• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS4 port - yay or nay?

• Yes - Sony/Marvel will want every dollar they can get this holiday season

Votes: 79 23.9%
  • No - Sony needs a killer app for PS5, they won't give up that advantage

Votes: 226 68.3%
  • Later - PS4 port will come out in 2021

Votes: 26 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SM:MM is probably my most anticipated game at the moment, but I'm not sure if I'll pick up a PS5 this fall, so it being exclusive to that platform would be kind of a bummer.

It's in Marvel's best interest that the game sell to a broad audience though, and it'd also help the Spider-Verse/Sony Pictures films. At the same time it's maybe in Sony Computer Entertainment's best interest to keep the game on PS5-only, at least for a certain amount of time.

Jason Schreir seems to think it will come to PS4, but doesn't appear to have any inside knowledge.

Where do you think it will wind up?

Oct 27, 2017
No, Jim Ryan was very specific about "we want you to feel the generational leap, only possible with games exclusive to PS5".

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's entire presentation was a belief in generations and wanting to show games that justified that. Whether or not people think Miles' game looks like a PS4 game, releasing it on a last gen console seems contradictory to the messaging of the event.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd benefit Sony more to keep it PS5 exclusive to sell consoles.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be hella weird for the only first party game announced to launch with the console to also be available on the console that everyone owns.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in sort of the opposite boat: I'd be potentially willing to pick up a PS5 this fall if Miles was an exclusive, but if it isn't then I have no reason to buy one until Horizon 2, and who knows when that is.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember when Resogun was a PS4 exclusive and the power of the PS4 made all of that geometry possible.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Considering their message, I seriously doubt thay and I think it is probably doing things in terms of traversal that is not possible on PS4.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 only i guess and this game alone on launch is enough for me to push me over the edge and buy a PS5 day 1

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It really depends. If they started working on it on PS4 (which I doubt due to the PS5 SSD tests) then maybe, but if it started dev on the PS5 devkit, then no.

Personally, I think it's stuck on PS5 as the launch period looks like it needs all the games it can get.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Doesn't matter if a game looks like a PS4 game, these early gen games can still look absolutely stunning but won't compare as much to 2022/2023 games.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really think much of the first game, but I know it was very popular, and given how thin their system sellers lineup is looking, I think it'd be a bad move to do a PS4 port.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I will be absolutely shocked if one of their if not biggest games this holiday season isn't going to be on a system that 100+ million people have.

People who want a PS5 are going to buy a PS5. Who is going to spend upwards of $500 for a non-full fledged Spider-Man game that is probably going to be 10 hours long? to lock it behind a system that is probably going to be in short supply and will have probably a 10% of that PS4 userbase in that month. It's a absurdly bad business decision. This isn't some small PSN game and i am 100% sure it's not their decision, it's Marvels.

Oct 25, 2017
I am still incredibly confused by the messaging of this game.

Is it a standalone expansion?

Is it being bolted onto a re release of the PS4 game?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yean, no...

Sony's already said they're making PS5 exclusive titles and this one would be a big one. Also it'd be weird if it came to PS4 considering they used Spiderman to show off how the SSD stuff would "change the game" or something like that.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Sony said ps5 only so mute point really, no cross gen. They were super clear about that.

May 15, 2019
They need people to buy their new console, and Sony is in a good enough position right now to be able to do that and forego any sales they might've seen from a PS4 port.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It didn't/doesn't sound like it but I hope so, I don't intend to get a ps5 till later.

I wouldn't be shocked if it launched on ps5 but some lesser version of it originally intended for PS4 gets released later like maybe summer next year with caveats that if people want the better version it's available on PS5.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Sony is done supporting the PS4 internally after GoT. Even if a scaled back Miles Morales could run on PS4 they aren't going to release it there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I am still incredibly confused by the messaging of this game.

Is it a standalone expansion?

Is it being bolted onto a re release of the PS4 game?

I believe Insomniac themselves have come out and said it's a) stand-alone and b) not part of a remaster/release of the original so I'm not sure what's confusing with regards to what you are asking specifically.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Most likely coming to ps4, it's a marvel game and they don't particularly care about selling PS5's. I would think they would push to release on ps4

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
No, I don't think it'll be on PS4. Not that PS4 can't handle it, but Spider-man sells so well that they'll want it to move PS5s

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Of course they will release it for PS4. It is leaving money on the table. All they need to do is show how much better the ps5 version is.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they will release it for PS4. It is leaving money on the table. All they need to do is show how much better the ps5 version is.

Sony wants people to buy a console for it. This is a huge difference between MS and Sony's approach. They don't see it as leaving money on the table, they see it as a reason for people to spend money on new hardware.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm in the No camp as well. This is their killer app to sell PS5s. Keep in mind that this is not a game that they needed to build from scratch as the foundation of the game already exists. So they could afford to forgo the lost sales on PS4 in order to push their new next-gen console.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Insomniac themselves have come out and said it's a) stand-alone and b) not part of a remaster/release of the original so I'm not sure what's confusing with regards to what you are asking specifically.

This article

www.videogameschronicle.com

Spider-Man Miles Morales is an ‘expansion and enhancement to the original’, Sony clarifies | VGC

Update: Insomniac Games says Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a “standalone game”…

Telegraph said it was a remaster and an expansion. I just saw it had been updated to say it's standalone

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it was coming to PS4, they probably would've said so by now. And considering that this is gonna be the PS5's big launch title, I doubt it'll be cross-gen.

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
Well on the Marvel Website they mentionned as "coming exclusively to PlayStation 5"
No mention for the Ps4 Sorry

www.marvel.com

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (2020, PS5 Video Game) | Trailer, Characters, Release Date & Latest News | Marvel

The latest adventure in the Spider-Man universe will build on and expand ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man’ through an all-new story. Players will experience the rise of Miles Morales as he masters new powers to become his own Spider-Man. Available on Playstation 5, Holiday 2020.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
If it was a big full sized title I'd say no way it's not coming to PS4. With it being a smaller standalone dlc type title, I could see them keeping it on PS5. What else have they got at PS5 launch to get people to adopt early if it's on PS4 too?

Status
Not open for further replies.