• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

I had a chat with Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan, who confirmed the resolutions mentioned in CD Projekt's tweet.
"It's one of the most daring Switch conversions to date, and so there's clearly a need for a lot of smart adjustments," Morgan said. "Resolution-wise it's actually running much higher than I'd expected - and I can confirm CDPR's claim here. It does use a dynamic system to adjust for rendering load on-screen, and testing the footage and screens available, it shows a native 1280x720 at maximum, while other shots count in at around 896x504 lowest. The range may change in the final game - and we'll be back with more testing. But from a quick look here, most shots are coming in at 720p.

"Given this is almost certainly docked play, it's no comparison to the native 1080p on PlayStation 4. Still, an impressive feat in itself given the complexity of the game, and Switch's lower power spec. The only snag is that anti-aliasing quality is evidently low, which makes the stair-stepping stick out. Playing handheld certainly will be a better way to evaluate the Switch version's strengths, especially if it does sit permanently at 960x540 - where such a res will be harder to catch on the smaller screen.

"As for settings, this is where changes are more obvious. Switch's 1GHZ clocked CPU has to deal with the game's asset streaming, physics, and AI - and so it could be a challenge holding a stable 30fps on what's essentially mobile technology. Based on the footage so far, foliage and characters draw distances do take a hit on Switch as a result, and so the environment is less populated at range compared to PS4.

"Overall world detail is much closer to PC's lowest setting. Likewise, texture quality on hanging corpses is significantly pruned back, adapting for the lesser 4GB of RAM available to Switch. Finally, shadow resolution and the taxing SSAO setting are on the receiving end of a cut, giving Switch a lighter appearance. These are the two more demanding settings on PC, and so it makes sense to see a drop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.