• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
PZdcnvq.png

I've been seeing images like this pop up over the last couple days , but the original Xbox one consoles don't play 4k discs. So will they just be shit out of luck for new releases?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Will games even be on 4k blu ray? The way MS has talked about smart delivery and just installing what you need based on your console I'd guess all games will just be the regular version and you'll have to download the series X enhancements.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, all games come out on standard blu-ray now, right? I'm pretty sure there aren't games you can play on an S or an X that you cannot play on a Day1 Xbox One.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
These games will just come on a standard bluray and the rest gets downloaded.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
They're not going to say it plays on Xbox One if it doesn't play on Xbox One.

Oct 27, 2017
No they won't. The Xbox one will play all the same games as the one X. Dont expect to see series X and one x only games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
No.

I am more concerned about those next-gen-versions. Because these games are made for standard PS4 and Xbox One. The "enhancements" won't make them feel like next-gen games. And it seems like we will get an awful lot of cross-gen games instead of true next-gen games for a while.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
God... I can see the Wii U confusion levels from here. Poor grandparents, they're not gonna stand a chance.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Likely, it'll still be a normal blu-ray with the enhancements being a patch.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Edit: To make it clear: The original Xbox One will be able to read all of these discs.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't understand why they would be shipping cross gen games on a disk that can't be played by the xbox one.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
God... I can see the Wii U confusion levels from here. Poor grandparents, they're not gonna stand a chance.

The Wii U thing was a self-inflicted wound on Nintendo's part, but I'm not seeing anything similar here. The game literally says it works on Xbox One. As far as we know the game does, indeed, work on all Xbox Ones. Where's the actual confusion?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The entire point of Smart Delivery is that you don't have to buy specific SKUs for your console of interest. Devs are going to put baseline Xbox One information on the physical disc, and have you download everything else.

No.

I am more concerned about those next-gen-versions. Because these games are made for standard PS4 and Xbox One. The "enhancements" won't make them feel like next-gen games. And it seems like we will get an awful lot of cross-gen games instead of true next-gen games for a while.

Increased resolution, framerate, HDR, better textures, LOD, and effects, along with lower load times, will be the minimum enhancements for games that have genuine next gen versions.

Next gen exclusives (of which several have already been announced for both consoles) will obviously be able to take further advantage of the SSDs and exclusive graphical features.

I don't understand why they would be shipping cross gen games on a disk that can't be played by the xbox one.

That's not what's happening?

OP
OP
Stoopkid

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
maybe I'm confused. So I guess Microsoft will still be using Blu-ray Disc for next gen release?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The Wii U thing was a self-inflicted wound on Nintendo's part, but I'm not seeing anything similar here. The game literally says it works on Xbox One. As far as we know the game does, indeed, work on all Xbox Ones. Where's the actual confusion?

Buying a Series X exclusive for a One. Other way around isn't an issue thanks to BC.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
These games will just come on a standard bluray and the rest gets downloaded.

If someone bought a Series X and these games, but they don't connect it to online (for whatever reason/bad internet)... they will only be playing in Xbox One quality on their Series X Machines? (I'm sure the system upscales it to 4K however)

I think I understand why some publishers might not be for this approach, even if it is pro consumer.

Also does this give us an understanding of which cross-gen games lead on last gen consoles?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Because devs can create bigger games, and fit these bigger games onto a disc with a higher storage capacity?
Games should be capped to 50 gigs anyways. With both consoles having less than a terabyte of usable hard drive space I really don't want to see massive 200gb giants. I thought a lot of the benefit of these faster hard drives was that it allowed them to reduce the amount of redundant assets anyways, so games should end up getting smaller this gen if devs actually try.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
But then I would assume the box art would not say it works on Xbox One? Like that black stripe at the top would just say "Xbox Series X" and would not also say "Xbox One."

People even on here are even saying One instead of Series by mistake and we're hyper engaged with this shit. You have more faith in people than me, that's for sure.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I can see they making next gen only disc versions with higher capacity discs plus the next gen version content preloaded, but for sure they won't have the xbox one label in that case lol

Status
Not open for further replies.