• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know straight away some of you will be like

"Sony dominated this gen" & "Even the switch is outselling it"

But this isn't about sales. This is about my view on the xbox one and how for me it's a masterclass.

Origins
We all know the xbox got off to a bit of a rocky launch. Cries over forced drm, always online and no used games (not entirely true but not what I'm going into) but for me none of those rang hollow. To me they sounded interesting (mainly cuz I rarely trade/buy used games and have been online constantly since 2010) as it was changing how the industry worked. This obviously died as we know it but it has come back in slightly other forms (gamepass being the key example).

The beginning of the turn

Both consoles started off with a bit of a rocky launch line up. I personally liked Ryse but the rest were a bit meh

Then 2014 started with Titanfall coming to Xbox One (a pretty great game), fast forward to September and we had the next Forza Horizon (a pretty good game) and then November a pure delight for everybody Halo MCC, a superb value for arguably the best FPS series around (best overall series for me too!).

The first half of 2015 then was a bit meh (except the witcher 3 but that's multiplat and this is about xbox dammit!) but had stuff like State of Decay being remastered and released for XBO which delighted a good few I'm sure

2015 and beyond

In 2015 the legendary Halo series continued. I loved Halo 5 and was easily the best exclusive game released in 2015 (yes yes i can hear you already, but what about Bloodborne Podge, well I say pfft to that).

MS finally looked to be hitting their groove. They'd dropped the price, Kinect was being slowly but surely pushed to one side, and they were releasing quality games.

E3 2015 brought the news that MS were bringing in backwards capability to the delight of millions!

2016 brought us Gears 4, a series that was wonderful on the 360 and is getting better on the X1, and more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree). Ori showed us that MS weren't all just massive AAA title but also could focus on indie like games. MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.

Not to mention the tease of something bigger & better at E3 2016!!!!

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

2017 started off with a bang, the Switch was out and it was swinging hard with Zelda but Xbox already had an ace up it's sleeve. the Xbox One X was formally announced in June of 2017 and boasted a power boost nobody realistically expected from MS

Xbox One X was a beast. It put MS back at the top of power and performance. It also proved to the masses that MS was no longer trying to diversify it's gaming platform to everything (TV TV TV we all remember you!) but it was aiming to be the standard bearer.

2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry

Conclusion

I went on a bit of a ramble i'll admit.

For me Xbox One is the generational masterclass.

Yes they fucked the start and it hurt the sales but they bounced back.

They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood). They've released a console that's currently unrivaled in power. They've set themselves up to continue to push forward in gaming. They dont look like stopping.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
giphy.gif

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The timing of this thread is quite something, the only thing going in MS favour is that they rebuilt some goodwill that's it.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I know straight away some of you will be like

"Sony dominated this gen" & "Even the switch is outselling it"

But this isn't about sales. This is about my view on the xbox one and how for me it's a masterclass.

Origins
We all know the xbox got off to a bit of a rocky launch. Cries over forced drm, always online and no used games (not entirely true but not what I'm going into) but for me none of those rang hollow. To me they sounded interesting (mainly cuz I rarely trade/buy used games and have been online constantly since 2010) as it was changing how the industry worked. This obviously died as we know it but it has come back in slightly other forms (gamepass being the key example).

The beginning of the turn

Both consoles started off with a bit of a rocky launch line up. I personally liked Ryse but the rest were a bit meh

Then 2014 started with Titanfall coming to Xbox One (a pretty great game), fast forward to September and we had the next Forza Horizon (a pretty good game) and then November a pure delight for everybody Halo MCC, a superb value for arguably the best FPS series around (best overall series for me too!).

The first half of 2015 then was a bit meh (except the witcher 3 but that's multiplat and this is about xbox dammit!) but had stuff like State of Decay being remastered and released for XBO which delighted a good few I'm sure

2015 and beyond

In 2015 the legendary Halo series continued. I loved Halo 5 and was easily the best exclusive game released in 2015 (yes yes i can hear you already, but what about Bloodborne Podge, well I say pfft to that).

MS finally looked to be hitting their groove. They'd dropped the price, Kinect was being slowly but surely pushed to one side, and they were releasing quality games.

