• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
With Lindsay Ellis' most recent video expressing the opinion that Borat works a little too well with the current political climate, it's got me thinking about The Colbert Report.

Which lead me down a path of watching clips of the repor', and lead to this clip of Tucker Carlson basically turning into his character

So my question is, are we beyond parody at this point?

Oct 27, 2017
It would still work, but it was born and made for the Bush era, which is why it succeeded so well, then.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, I think it would still work yes. He brought that character back for Trump before he won in 2016 and it was still great. But I don't know if it'd land exactly the same way, though, considering where we're at.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I lived and breathed The Colbert Report but no. No matter what Colbert would do to emulate and add some extra crazy, Fox News would go a step further and be serious about it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we just have this thread like yesterday?

But honestly, I don't know. I'm not sure Stephen would be able to keep up the bit all through Trump's era without breaking down. Maybe for like a year or two, but not the whole four.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe? He's a very Bush era character. A modern one would be a conspiracy theorist, but what could he say that would be more absurd than what these types actually believe?

Oct 25, 2017
No, it doesn't work.

"Truthiness" became a mantra for the modern Republican party. It's not a joke anymore - it's reality.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to satirically out-crazy the right at this point.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I don't think it's possible to satirically out-crazy the right at this point.
You can't make a political joke out of his show without going full-on crazy nonsense at this point. The new Animaniacs show actually does this - they have a Tucker Carlson segment which doesn't make fun of Fox News's political stances, only antes up the nonsense factor to be completely silly. It works by neutralizing any possible message these shows could have.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this recently, and I think it wouldn't work any more, simply because it's Too Real now. The kind of reporting that Colbert was lampooning is mainstream amongst the right wing.

OP
OP
Shiloh

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
You can't make a political joke out of his show without going full-on crazy nonsense at this point. The new Animaniacs show actually does this - they have a Tucker Carlson segment which doesn't make fun of Fox News's political stances, only antes up the nonsense factor to be completely silly. It works by neutralizing any possible message these shows could have.
Exactly, the Animaniacs reboot tiptoes around it, but is still has people saying "too political".

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I think about truthiness at least once a week and how it's gone from comedy to reality.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
In a way it didn't work when it came out. A lot of people didn't realize it was satirical.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Some conservatives actually believed the Colbert Report was real at the time. I have no doubt that if you did a Trump version of it instead of the O'Reilly parody droves of people would take it as sincere.

OP
OP
Shiloh

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Some conservatives actually believed the Colbert Report was real at the time. I have no doubt that if you did a Trump version of it instead of the O'Reilly parody droves of people would take it as sincere.
Not the highest bar since those same people think 'King of the Hill' is a show about conservative values.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
i'm not sure if there were that many who believed it was real, it was pretty public knowledge that the repor' was a character, but many of them did see it as speaking truth to power for sure.

satire paradox and all that

Colbert the character was about highlighting what conservatives were turning into. Now they are that.

Today it'd need to be more meta, about conservatism as a grift. Maybe be about the production of a Hannity or Carlson.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Status
Not open for further replies.