• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The pacman has to eat pellets, the struggling companies are the most tasty. If MS wants to dominate all of gaming and make even your mama subscribe to gamepass for Candy Crush Infinite. Would having a large retail presence be worth it, now that they are the biggest gaming publishers ?

Imagine all the gamestops around the world renamed to Microsoft Gaming( a few years ago I would say Xbox Store) surely that would increase awareness. Making every store a like Jehovah witness for gamepass.

For example a synergy could be gamepass discounts on retail if your subscribed. And selling games not on gamepass and games you own on multiplatforms.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Considering MS closed all of their retail stores and probably want nothing to do with retail, no.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Physical game retail will be dead by the next generation. Would be a waste of time and money.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
Retail is dead

Also Phill's going to get "I JUST bought you that Activision thing are you bored of it already" vibes from Satya

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this fascination with corporations taking over the world
I am hoping this thread is satire, but for the actual question: I figure it's either thoughtless console fanboying or they recognize that capitalism is going to kill us all so if they cheer for it they feel above the sheeple.

Like they're still gonna die too, but they'll die based.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Microsoft is aiming for a hardware-free future with a digital platform that can be put on any device.

Why would they ever buy a chain of stores that lives on physical media and merch? GameStop is a brand nobody likes either way.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
On topic: no. Why would they want this? What year is it? The industry is heading towards all digital future, I doubt it's a great time to invest into retail stores of all things.

Off topic: I probably should avoid the gaming forum for like a ~month, lol. All people talk about is "Microsoft should buy X" or "Sony should do Y".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make sense for them strategically. They are focused on the cloud, subscriptions, and services. Not B&M stuff.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I wish they'd buy KFC and bring those festive fries back. And the Visionaries IP for the toys. I heard Phil loved them as a kid.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they gain less than nothing from this. They gain a bunch of storefronts they have to pay rent on. Plus they are interested in IPs which is why they are paying so much and buying publishers rather than developers. They don't want the person who makes Call of Duty or sells it, they want Call of Duty. Also these acquisitions are all about Game Pass. Phil Spencer even said that they'll release their games on any platform Game Pass is on, that's their rule. Game Pass is everything, not just an interesting side show, and GameStop offers nothing for Game Pass.

When it comes to what Xbox (or I guess Microsoft Gaming) will do just ask yourself what's good for growing Game Pass.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
No. (Microsoft already tried th have "Apple Store"-like stores and failed)
On the other hand, no. (Retail, especially in gaming is dying.)
Also, no. (COVID and stuff.)
However, I have to go with no. (Please don't have corporations own every single thing)

OP
OP
GundamStyle

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
You guys don't understand that Microsoft will want the gaming division to turn a profit like azure and their other ventures do. Owning retail is necessary so that when you sell call of duty in stores you get 100% return. Brick and Mortar is only dead to gen z's.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
You guys don't understand that Microsoft will want the gaming division to turn a profit like azure and their other ventures do. Owning retail is necessary so that when you sell call of duty you get 100% return. Brick and Mortar is only dead to gen z's.

Considering they focus on cloud gaming and Gamepass I feel like MS doesnt view it that way.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you'd buy something that is dying rapidly.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
You guys don't understand that Microsoft will want the gaming division to turn a profit like azure and their other ventures do. Owning retail is necessary so that when you sell call of duty in stores you get 100% return. Brick and Mortar is only dead to gen z's.
You guy don't understand that digital is growing and growing and that getting an additional share of some small percentage of sales is not worth it.

Brick and mortar may be alive for boomers and some following generations, but they're not the main buyers of games like Call of Duty.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
1. Purchase struggling business.
2. Eliminate most of the struggling business's revenue sources
3. ???
4. Profit!

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Gen Z is the target audience (or will become one very soon).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like are we hoping the cyberpunk dystopia shows up faster and then we'll all become Hiro Protagonist or something?

The quality of thread topics has nosedived since Tuesday lol
Talking business is already boring when it's with someone paid a lot of money to tell you why his soulless capitalist existence is good for you, but I wasn't prepared for company buyout enthusiasts.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Mergers and Acquisitions sure can inspire some wild threads at this place, huh? As many others have pointed out Microsoft tried the Brick and Mortar thing before and it didn't work out well for them. GameStop is also closing many stores nationwide, so I don't see how either company could benefit from something like this.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you wouldn't happen to be one of those people who bought GME at $200 a share and is now trying to find a desperate escape route, would you?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys Microsoft doesn't have to buy every single thing you can think of. Stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.