E3 2015 brought the news that MS were bringing in backwards capability to the delight of millions!

2016 brought us Gears 4, a series that was wonderful on the 360 and is getting better on the X1, and more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree). Ori showed us that MS weren't all just massive AAA title but also could focus on indie like games. MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.

Not to mention the tease of something bigger & better at E3 2016!!!!

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

2017 started off with a bang, the Switch was out and it was swinging hard with Zelda but Xbox already had an ace up it's sleeve. the Xbox One X was formally announced in June of 2017 and boasted a power boost nobody realistically expected from MS

Xbox One X was a beast. It put MS back at the top of power and performance. It also proved to the masses that MS was no longer trying to diversify it's gaming platform to everything (TV TV TV we all remember you!) but it was aiming to be the standard bearer.

2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry

Conclusion

I went on a bit of a ramble i'll admit.

For me Xbox One is the generational masterclass.

Yes they fucked the start and it hurt the sales but they bounced back.

They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood). They've released a console that's currently unrivaled in power. They've set themselves up to continue to push forward in gaming. They dont look like stopping.

Can you please summarise 2019 for those of us without your background?

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Compared to both Sony and Nintendo they have had a terrible time off it. Yes they have improved, both in reality and in public perception, but you could hardly call it a masterclass.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
I dont think this thread is going to go over well on here but i think i see your point.

There can be no denying they have given a masterclass on turning things around in an extremely consumer friendly way, that is for sure. Its been a great gen for me anyways.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
A masterclass in business turnaround maybe. If it weren't for game pass, the value proposition would still suffer due to a lack of original content. The alignment with core Microsoft business strategy is Xbox's saving grace. If there was no way to align with Satya Nadella's vision (or nobody with the vision could think of a way), then Xbox would have been sunk.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I love my Xbox but calling Halo 5 "best exclusive of 2015",(aside that it's a bit like "the tallest dwarf") is a stretch. The game was disappointing.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I own all three consoles and I just... don't see how XBox could be considered anything but the bottom. It's not necessarily negative because all three platforms are thriving in their own way though. Gamepass is amazing.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're saying that if you fuck up the start and need to do everything in your power to turn around the negative view, that counts more than coming out swinging and deliver an entire gen? Or are you saying Sony and Nintendo (so far) are even above masterclass? I mean Xbox is next to irrelevant in entire parts of the world and everything they have done so far in the entire gen did nothing to change that. If anything they were dreadful in the start of the gen and turned it around to a norm they should be. This even needs to be proven, because aside from spending a ton of money (buying studios, subsidising GP) i have yet to see anything come from these investments.

They have a long way to go if they aim for the top. At least they set themselves up to do better next gen. I'd argue that what Microsoft has shown this gen is not a masterclass, it's a tragedy. Spending the entire gen cobbling back from their mistakes. I sincerely hope for them, but also for the industry they do better next time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively - they started off badly with their reveal but corrected fairly quickly. The deeper architectural choices that underpinned their original vision hamstrung them for the entire generation. Their first party support was ok at the start, then faded *badly* - they did something similar with 360 to the point where I don't trust them to fully support any platform of theirs for the duration of a full generation. The moves they started to make with gamepass and studio acquisitions is a good start, but they have to earn trust back and IMO two generations of comparitively poor first party support means they do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on that

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think the Xbox One, PS3 and Wii U are masterclass. Lol You can ask MS the would prefer sold through 106 million consoles or sold in 52.48 million consoles in 34 months. And Sony would have prefer reach 100 million console with PS3 losing much less mone.

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
You're obviously a huge Xbox fan OP....nothing wrong with that.
I kinda feel the same about PlayStation in that so many of their games resonate with me....that thread title is something though,lol.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've been making mostly the right decisions the past couple years imo, but Xbox is still facing a lot of chronic issues as a brand, especially when it comes to its global outreach.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I like my Xbox One (first Xbox I've owned myself, even if I played a lot of the OG Xbox), and I love how they're handling BC, both from past gens and going forward, as well as Game Pass, but as an owner of an Xbox One S, almost everything that has been released on this for the past 3 years has felt a generation behind the competition.

