slave!".

Which is gross.

Other than that... Maybe the revenge angle coupled with having a shield instead of weapon thus needing others to succeed? (Rapidly undermined when the shield, of course, becomes as powerful a weapon as any other when the protag gets "angry").

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's all about personal tolerance of different aspects of it. They may think "Oh this isn't something I like, but I like all the stuff around it" We do it for all the media we consume in a way. Not excusing it, but I can't be mad at someone who is a fan of something with problematic elements because I think that's kinda hypocritical (to me)

Oct 27, 2017
It is a good anime, from the production quality, to most characters, to plot, to combat.

The sense of progression in this isekai is among the best. It does not beat around the bush.

I don't even understand how the fuck people here are so fixated on the slave part. He couldn't find anyone for his party, he didn't have any attack skills prior, so he had to buy one... How is this such an offputting concept I don't get it.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loathed it, but "Owning Slaves" really isn't the disqualifier you think it is

I mean, we all love HBO's Rome, and all characters routinely engage with their slaves, often mistreat them, and the main character's initial plot point is literally attempting to get rich by selling a family of slaves gotten through war plunder

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is your thread. From yesterday. With the last reply 20 minutes ago.

www.resetera.com

Why do people like Rising of the shield hero but hate Sword Art Online?

I don’t see lots of “subversions” in Shield hero. After the first episode it’s a pretty standard Isekai with a Overpowered Protagonist that’s sometimes messes up, and isn’t flawless (in shield hero) at least in Sword Art Online Kirito’s harem isn’t made up of his slaves.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
rising of the shield hero living rent free in OPs head

that first episode took a very interesting turn, and the premise of that was enough to get people hooked, but after that it went firmly into territory that i didn't like

but the first episode and the discourse around it meant that people who would like the show were more likely to find out about it, so its more popular

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Duplicate thread, please continue discussion here:
www.resetera.com

Why do people like Rising of the shield hero but hate Sword Art Online?

I don’t see lots of “subversions” in Shield hero. After the first episode it’s a pretty standard Isekai with a Overpowered Protagonist that’s sometimes messes up, and isn’t flawless (in shield hero) at least in Sword Art Online Kirito’s harem isn’t made up of his slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.