• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Never mind. it was charismatic Autobiography

This is my third time bouncing off this game due to the combat. I havent even unlocked Majima because the fights are so bad.

Edit: Its not that I die, but fights are taking three times as long as they should because of stupid bullshit. Im already on easy mode. It doesnt fix an ultimately broken system.

I just had a fight where for an entire minute I had literally zero options since I was surrounded by enemies, some of which had stun batons. I tried dodging away but I was hit back into the stun baton. I try blocking but that doesnt stop the stun baton. I try running but same issue as dodging. I tried being aggressive but unsurprisingly I got stun batoned. I just had to keep getting stunned until I was lucky enough to get through a gap of enemies, and then get a few hits in before getting stunned again.

The camera is fucking disgusting too, constantly having to fight it to look where I want, especially if Im locked on to someone.

I looked up a combat tutorial video online hoping i was missing some core lesson to making this playable but nope. Sadly I understood the combat.

Dont mash square. Use the right style for the situation and change when necessary. Block and dodge, use your finishers and heat actions.

Nothing fucking works when the game decides you dont get to play.

If it was clunky I would be fine. I can play around bad controls. But the fact that the game just has entire stretches of time where you dont get to have options and just hope that things work out is exceptionally bad.

Ive heard that it gets better as you unlock more options but I don't know how it can get any good when the core design is so stupidly busted.

Last edited:

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never struggled with the fight system in 0 and found it refreshing compared to the original system. To each his own I guess.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza combat is amazing and consistently fun. I don't think I've ever disagree with a take more than this.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I found it fun as all hell, esp when you get good at Rush style and you're ducking and dodging and punching like little mac on crack

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my third time bouncing off this game due to the combat. I havent even unlocked Majima because the fights are so bad. Its not that I die, but fights are taking three times as long as they should because of stupid bullshit.

I just had a fight where for an entire minute I had literally zero options since I was surrounded by enemies, some of which had stun batons. I tried dodging away but I was hit back into the stun baton. I try blocking but that doesnt stop the stun baton. I try running but same issue as dodging. I tried being aggressive but unsurprisingly I got stun batoned. I just had to keep getting stunned until I was lucky enough to get through a gap of enemies, and then get a few hits in before getting stunned again.

The camera is fucking disgusting too, constantly having to fight it to look where I want, especially if Im locked on to someone.

I looked up a combat tutorial video online hoping i was missing some core lesson to making this playable but nope. Sadly I understood the combat.

Dont mash square. Use the right style for the situation and change when necessary. Block and dodge, use your finishers and heat actions.

Nothing fucking works when the game decides you dont get to play.

If it was clunky I would be fine. I can play around bad controls. But the fact that the game just has entire stretches of time where you dont get to have options and just hope that things work out is exceptionally bad.

Ive heard that it gets better as you unlock more options but I don't know how it can get any good when the core design is so stupidly busted.
I have tried so, so many times to get into Yakuza 0, and the combat is just so goddamn unfun. To each their own, but I just do not understand why people find it fun.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have tried so, so many times to get into Yakuza 0, and the combat is just so goddamn unfun. To each their own, but I just do not understand why people find it fun.
Im not going to pretend that combat isnt one of the main appeals of Yakuza, but I vastly loved the game because of the wacky side quests and addicting mini games over the combat itself.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Use your surroundings if you can. Picking up tables, desks, bicycles, etc. can help with mobs.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Explain how not to get into situations of not getting to play like I described.

I would love to know.
I'm trying to imaging how you got into situations like the one you described. Kiryu is like a whirlwind knocking crowds of gangsters down.

maybe you need to unlock a few moves?

oh wait do you have that one item that makes fighting almost impossible because the enemies become end-game aggressive? it's a book you get from a side quest I think, lmao.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember having any issues in Yakuza 0. Lower the difficulty if you're struggling that much.

I do remember Kiwami having some bullshit boss fights tho.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Doesn't Beast Style blocking prevent you from getting stunned by those? It might be a skill you have to unlock though, I know for bullets you have to unlock it.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally the opposite of my experience with the game, found the combat sublime

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I changed to hard because battles were over so quickly and easily. After that, I still had some battles that took about two or three good punches and were over literally after a few seconds in the early game. No idea what you're doing to have these kinds of problems.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God, and you're in those narrow alleyways and it just keeps bouncing off the buildings?

I hated the combat in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami. I played enough of Kiwami 2 to fight one dude and promptly dropped it.

That said, I've never found myself in a position such as OP. Biggest hair puller for me was when I'd tried to reset the camera behind me during a Shakedown fight and it just went crazy and I lost all my money because I couldn't see what was going on for a second.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Here's some quick pointers from someone who's finished all of them.

