• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
We all remember the reveal of the Xbox One. It was a total fiasco. With the XSX and the leadership behind the gaming division things are completely different and for the better. They have the mindset of being consumer friendly, providing value and listening to their audience.

This begs the question with how things seem to be shaping up heading into next generation and how they listen to their audience. There is always a transitional period where both the consumers and the companies need to adapt to change together, but it seems like the reactions of the next gen ideology of having everything blended works on paper and sounds great as a customer, but seems to have sacrifices in the areas we all want to see improvements ( next gen experiences ).

I have confidence with Microsoft and the team behind xbox simply because it seems like they listen. Do you think they are surprised by the reception of yesterday showcase? Do you think any drastic changes will happen someone quick? Such as dropping the blended gen idea ?

Its hard to tell because it seems their main goal is to get as many subscribers as possible over as many devices as possible. This would be hard with a wall between games and systems.

Personally, im in the team of going all in with next gen without compromise. I need to justify spending half a grand on a new rectangle box.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Didn't someone at Xbox already say that future first party games will be developed for the Series X first or something?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The X1 fiasco is not even comparable to the XSX reveal and marketing until now.
There's nothing to be worried about tbh, different strategy and goals too.

Yesterday's show was underwhelming, but so was the PS5's one once you start looking at release dates tbh.
It's not a "wow what are they doing moment", it's an "ok, I'll wait next year" moment.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The Series X marketing recently has been bad, but it's not absolutely catastrophic like Xbox One was. The original vision for Xbox One was an absolute disgusting affront. The vision for Series X is fine.

They just need to fine tune their messaging, marketing and make some good looking games on what looks like a good console.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They need to change something, because the reactions to pretty much everything they're doing is being met with anger or apathy. Gotta be honest, their approach of melding the previous generation with the new one turned me off completely. You don't have to mix the two, just have backwards compatibility so gamers don't lose their old games.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what you expect them to do when you say go all in on next gen without compromise, not releasing Halo Infinite on Xbox One won't suddenly make it look better on Series X. They announced a bunch of games yesterday that are Series X/PC only anyway it's not like they're going to make sure everything runs on Xbox One.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The poor reception had to do with the little gameplay they showed for their AAA exclusives. The XB1 reveal was a conceptual disaster surrounding the platform. The solution to this showing is to get their dev pipeline further along, which just takes more time (many of their teams are 2018 or later acquisitions, so they are not ready for 2021 release dates it seems). I don't see how they should course correct. I think they should just continue this course and let their dev pipeline mature.

Edit: Also, this showcase actually did drop the blended gen idea as basically all games shown by XGS were next-gen exclusive.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, there's nothing disastrous they have to completely course correct like then. They just have to execute on the direction they've taken.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
The Xbox series X reveal and the beginning of the marketing campaign was amazing , they totally steal the show and I was really impressed about how they deal with everything but it's start to fall apart with their first showing of games and It started to get worse and worse until yesterday which was a fucking nightmare, they need to be really careful about what they're doing now...

it's totally crazy and I can't understand how they can show something like yesterday stream after all the feedback and critics from different shows here and there they should have analyser... they could have made a homerun but they totally failed in a big way... I hope they'll wake up as soon as possible or Sony will dominate as much as they did with the PS4 without any effort.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
They've already made the changes, it'll just take til 2022 for them to bare fruit.

What changes do you want?

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They need to change something, because the reactions to pretty much everything they're doing is being met with anger or apathy. Gotta be honest, their approach of melding the previous generation with the new one turned me off completely. You don't have to mix the two, just have backwards compatibility so gamers don't lose their old games.

Exactly.

Not once in the history of gaming has anyone ever had the thought process of wanting or expecting "next gen" games to work with old hardware. Its an oxymoron. We all look forward to getting a newer box every 7 years or longer. We look forward to improvements.

The only caveat to upgrading or getting a mew console has been backwards compatibility for some. This is the only thing they have to do.

