• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Continued History of Low Effort Threads
Every studio they've bought is western focused which means western developed games and marketing, leaving little room for anything else to breathe in between.

With all the money they have, everyone will see just those games being marketed (in the west) and the heavy hitters.

The jrpgs that have been coming out or will come out may be overlooked or even disappear completely due to the avalanche that's undoubtedly coming.

Is this the death knell of the jrpg genre?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The JRPG genre is pretty much already dead aside from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and the occasional Atlus game.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? The same number of western RPGs would still come out even if Microsoft hadn't bought these studios.

It's not as if Microsoft is telling all their studios to "make an RPG!". Those developers are continuing to make what they always have (perhaps with the exception of Playground).

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes, when MS buys Japan, they will make sure to kill all JRPGs. Sorry OP ur logic makes no sense. If anything ppl will complain MS has no JRPGs and persue them in other platform.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
wat

JRPGs are already not very heavily marketed. This isn't going to change anything there.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I think last gen showed if you make a good game then people will come. Monster Hunter world and NieR Automata would have been niche games in a past life but they managed to achieve success because they were good.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing the connection but one of their competitors happens to be one of the bigger publishers of JRPGs and they're currently killing it so I think JRPGs are safe regardless of what happens with third parties.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some people need their thread taking privileges taken away

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
everyone on this damn site is obsessed with JRPGS, no it won't cause the death of the genre, they can co-exist lmfao

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft picked up all the japanese pubs then it would honestly kill audiences for those games in japan, since xbox really isn't a factor there.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Can we just shut down the forum or ban all next gen think pieces for a month this is out of hand.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
is this supposed to be a subtle console war thread since playstation is where jrpgs go on consoles?

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Japanese developers will still make JRPGs for PS5/Switch. This makes no sense at all.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
JRPGs never move on Xbox and Sony/Nintendo still have uber popular platforms last time I checked. Of course not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
so much wrong thing about that comment......JRPG, dead ? We can agree it's not the most glorious of JRPG era, but dead ?

I wish it wasn't that way, but there are fewer and fewer games in the genre and most of them are just crappy mashy action games. Like honestly LAST gen was better for JRPGs than this gen, and last gen wasn't even very good.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
So you're worried that Western RPG makers (a different genre) will destroy JRPGs when they're more popular than ever before?

Status
Not open for further replies.