• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sony's "clear-cut console generations" versus Microsoft's "Xbox family". You prefer?

• Sony's approach

Votes: 254 51.8%
  • Microsoft's approach

Votes: 236 48.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Title really. Xbox messaging as of late has been pretty good (outside of that Inside Xbox lol.) I love Game Pass. xCloud seems cool. And certain Xbox first-party games are my most anticipated games this year, period. Psychonauts 2 (!!!!!!!!!) and Halo Infinite.

But for me, as a primarily PC dude, the excitement for Series X just isn't there.

I think the big reason why is because that feeling of familiarity is still there. The same controller (basically), same UI, same game boxes etc. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Well sure, but you can't really shake off the fact that it all just feels like an extension of this (pretty bad) gen for Xbox instead of a fresh new start, free of all the baggage.

XboxSeriesXController_HERO.jpg

Crash-Bandicoot-4-Its-About-Time-artwork-001.jpg

I know this is MS' cross-generational strategy for the coming gen, it works with their focus on services + software and it definitely has its perks but man, from someone who has no real stake in consoles, it realllllllllly does not feel like a new generation is on the horizion when you look at the Xbox camp. Well, at least compared to Sony.

The VP of UX Design at PlayStation has talked about how the UI for PS5 will be a 100% overhaul, the PlayStation 5 itself has a bold new look (when was the last time the default PlayStation console was white?), game covers match the new black, white and blue colors, Sony completely ditched the DualShock branding for PS5 in favor of the DualSense etc...

593960-PlayStation-5-console-horizontal.jpg

3697808-capture.jpg

All of this just comes together and helps it stand out from the previous generation. I really don't want to gas Sony up more than I have to >_> but the point is, the PS5 has a distinct design language that is set to mark the start of a new generation and define the rest of it. You don't even have to like it (I'm still not fully on board myself) but you can't deny the effort to shake things up is there. The transition feels major, but I don't get that vibe at ALL with Xbox's handling of the Series X.

Like I said above, I understand Microsoft's approach and in a way, it helps them stand out as they're the only real console manufacturer that has placed this huge of an impact on their history, being able to play original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games on a single system but me personally I'm more in tune with Sony's approach of looking to the future (considering I can already play a lot of these games on PC.)

All in all... It's just a tiny gripe tbh. It's not a deal breaker by any means as software is king at the end of the day but new console generations have this special enthusiasm and anticipation to it. We're months away from the launch of a new generation and I'm slowly starting to feel that in the Sony camp. Can't say the same for Xbox though :/

Next-gen should be interesting. This gen felt pretty clear cut as to who was offering the better value (at least at the start) but MS have been bringing the heat in more ways than one and look to be carrying that momentum forward.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You're focusing too much on branding. Series X is a gargantuan leap forward from a tech standpoint.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of the point

No more hard resets every gen where your $500 box from 5 years ago and all the $60 games lose their value immediately

Instead you upgrade as you see fit without ever compromising on the games you can play

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft would've been in a better position if they had just kept the 360 OS and UI and sped it up for the one. Xbox one OS was a mess for so long and they have finally turned a corner in the past 3 years. So I disagree, keep the same OS and dashboard look, it's fantastic

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That's what they're going for. One ecosystem united by gamepass through BC.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In regards to UI, I'm pretty sure Jez said that they're redesigning the UI for XSX, just that X1 console will also get the update. So it'll still be a new experience.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Well, that is completely their message...
No console generations, games are available across the board, a unified gaming service.
So...
They are doing a good job at that.

Rober

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 22, 2020
Sony marketing is working wonders on you.

like seriously, you think it's great That the next Spider-Man for example is using PS4 assets and could easily be done on PS4 will be released on PS5 only?
And what about all your accessories, your old controllers etc. Can you use them on your ps5?

MS' approach is great, it's very PRO-customer. They are giving players the CHOICE. Can't believe gamers don't appreciate that. It's the best way for us gamers.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, after next year is done, they are not gonna release games on Xbox One, so all this is just marketing talk to me.

Oct 25, 2017
They really aren't operating that much differently than how Apple manages iPhones, and at the end of the day the variety of options and keeping features instead of starting over should end up more consumer friendly.