The problem now is gamepass. Their model, funding and revenue wont work with a splintered subscription group. It all needs to be cohesive between devices. This is the challenge going forward.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing around Series X is leagues better than what the Xbox One was. They aren't even comparable. I dont think they need to make any sudden changes or anything because they're doing fine so far. It's still early.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can choose what upgrade path to take, combined with Gamepass, that immediately puts them in a completely different, pro consumer position then 2013. No comparison really.

Some people in this forum are dying to see MS fail lol.

Xbox earnings thread must've been a huge blow to them given its size, and it's complete debunking of GP $1 subs being largely responsible for its sustained numbers.

Last edited:

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This is a decidedly different situation. Their hardware and services all seem fine this time around. The cross-gen stuff is going to die on its own. Devs just aren't going to be able to support those older platforms for long or... Well you're going to see some games that looks rough around the edges.

The issue is whether they'll have exciting first party offerings, and you can't just pivot out of that challenge. This has dogged them for generations now, and they've acquired a lot of studios to ideally address it. Whether these investments will pay off with a stable group of powerhouse studios offering a diverse set of games is something that remains to be seen. And judging by the showcase yesterday, an answer we're not going to get for a couple of years.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They may tweak minor details, but they have more or less gotten this one right, whereas the XB1 was a total disaster they had to change course with

I think Sony and MS are both waiting for the other one to move first in terms of release date and price though, and these may move a little from what their internal plans are at present

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The Xbox series X reveal and the beginning of the marketing campaign was amazing , they totally steal the show and I was really impressed about how they deal with everything but it's start to fall apart with their first showing of games and It started to get worse and worse until yesterday which was a fucking nightmare, they need to be really careful about what they're doing now...

it's totally crazy and I can't understand how they can show something like yesterday stream after all the feedback and critics from different shows here and there they should have analyser... they could have made a homerun but they totally failed in a big way... I hope they'll wake up as soon as possible or Sony will dominate as much as they did with the PS4 without any effort.
this is why IMO its best to trickle info, like sony is doing. closer to launch is where all the talking should be happening. I think a lot of people got filled with a lot of hype. wheras PS5 we really had no idea what to expect.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people have forgotten just how horrific the X1 reveal was.

There have been messaging issues sure, but as long as the price is ok this has been a perfectly ok buildup to launch.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
They're already backtracking and trying to move away from this gen, so yes, they will try to change again, but I think Sony just have too much on them now - a clearly more balanced console with a better controller and more importantly, much better exclusives and more of them. The only thing MS can possibly say is that their multiplatform versions are better.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
X1 was much worse, people forget.

That said they need to cancel Lockhart if they haven't already (or at least delay it to next Fall). Trying to explain yet another SKUs purpose in next gen is probably not a great idea considering they can't even clearly communicate what games are only playable on Series X.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
What? MS is not doing anything wrong that is even close to what they were doing with Xbone like calm down.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is there even that needs a hard course correction? Yesterday we saw that they actually don't lean that hard into crossgen

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They're coming out all at once. Apparently MS announcing games that are years out and developed for the Series X are just as bad as the DRM plans they had for the Xbox One.

Era gonna Era.

People are comparing their messaging and the drastic 180 they made. Which is happening today, if you go to the verge and other publications. They literally are taking xbox one off of title pages for some of their already announced games.

Literally xbox one is disappearing from some game pages. ANd they are being weird with reporters like Patrick.K in how they take questions for Halo infinite launch.

They have been screaming super loud about most powerful console, no one gets left behind, crossgen support. Now ray tracing for halo comes in post support, games that were announced for xbox one and series x are just series x.

It's like they are 180 their messaging for cross gen titles, and now just saying they are series x only.

It's weird to say the least. I mean projects change, and covid isn't making anything easier, but why is it in a 24 hour period changing?

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020

yes!!
they started really strong and after that bad reception from that may show is incredible to think that Phil would give a go to the yesterday show!!!
not a single 20 second trailer in engine showing something from fable and hellblade2??
how this show got aproved after all the feedback gamers has been doing in the last 3 or 4 months is really strange!!!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Wait so Halo Infinite doesn't come out on Xbox One ? And Grounded ? And The Gunk ? And every single Xbox Game Studio game coming out in 2021 ?

