• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
As title says. They bought a lot of great studios. But they don't have any Japanese studios. Is that the next target?

MS have been lacking in Japan. Whilst todays announcement is big, I don't think it will have a big impact on Japan which is a market they would like to expand in. What Japanese studio realistically could they buy to change that?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Uhh... they just bought Tango?

Anyways eh, not expecting them to acquire another Japanese studio anytime soon. Something like Bethesda is huge because now MS have got massive influence when it comes to WRPGs which Sony don't really have but if they'd want to make in-roads in Japan, they need to look towards JRPGs to make a dent. Square would be huge but I doubt it would happen.

Even then, Xbox 360 had a few exclusive JRPGs like Vesperia but it ultimately meant nothing as people were moving away from home consoles. It would be a wasted effort imo.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They literally just got a Japanese studio in today deal.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They have Tango! But yes, they need one. I think that will be more organic than their western front. They're building partnerships with SEGA and FROMsoft.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They kind of just did with Tango. Although the day it's a more prominent Japanese developer or publisher is the day Era dies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Tango_Gameworks_logo.png
They already have.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
they have the goat Mikami. Can't get better than that

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Tango acquisition aside, it is interesting X series is a lot smaller and cuter designed. I wonder if Japan will finally embrace it over the PS5, or if the X-enophobia will continue.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While they did get Tango today I wouldn't be shocked if SE, Capcom, and SEGA are in their sights now.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This purchase honestly opened so many possibilities. We were all thinking small fry when it came to acquisitions. I never thought a $7.5 billion publisher / developer was on the table. All of a sudden Sega doesn't sound so ridiculous.

I've floated the name before though, but Level 5 would be interesting

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'll be honest with all the square Enix stuff on game pass over the last 6 months I thought they would be bought.

I think a Japanese studio would be a good buy.

How about platinum? 🙃😂

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. I think the only realistic chance for Xbox to have any presence in Japan is to put their games or game pass on Nintendo or Sony platforms there.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I was literally writing a huge OP about their next acquisition after this when you posted. I see three potential next big moves:

1) Buy WB games. This is the most obvious one, as AT&T has already said they are thinking of selling the division off, and MS is already one of the potential bidders. This would give them several devs such as Netherrealm, Rocksteady, and TT games. The biggest issue is that AT&T doesn't want to sell any of the IP (notably Mortal Kombat), meaning all of those studios would be without their primary franchises.

2) Buy AT&T outright. This deal would be the biggest MS has ever done my a mile, but it actually makes sense. The IP issue, and indeed entire games division, would be footnotes in this deal. AT&T has a market cap of $200 billion and is $100-150 billion in debt, meaning the total cost would be in the range of $350 billion. It would redefine MS as a company. It would give them AT&T's wireless network with most of the 5G install work done. It would give them HBO Max, putting MS right in there with Amazon and Apple in the streaming wars. And it would give them a ton of IP to work with, including all WB, Cartoon Network, and DC Comics. Humorously, it would also give them CNN, competing directly with MSNBC even though the "MS" in that name stands for Microsoft. Downsides are obviously the gigantic cost and also potential vertical monopoly risk. MS would own Azure, own the 5G network it travels on, and own the video and video games streamed on it, and could bundle it all in a way that unfairly dominates competition.

3) Buy Konami's IP form them. Not a purchase outright since Konami is doing well, just outside the video game space, but as an inroad to Japan, it seems in MS's wheelhouse. Buy Castlevania and make it the in house Souls franchise / give Moon Studios a crack at it. Give Arkane Metal Gear. This one is purely hypothetical, but it buys MS growth potential in their area of greatest weakness: the east.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
sega seems possible, i mean if you have sonic how much better can it get?

May 19, 2020
Tango acquisition aside, it is interesting X series is a lot smaller and cuter designed. I wonder if Japan will finally embrace it over the PS5, or if the X-enophobia will continue.
There's no reason to believe Xbox will gain any foothold in Japan. They have no brand recognition there whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.