• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• Collectively, first and third party utilization of SSD will live up to the hype

Votes: 121 53.8%
  • Collectively, first and third party utilization will not be worth the current hype

Votes: 79 35.1%
  • Only first party games will live up to the hype

Votes: 25 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So there is lots of hype surrounding PS5's ultra fast SSD, it is approximately double the speed of the XSX's which is already very fast in general.

The sentiment around here seems that it will be extremely useful for first party devs and mildly so for third parties depending on how they use it. Stuff like distance LOD, loading times and pop-in should be drastically improved but Sony and co seem to be banking big on its creative capabilities in cooperation with their first party studios.

What do you expect out of this component for the PS5 as a whole? Wasted or fufilled potential in the end?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

It will pick up a lot of the potential slack when it comes to multiplatform games where Xbox has more processing power/speed on the CPU/GPU side, even though the differences there would not end up being that big anyway. Load/reload times will be instantaneous or near-instantaneous, huge deal. The developer murmur around SSD is just the start of what we're going to be hearing about it. First-party games will pull ahead of the pack far more easily because of it, especially quickly with its being the baseline and no platform with an HDD to accomodate for.

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Guess a big part to it is how well the software development kit and such are implemented by Sony, and how easy it is for the third-parties to take advantage of the PS5's unique quirks.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it definitely will.

And I think people are going to be surprised by Series X here too. Its SSD solution is being underrated with the Velocity Architecture being completely ignored. Once Microsoft talks about it that seems like it won't be the case.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much anyone who gives a definitive answer here is full of shit. It might, it might not but it sure seems early to know for sure.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
i doubt we will see anything that cant also be done on the xbox series x, random read/write speeds are more important, and other than intel optane, even the fastest nvme ssds on the market arent much better than a sata ssd when it comes to random read/write speeds

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ms5z4ydOvS1rgo5wjo1_400.gif

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
SSDs, in general, are going to be a big leap. What Sony's SSD advantage might mean compared to both the PC and Xbox Series X hasn't even been described well, let alone shown. I don't doubt that developers focused on PS4 development will absolutely find that advantage useful, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will result in huge, tangible, and specific examples where average game players will be able to say, "Wow, that's why Sony didn't settle for a standard SSD setup."

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think so, at least or especially with regards to First Party exclusives.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, because its not just an increase in speed, its a whole i/o change along with the fastest ssd ever, im sure it will be worth the hype even tho i didnt notice much difference when i upgraded from a sata ssd to a nvme ssd on my pc, i trust sony and especially mark cerny

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's looking likely.

The question is more so how much.

The obvious one is load times. Which for me is a big thing. I'm. Not sure how "visible" a lot of the other stuff will be.

Remains to be seen.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I mean..developers are talking about what can change with this so.

I don't think any developers are going to openly say it doesn't matter though.

I just think its incredibly premature to say how much of an impact it will have when all we've seen is a spec sheet and no practical applications of it at all. But also think its silly to just dismiss it out of hand as well.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
First party, maybe.
Third party... I'm skeptical.

Maybe a lot of optimization needs to happen, but the games I'm playing now see little to no difference even going from a hard drive to a sata SSD. So basically I'll believe it when I see it.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I think it definitely will.

And I think people are going to be surprised by Series X here too. Its SSD solution is being underrated with the Velocity Architecture being completely ignored. Once Microsoft talks about it that seems like it won't be the case.

I want to agree.

But I think that the hype is so overinflated at the moment. The new gameplay paradigms that some are soley attributing to the PS5 will also be present in the Series X.

Shit needs to settle down a little bit. Certain genres of games will benefit. But fighting games, racing games, etc will not be massively impacted apart from load time.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Why isn't there a poll option for "1st party yes, 3rd party no"? I'd say that'd be the most likely scenario. Which isn't to say 3rd party won't ever make use of it but having such a strong SSD in PS makes it an outlier for 3rd party IMO.

Edit: cause the current poll options are super narrow, it's not an all-or-nothing question. Add options for "1st yes, 3rd no" and "neither" (but honestly anyone selecting neither would be trolling).

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
It's looking likely.

The question is more so how much.

The obvious one is load times. Which for me is a big thing. I'm. Not sure how "visible" a lot of the other stuff will be.

Remains to be seen.

Imagine having big open world with floating islands with big castles, and you can immediately fly to those islands at super fast speeds. No loading screens, no artifical blockers.

This is just 1 example.. a lot of other examples, stuff that arent possible this gen will suddenly become the norm.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I believe 3rd party games will live up to the hype on insta-loading, he did say that the process would be invisible to the dev. However, I can only see 1st party games being changed deeply by the SSD, they won't have to build anything for slower HW.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
1st party sure, 3rd party nope because developers aren't gonna create any noticeable differences between the PS5 version and the XSX & PC versions, they'll use it for faster loading times and that's it.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What can develop do with 5,5gb/s on the PS5 that they can't do with 2,5gb/s on the Xbox?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, both platform's storage solutions will live up to the hype and enable new tech and new/improved game design concepts to emerge. Don't expect to see a tangible difference between XSX and PS5 games in terms of what they can do with their respective drive solutions in multiplatform games, though. What matters is that they're both orders of magnitudes more capable than their predecessors in the same regard. Only Sony first parties will be seeking to take advantage of Playstation 5's heightened throughput as they'll be searching for creative uses for it from the outset, to achieve results that won't exactly be outside of the realm of possibility on Xbox Series X. I don't think either platform has such a distinct advantage over the other that a game couldn't release in a nearly identical state on the other platform.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st party sure, 3rd party nope because developers aren't gonna create any noticeable differences between the PS5 version and the XSX & PC versions, they'll use it for faster loading times and that's it.

Third parties will absolutely take advantage of the SSDs. We are coming from development paradigms where I/O speed was capped at 30MB/s to storage devices on both XSX and PS5 that are capable of 100x those speeds!

Sure, the extra boost PS5 has in SSD may not make a huge difference in third party titles, but the fact that both consoles feature a several generational jump in IO technology opens up new possibilities for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.