• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I know what you're thinking

But anyway, to the point of my thread.

In most, if not all cases, when a game has character creation why is the white model the default for marketing? Just curious.

If you need examples of what I'm talking 'bout

Pokemon-Sword-Shield-Protagonists-Color.jpg

3db66cc9922210a28f507ad27353e34a.png

fc74b950ba99e23e7e3e7415efba2318.png

250px-Calem_and_Serena_concept_art.png

pokemon-sword-and-shield-check-iv.jpg

*In Pokemon these always become the official variations as well. Which is just sigh worthy lmao.

maxresdefault.jpg

Male-and-Female-Ryder-siblings-Mass-Effect-Andromeda.jpg

latest

*In Mass Effect's defense, Shepard is kind of treated as a pre-established character.

I'm sure there's other examples out there (don't get me started on these mmo's lmao). It's just something that's been on my mind lately, more games seem to be circumventing this by just having the player character all suited up (The Outer Worlds, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc.)

It kind of feels like a testament to the games character suite when this happens. Take Pokemon for example;

60T31oY.png

When they have characters like this

3KzW06q.png

I guess you could say none of these games advertise their character creator suites as being toppy topperton's but this does all contribute to the white = default narrative if only slightly. I've ended up avoiding a lot of games because I ain't know I could create a character. I had no idea Sunset Overdrive had character creation till I played it for the first time last week at my mates house lol.

But yeah, what are y'all thoughts on this?

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon characters are Asian by default. Other than the Unova protags I guess?

But yeah, it's dumb that whiteness is still seen as default most of the time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Cal in Jedi Fallen Order was the most "generic white guy" protag I've seen in a while. Probably didn't help he had all the charm and personality of a baked potato.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yes, it's very, very tiring to see another white dude (i don't care how well written he is) and i'm a white very average joe guy.

but even in movies, a hundred old industry we still don't see parity of race/gender. games are a loooooong way off.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm black, but I realize that the biggest populations targeted for video games (Europe and US) are mostly white, so I don't think it's too surprising.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Aren't Pokémon characters technically east asians? Anime style?

Other than that, yeah, white is the default marketable look.
Pokemon characters are Asian by default. Other than the Unova protags I guess?

But yeah, it's dumb that whiteness is still seen as default most of the time.

The three(four) games we've had character customization in so far have been based outside of asian countries though I believe

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
People relate to stuff that looks like them, so that's the marketing. White America and Europe are big markets and anime characters look white to us but Japanese to the Japanese.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Cal in Jedi Fallen Order was the most "generic white guy" protag I've seen in a while. Probably didn't help he had all the charm and personality of a baked potato.

I still don't get this. Weird looking ginger dudes are now "generic white guy"?

Default Shep is Default White Guy, not this dude.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
you think only blonde haired blue eyed people are white?
The games either have three or four default races, and the one used for marketing is usually light skin with black hair. That's the one that closest resembles characters from the Pokemon version of Japan.

Though that's not really a solution to the overall issue which is industry-wise, but in this specific case the default appears to be Asian.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
People relate to stuff that looks like them, so that's the marketing. White America and Europe are big markets and anime characters look white to us but Japanese to the Japanese.
This any anime character is Japanese unless stated otherwise.

I don't know y'all, in anime when a character is coded asian it's heavily implied. A lot of anime go for stateless-ness in regards to their characters but I get what you mean.

In the case of these Pokemon characters though, assuming that's what y'all talking bout since it's the only anime-ish examples I gave. They're all white except the Sun & Moon characters because they're actually from Kanto.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I don't know y'all, in anime when a character is coded asian it's heavily implied.

In the case of these Pokemon characters though, assuming that's what y'all talking bout since it's the only anime-ish examples I gave. They're all white except the Sun & Moon characters because they're actually from Kanto.

3ca.png

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I thought Pokémon allows you to choose skin and hair color, so technically, there aren't any default "white" models.

I think that the more recent Pokémon commericals are made with various skin tones and hair colors, so I personally believed we can rule those Pokémon commercials out.

Oct 25, 2017
Because of the many institutional and habitual biases that have build up over time, of course. Whiteness as the 'good' of the powerful / imperialist has been spread across the globe and literally stomped into every ethnicity and / or country on the planet.

Also, it's easier to sell without getting into trouble. Lightning wise it's also to draw, correctly light (see also Mass Effect: lighting on black faces tends to suck, and they look worse than their white counterparts as a result), and even animate, in the sense that the body language of 'whiteness' and 'blackness' tend to segregated by people themselves wanting to verify themselves as 'not the other one'. Most white people will be blissfully unaware of that though, until they start noticing it.

However, in a more historical trend of games specifically, the move from black / mixed characters to mostly white seems to have been driven by jRPGs and other 'asian' characters being clearly whitened-up, and then the western producers basically doubling down on it.
Originally, games tend to be very welcoming to genderbending, racial exposure, etc. The move towards 'just white' makes no sense within that history. But then history never makes sense anyway.
At this point, there's no point in not having a full, proper representation. In the indy space things seem to be getting back to that point though, even if it's more on gender than race.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I find in most popular media, and games are converging too, they are more "generically ethnic". Dark haired slight tanned somewhere in between Asian and Hispanic. And that makes sense because that speaks to the largest group of people. I'm obviously not going to complain about a lack of representation, being super culturally privileged, and I do think it's important that black characters get waaay more representation, but as a pasty person with blonde hair I definitely started noticing my representation is on average not really the norm anymore as it was before.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I find in most popular media, and games are converging too, they are more "generically ethnic". Dark haired slight tanned somewhere in between Asian and Hispanic. And that makes sense because that speaks to the largest group of people. I'm obviously not going to complain about a lack of representation, being super culturally privileged, and I do think it's important that black characters get waaay more representation, but as a pasty person with blonde hair I definitely started noticing my representation is on average not really the norm anymore as it was before.

Yeah there was a noticeable shift towards this at some point

video-game-protagonists-brown-haired-white-guys.jpg

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't say for sure. best guess, Developers of those game are white.
or they know most of their games sells better in a country where people are mostly white.

What else could it be ?

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Can't say for sure. best guess, Developers of those game are white.
or they know most of their games sells better in a country where people are mostly white.

What else could it be ?

See that's where I was at, but there's certainly been a representation shift in the past couple of years and we're seeing more women protags. So it's like how reliable is the "target demographic" line of thinking when we're seeing more devs move away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.