I can understand the lack of distinction between what's old and new though. The hardware itself is the focus.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say that's by design. MS is very clearly going for a "forward compatibility" mindset, they don't want you to feel like you're buying a console thinking "great, now i gotta build up a library for this all over again".

Whether that resonates with you is another deal altogether but I think at least MS is being very forthcoming about what they envision the Series X to be.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
It really does feel like they are playing it safe.

Obviously the hardware specs are a great jump forward, but using the same UI as the Xbox One, using the same controller (with the exception of the share button that the DS4 had) and then not having any exclusive games at launch doesn't give me a reason to even consider getting back into the Xbox ecosystem. There's nothing too exciting about it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's the messaging and marketing that make it seems like "this is the same thing but more stronk"
I don't think Xbox would necessarily disagree with that statement. They're fundamentally challenging how people see console generations. Me personally, I think it only looks weird because they're the first to do it this way in earnest, but I think it makes much more sense, and it wouldn't surprise me if the PS7 ends up being a similar thing.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm overall more excited for the X but I absolutely see what you mean. It all is layed out very much like an extension of the groundwork set, rather than a new beginning. It's obviously by design, but...yeah.

Rober

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 22, 2020
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing another member
Ok, OP, looking at your post history, it's absolutely clear why.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony marketing seems to resonate well with you, doesn't make Series X less of a next-gen console, especially considering it's slightly more powerful hardware too.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I don't think it's too controversial to say it might turn out to be Microsoft's 'Wii U' in that no one knows it's their Next-Gen machine.
Yea those 100+ million Xbone owners will be so confused when they see nothing related to xbone at the store anymore and only series x hardware.

Wii U was a mess for more than just the name. The main thing was why buy a Wii U when a Wii is cheaper, readily available, and you only want Wii sports

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's the games. I want to see more, something needs to make me want to buy that system, otherwise I'd just buy a PC.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it does but i think that what they wanted? No generation .everything has to work on all consoles. It's their approach For time being . Many will love it, many wont And that's fair

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

like seriously, you think it's great That the next Spider-Man for example is using PS4 assets and could easily be done on PS4 will be released on PS5 only?
And what about all your accessories, your old controllers etc. Can you use them on your ps5?

MS' approach is great, it's very PRO-customer. They are giving players the CHOICE. Can't believe gamers don't appreciate that. It's the best way for us gamers.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the game boxes really going to be the same? I didn't think they had really shown off retail items and packaging for the "Series" line.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I like the approach, there are only so many times you can reiterate on a controller or UI. IMO the Xbox controller is pretty near perfect at this point. I love the idea of being able to upgrade my console before another 8 year cycle and also being able to play Xbox games on PC if I wanted to. Microsoft has always been an industry leader: please see Xbox live, achievements and gamepass. This line of thinking that we need a newly designed controller and game disc box and UI every 8 years is super old school.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Disagree highly
That's just your personal perception of it.
It's highly better than the Xbox one X
And they don't have to reinvent the wheel constantly with design on certain things
Plus the box itself looks way different

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It really does feel like they are playing it safe.

Obviously the hardware specs are a great jump forward, but using the same UI as the Xbox One, using the same controller (with the exception of the share button that the DS4 had) and then not having any exclusive games at launch doesn't give me a reason to even consider getting back into the Xbox ecosystem. There's nothing too exciting about it.
There will be next-gen exclusives at launch or close to it though. We already know about The Medium and Scorn.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Doesn't feel like a mid-gen refresh to me, feels like MS are gearing up to go all out this time with a beast of a machine and a big push for first party content. It's exciting for me.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
what the fuck is this warrior "stealth" thread? I see people around here are not even bothering trying to hide their fanboyism.

giphy.gif

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Sony said PS4 controllers work on PS5

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I dunno. I kind of like them playing it safe. You could get something similar in looks to the PS5 and controller. No thanks!

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I agree, i was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. Might be a WiiU kind of problem for MS if they don't get their message right.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That's kind of the point

No more hard resets every gen where your $500 box from 5 years ago and all the $60 games lose their value immediately

Instead you upgrade as you see fit without ever compromising on the games you can play
Yeah Sony's more of a you can upgrade but it's not a given to play all your games you bought on your other console.

Xbox is hey you wanna play on a cheaper system? Awesome we'll make sure your experience is great there too.

PWRade

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be surprised if you couldn't use PS4 accessories on PS5, given that it is backwards compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.