• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
AS I UNDERSTAND, it would behoove you to avoid mentioning any methods or means of pirating, or PERSONAL ADMISSIONS of being a media pirating participant.

Thread:
Please don't tell me something like "I own it on DVD so I already paid and deserve to have a Blu-ray rip on my phone for flights!" or the even worse "if I like it I'll buy a copy later someday"

is it just some lack of accountability or care?

seems like a lot of Americans pirate stuff like Game of Thrones or even Ghibli movies they could rent or buy legally. I don't get it. There's a DRM free major game store and some assholes put up most of their games online for pirating.

I don't do it and have no problem supporting the media I want to consume and I'm not particularly well off financially anyway so don't accuse me of having more money

We won't go into stuff being not made available to you legally at all in your location.

Why do people pirate stuff they can legally access?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why anyone would pirate Game of Thrones if they have access to HBO streaming, but for something like Ghibli I can see people doing it for translations they prefer.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that some people see it as a case of "if I can get it for free with virtually no risk, why wouldn't I?".

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because they don't want to pay? I don't understand why this needs to be asked. And why single out Americans?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Honeypot thread?

The answer is obvious they don't have the money to afford everything they want to watch or play on top of the financial responsibilities they have.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
or PERSONAL ADMISSIONS of being a media pirating participant.
So how on earth, hypothetically, could we engage in the discussion point of this thread?

Edit:

On an unrelated note, how much a month do you think this would be?

- Netflix
- Crunchyroll
- Spotify
- F1 TV
- DIsney +
- Hulu
- Gamepass
- Etc

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Some people just don't care about the folks who make their entertainment. If there's a cheaper way to get something, that's what they're getting.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what it is. Let's say, I want to stream a GameCube game that I own. I could get out my Wii, plug it all in, get my video converters, load up my messy homebrew solution for recording PAL games into the Elgato at 60hz, and then have the game's timing be thrown off slightly after all that.

Or I could just load it in an emulator at like, triple resolution, 60fps, no faff. Sorted. I do like to record from original hardware when possible, but sometimes emulation is just an outright better solution (for example I can play NiGHTS Journey Of Dreams for my next set of streams with a PS4 controller, so I don't have to deal with the octagonal gate on the GC Pad ruining my flying).

It's lazy, and not a good justification really, but it is what it is.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Mostly, it is because i don't have a lot of money to spare on games i'm not sure i won't give up on a few minutes. I like to feel that my money is worth.

Also, a lot of times is mainly because i don't think the price for the game is addequate. As TGB said on why DMC4 sales were "bad" and didin' encourage to buy the Special Edition, "it's not because i failed them as a consumer, it's because they failed as a service provider". Bad ports, doubts about early access, bad promotion that screams that a game isn't worth...

For example, i COULD pay Netflix, but to watch at best one or two shows a month i'm interes, constatly seeing how they remove conten't i'm interested without watching, having a limited selection and very few novelties... I think it doesn't deserve my money, at least for the price they ask.

But coming back, i don't have a lot of money for games.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Is there something you can't download before? I go on some flights that have NO WiFi option at all so I download a few things ahead. Not pirate stuff I don't own...
Perhaps I misread things, but I mean for services that I do pay for. I currently pay for Hulu, VRV, Netflix. They do offer download functionality, but it's and maybe because of old habit, for me to manage alternative downloads.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I asked my friend who pirates 24/7

"why the fuck would I pay for something that takes 2m to crack when most publishers are shit anyways"

Decent response ig

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i guess OP missed all the threads about the economy going straight in the shitter over the last few decades

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used to pirate games and movies when I was younger. My reasoning was simple. We had no money. I grew up really really poor. We couldn't afford to go see movies, to buy games, etc. I'm thankful to be able to now, as it's preferable and the right thing to do, but that is a reason that while I don't condone piracy, I won't instantly hate someone who does it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I read that beforehand... I only see not promoting it being a rule but may have missed further guidelines elsewhere. I would appreciate someone else pointing out what I missed if I didn't see something.

From the FAQ:

Copyrighted Material and Piracy

Encouraging piracy, admitting to piracy, threatening to commit piracy, and linking to piracy websites is strictly prohibited. This policy also applies to links to torrents, direct downloads, pirated reproduction cartridges, streams of pirated content, and unauthorized releases of any kind. More information on this policy and DMCA takedowns is available in our terms of service. Do not embed copyrighted material such as magazine scans. Copying and pasting entire articles or reports for redistribution is also prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.