• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Fucked up. I wish there was some sort of sweep you could do with your phone or something like that to check for hidden cameras...

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
No clue why Airbnb wouldn't take this seriously. Now (predictably) it's going to be all over the news due to their inaction.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Fucked up. I wish there was some sort of sweep you could do with your phone or something like that to check for hidden cameras...
There is to an extent. You can shine a light in to suspicious objects and a lense will give off a glare. Also if you turn the lights off you can usually see an LED indicator on a hidden camera.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fucking sickos. Name and shame the person who did this so they can't do it again.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I remember ages ago (before AirBnB and the like) a motel got exposed for having cameras everywhere, but all they ended up having to do was remove them because they had signage saying the property was protected by hidden cameras. Except the camera on the signage was a security camera not a hidden one, so most people wouldn't think they meant cameras in their bathrooms for instance. Creepy.

Also:

Think they'll get an answer?

A sprinkler in a house is already a red flag to me. Is that normal?

Some homes are retrofitted businesses. It's not THAT uncommon. But still worth inspecting I guess.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. What indicates camera instead of an actual sprinkler?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
What's the legality here?

If I own a home and fill it with cameras, what are the rights of a random couchsurfer or a cousin who needs to crash for a week? Do those same rules apply to using my home as an AirBnB?

Just curious if there are any actual laws here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Those sprinklers, at least, are not cameras. Sprinklers have a glass tube in the center that can look like a camera lens. In the hidden sprinkler camera she linked, the camera is a hole on one of the sides, not the sprinkler assembly itself.

Last edited:

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
No amount of savings or convenience could convince me to ever try an AirBnB. I guess most people have no issues but it seems like such a crapshoot with a shitty tech company who will do nothing to help if you have issues.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Dave Franco direct a movie based on this ?

220px-The_Rental_poster.jpg

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Ugh. I don't even want to know how much footage they have on this.

I can imagine children could also be on this. Disgusting.

The sprinklers might be actual sprinklers.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
A lenses that reflects rather than a sprinkler nozzle maybe?
Thats not how modern sprinklers work. There are a lot of people in the replies saying these are real sprinkles because its not a lens but a glass bulb that breaks to set it off. Infact the fake sprinklers everyone is linking in the comments have the camera on the housing not on the sprinkler itself. So I think this person just fucked up lmao.

So yeah I think there is nothing fishy going on here just people misunderstanding what sprinklers look like.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Thats not how modern sprinklers work. There are a lot of people in the replies saying these are real sprinkles because its not a lens but a glass bulb that breaks to set it off. Infact the fake sprinklers everyone is linking in the comments have the camera on the housing not on the sprinkler itself. So I think this person just fucked up lmao.

So yeah I think there is nothing fishy going on here just people misunderstanding what sprinklers look like.

There's a pic of what looks like a camera in a paper cup with a hole in it in the OP tweet. This isn't just about sprinklers it seems.

Should have def tried to pull them off or taken more photos to post though. Since this is something that regularly happens and sometimes ends up on the news people need to be as diligent as possible when they think it's happening to them. Not trying to victim blame though.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
There's a pic of what looks like a camera in a paper cup with a hole in it in the OP tweet. This isn't just about sprinklers it seems.

Should have def tried to pull them off or taken more photos to post though. Since this is something that regularly happens and sometimes ends up on the news people need to be as diligent as possible when they think it's happening to them. Not trying to victim blame though.
The paper cup with a hole is just a covered up sprinkler these are real sprinklers that sprinkler looks to have been leaking hence its wet have a closer look.

It actually further disproves they are cameras.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I can't view the Twitter thread but please tell me their evidence is more solid than mis-identified sprinkler heads lol

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Pretty sure that's a sprinkler head in the cup.

I don't see anything spoke-like around the edges. It's solid. Also doesn't have the skirt or base or whatever you wanna call it.

I think we don't have the full picture of what they witnessed is all I'm saying, but the pic of the ACTUAL sprinkler- that's def just a sprinkler as far as I can tell. I can't find the article or video but I remember watching something where a security expert showed examples of hidden cameras, and the sprinkler one (as said by someone above) has a second little "dot" on the base where the actual camera is, so I just don't believe that sprinkler is a camera.

As for "they're positioned in areas perfect for watching us" or whatever, that's just kinda where sprinklers go. Unless there's like 4 sprinkler heads all in the bedroom, or more than 2 in the bathroom- that would be a red flag to me.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything spoke-like around the edges. It's solid. Also doesn't have the skirt or base or whatever you wanna call it.

I think we don't have the full picture of what they witnessed is all I'm saying, but the pic of the ACTUAL sprinkler- that's def just a sprinkler as far as I can tell. I can't find the article or video but I remember watching something where a security expert showed examples of hidden cameras, and the sprinkler one (as said by someone above) has a second little "dot" on the base where the actual camera is, so I just don't believe that sprinkler is a camera.

As for "they're positioned in areas perfect for watching us" or whatever, that's just kinda where sprinklers go. Unless there's like 4 sprinkler heads all in the bedroom, or more than 2 in the bathroom- that would be a red flag to me.
kX0qwXJ.png

There are the edges its a sprinkler a wet one at that.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Hidden cameras in an Air BnB is something you should for sure be diligent about checking for, to the extent you can. The existence of sprinklers is not evidence your being spied on though.

Jan 7, 2021
I get trying to protect your property but this response has me saying no to Airbnb in the future. I dont need you seeing my tiny pee pee.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I'm frankly surprised when someone doesn't have any security cameras in and around the house anymore, with how popular that has become. Does AirBnB has a rule that you can't have cameras?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
kX0qwXJ.png

There are the edges its a sprinkler a wet one at that.

Yeah those look like the spoke things alright. Now that I can see it better it looks like it was covered, they sprayed/painted, and then never removed the paper to put the base thingy on.

She better hope she can get pics or evidence of other cameras though after publicly dragging AirBnB. (not that they are deserving of defense ever) It's a good thing she didn't get the names of the owner to post online too. Though to be fair, it should be way easier to find out who you're doing business with on there.

I'm frankly surprised when someone doesn't have any security cameras in and around the house anymore, with how popular that has become. Does AirBnB has a rule that you can't have cameras?

I forgot to mention that too- considering how many horror stories you see online about AirBnB's getting trashed, or people try to squat, etc. you'd think having cameras to document issues like that would be commonplace, but then again it raises a shit ton of ethical questions because while I don't care of a Comfort INN in the middle of nowhere TX has camera footage of me walking out of the bathroom naked, I have a big problem with some pervert setting up cameras in his own home to intentionally collect footage for his own means or to sell. If I was someone renting out a room or a house to people though, I'd still want cameras in the common areas to protect myself from damages or violations of my rules.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Why do people think these tech companies have task forces set up to help us? That would cut into their profit margins. They dont give a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.