I think you know what I meant, and are just being disingenuous.

Halo Infinite and Grounded weren't "games they announced" at this event. Forza Motorsport: next-gen only. Fable: next-gen only. Avowed: next-gen only. Everwild: previously announced for cross-gen, now next-gen only.

So, yes: judging by the games they announced, they're more or less backing off the blended generations thing.

If "every single" XGS game in 2021 truly is cross-gen, then I'd be very worried about the 2021 Xbox line-up. But I don't think that will end up being the case.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Both their shows have been poor and have damaged their momentum, but the fundamentals of what they are doing are relatively sound (if not as brilliant as they'd have you believe). Their issue remains managing their first party to deliver enticing exclusives, and arguably they do need to make changes in that area, but nothing on the scale of 2013.

2013 situation for Microsoft was losing on every front. 2020 isn't that.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Alright now yall are so over gassing the reception lol, yes Halo is being made fun of, but for the most part people seemed excited about alot of the stuff announced, shit is so weird lol. OFC you got your console warriors bombing an rampaging everything.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
What release dates? lol Let's wait until we get official confirmation before assuming the release windows of everything.
Well that's what I'm saying. Demon Souls and Horizon are given a vague 2021, hinted at being closer to fall than early 2021.
I'm just saying there's no point hoping for a February release or so atm, and even if that was the case, that the big ones aren't in the launch window for both platforms. Both shows are underwhelming in that regard (in terms of first party only, they're both getting RE8 at the same time for example).

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's what I'm saying. Demon Souls and Horizon are given a vague 2021, hinted at being closer to fall than early 2021.
I'm just saying there's no point hoping for a February release or so atm, and even if that was the case, that the big ones aren't in the launch window for both platforms. Both shows are underwhelming in that regard (in terms of first party only, they're both getting RE8 at the same time for example).

Demon's Souls was never given a release window. The only stuff we got any kind whiff of a release window for was stuff like Deathloop, Kena, Horizon and Miles Morales. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that nothing else in that show will be a launch or launch window title. The full line ups for both systems have yet to be officially confirmed.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
They cant make next-gen games appear out of thin air
Games take a long time to make and they clearly didn't start making them soon enough

They might buy more third party exclusives, but all they can really do now is give the games in development as much time as they need to be great

The problems with Xbox One were with the console itself and the Xbox Series X hardware seems fantastic

Oct 27, 2017
Right now Microsoft is going into the generation as the value-driven console with gamepass. Jury's out on how first party games will actually end up being so we really can only judge on what they actually offer right now. I'm actually pretty confident after what we saw yesterday that they are moving in the right direction though.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Who knows what goes on at MS, they have been in this business for 20 years and barely have anything to show for it.

Rare, playground games and the coalition have carried the entire brand for 7 years.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I don't think there are any systemic issues to correct. People just weren't excited about the CG teaser trailers and lack of next-gen gameplay.

No one would be pushing for some sort of reform if they had shown cool looking Avowed, Fable or Hellblade gameplay.

They're already backtracking and trying to move away from this gen, so yes, they will try to change again, but I think Sony just have too much on them now - a clearly more balanced console with a better controller and more importantly, much better exclusives and more of them. The only thing MS can possibly say is that their multiplatform versions are better.

Balanced?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS aren't as interested in selling hardware like people here keep telling us, they should allow Halo to cook as long as possible even if it misses Series X launch.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
What I cant understand is if Xbox is all about unity across generations, GaaS, and Subscriptions, why did they lead of their last two console announcements (XBX, and XSX) with how they are the most powerful console, etc etc.

They are basically, from a mindshare perspective, boxing themselves into the traditional console market competing with Sony.

Nintendo learned awhile ago to carve out their own corner of the market. With GamePass, and Services Xbox can do the same, yet their messaging and actions keep conflicting with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.