Obviously the X is a thing, but for 3rd parties I get significantly better performance on the base PS4, so I can't justify an upgrade, and there haven't been many first party games in recent years unfortunately, so my Xbox One is primarily a BC machine. Which in itself is fantastic, as I'm able to play a lot of games I missed out on, but it's hard to get excited to play new stuff on it when I know it'll be sub 1080p and struggling to hit 30fps.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Nonsense post...Of course the xbox one had some great games. That means nothing. Every major console in history has had great games.

The only two potentially great things Xbox did are gamepass and their disability-friendly controller. And that last one is useless to 99% of users.

I think Series Xbox X was and is a much worse value than a PS4pro since I have a gaming PC.

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

The game was broken for the best part of four years.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
MCC was a train wreck lol. It took them years to finally fix that disappointment.
MS lost all their momentum this generation (granted they lost a lot of it at the end of the 360 years) and has only very recently started to claw their way back on track. Your breakdown reads like it was written by someone who only played Xbox this gen (which is ok, just myopic).

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nonsense post...Of course the xbox one had some great games. That means nothing. Every major console in history has had great games.

The only two potentially great things Xbox did are gamepass and their disability-friendly controller. And that last one is useless to 99% of users.

I think Series X was and is a much worse value than a PS4pro since I have a gaming PC.
🤔

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I wouldn't call any gen that starts as badly as Xbox One's a masterclass, but Microsoft have been making good moves recently.

Are you unironically arguing that Halo 5 is a better game than Bloodborne

If competitive MP floats your boat, as it does for many people, then this is a perfectly reasonable and valid position to hold.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
My XBO X is a great system that plays my 4K movies and runs a bunch of third-party games better than anything that's not a PC and that occasionally I use to play some old games I liked. But a generational masterclass? Nah. I can't think of a single first-party game this generation that really caught my interest, though I did enjoy Forza on occasion. Mostly, I think about a lot of disappointing games/cancellations.

Game Pass is awesome, and MS appears to be working hard at doing better next time. I'll probably do it all on PC though.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you claim the XBOX1 is a masterclass, but it honestly reads like you only own an XBOX1 and haven't dabbled into other platforms, playing the other games you mentioned (Bloodborne, BOTW). Which makes this post very biased. Would be nice if you could touch upon why you love Xbox games much more than games on competing platforms.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna use your point on Halo 5 to focus on that and agree with you...well, not on it being better than Bloodborne, but it probably has my favorite campaign of all the mainline games.

"But the plot sucks!", you answer? It sure does. But so does every other mainline game's plot (maybe with the exception of Halo 4 if you were as deeply invested in the Extended Lore and the Forerunner Books as I was). Bungie invented an amazing universe full of great characters with Halo but they were the worst in the storytelling department. These games' plotlines are rushed & half-assed and the more you actually read and watch from the extended lore the more obvious this gets.

So when Halo 5 seemed rushed & half-assed in its story department, that didn't really bother me all too much. The gameplay and the level & encounter design is where its at for me and those were probably the best they've ever been. Big, open spaces to fight in, multiple ways to approach & a huge roster of different enemies asking for different tactics, but with little of the clutter and busywork from previous games (seriously, count the amount of times you have to run through overly dark/identical looking corridors in H1-3.) The level were varied and amazing looking, the production values are as off the charts as you'd expect and coop was incredibly fun if you wanted to engage with it. And then there was the great multiplayer, too.

Halo 5 got a really bad rep for things the previous games continually get excused for, while it gets ignored for all the things it does well.

Sorry for the tangent!

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck mate if the Xbox One was a Masterclass what does that make the PS4? Perfection? The final evolution of game consoles? God?

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
You lost me at Halo 5 being better than Bloodborne to be honest.

Glad you enjoyed your Xbox One though. It has been good to see MS finally emerging from the hole they dug themselves with the launch. Next gen is going to be a far more even fight I feel.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I had a 360 and bought countless games on the system. I bought a cheap PS3 afterward just because we were doing offline fighting game sessions at home, bux Xbox was my main system by far.

Now I only got a PS4. This is indeed some masterclass plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.