1. Attack one enemy at a time. Kite them away.
2. Use the R1 button to strafe.
3. X is to dodge.
4. L1 to block - You have to master shifting between these three. Later on in the game you'll be able to increase, your dodge range. (I think you have to unlock these abilities by spending XP)
5. Fill up your heat meter and use heat moves often.
6. Grabbing and throwing someone can hit other enemies to clear them out.
7. Don't keep spamming square. 2 or 3 at the most, otherwise enemies will hit you back.
8. Square, Square, Triangle or Square, Square, Square, Triangle usually works well.
9. Fill up your inventory with health drinks.
10. The regular style is my favourite, but if you're struggling to get hits in, try the rush style, its weaker but you'll land more hits.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Already am. Its not dying/damage thats the issue, its bad design of getting stunlocked for giant stretches of time.

If you're going against groups then you should be picking up stuff in Beast Mode and knocking people around with it. If you've unlocked it, pick up enemies and throw them around. If you have a particular problem with people with tasers, throw something at them and then focus on taking them out first. To be honest though I don't remember ever having this problem so can you post a video of it? Not sure I understand what you mean completely.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
only played 0 and kiwami 1 so i don't know what the "status quo" is on yakuza combat but i found it to be a mix of turgid jank + old school brawler 'fun'

not amazing not terrible but i can see why somebody would throw down their controller before long. i kind of want to play more of them, kind of don't

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You're using Kazuma right now? Generally Beast mode is good for groups, especially if there are any weapons. Rush is good as well just punch and dodge repeatedly. You can kind of approach it like Dark Souls combat. Try to let enemies get locked in their animations and attack when its safe. Other than that just buy a bunch of healing items. You get overpowered in the game very quickly once you progress a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
I see no reason not to play these games on easy. I'm playing normal (after starting on hard and eventually knocking the difficulty down).

There is a ton of combat in the series, so if you aren't enjoying it, stick it on easy. I would describe the combat as fine. Not brilliant but not bad. Definitely not the reason I've enjoyed the series so far.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Sounds about right for a Yakuza 5 engine game, plus the deep deep negatives of the style system. 0 was not fun for me to play, not even the combat which usually is dumb enough fun.

Oh my God, and you're in those narrow alleyways and it just keeps bouncing off the buildings?
Sotenbori in Yakuza 5 was really bad about this. Some very narrow streets in that place made fighting even worse than it already was for me.

edit: oh geez not the Charismatic Photo thing... AGAIN. >_<

OP
OP
Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Apparantly theres an item that can make enemies super aggressive? I never ran into that problem tho so not sure if thats what you're experiencing.
Its called the charismatic photograph
Ooh this might actually be it. The item description implies it would get me more random encounters so I thought thatd be good for getting money.

My issue is identical to that in the video

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The real time Yakuza combat titles have among my favorite combat in any game series (another big part to why the new turn based direction disappointing to me) so I highly disagree.

I'm also one of the few people that enjoys and purposely equips the charismatic item to amp up things so yeah.
I know long time fans that love the series and have told me that they find the combat lackluster which I find crazy since it's such a constant thing in these games that you gotta tolerate if you aren't into. To each it's own though. Hope we get another real time combat title from RGG Studio's one day. If not, I'll keep enjoying their past catalog and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

Ooh this might actually be it. The item description implies it would get me more random encounters so I thought thatd be good for getting money.

My issue is identical to that in the video
lmaoo the charismatic photograph and the charismatic autobiography make fighting hard because they swarm and counter you like end-game fighters.

More randomly beating you upside the head when you least expect it and can't defend against it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Really? The combat is fun and meaty if a little brain dead. I only ever died on purpose to grind Mr. Shakedowns

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played 3, 4 and 5 previously and love the combat. Now playing Kiwami, Wtf is this style bullshit, I hate it. Telling me Yakuza 0 has it too? Will probably skip it. Any others?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Already am. Its not dying/damage thats the issue, its bad design of getting stunlocked for giant stretches of time.

That's the game, its not meant to be a dynasty warriors style masher or diablo destroy everything type game.

Its meant to be a hand to hand brawler, where you duck a punch and counter. If you get caught in enemy punches it can be annoying, but there are some ways around it like blocking, strafing and dodging. Rush style has a lot less stunlock if that's what you're looking for, but its really weak compared to the 'regular' style (I forgot what its called) and I'd rather take the occasional hit and deal out way more damage.

Oct 29, 2017
Voted best mainline Yakuza game by this very forum, so I dunno.

Yakuza.png

www.resetera.com

What do you think is the best mainline Yakuza game?

Era It is time Which Yakuza game does Era think is the best Yakuza game Personally I've only played 4, 5 and 0, but of those 3 I think 0 has it by a hair I'm curious as to which game wins overall Please post which games you've played and why you enjoyed your favourite the most

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I haven't disagreed with a take this hard in forever. It's one of my favorite combat systems. The camera is really only an issue for me in the small halls or something.

I literally don't understand the problems you're describing - do you have a video or something to describe that behavior OP? I feel like something is getting lost here, so if you can point to a visual example we might be able to help.

EDIT: FUCK Did the photograph claim another victim?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Had to do a double take at the title. Do you normally play beat'em up action games OP or did you want to try it out based on word of mouth & didn't quite know what to expect?

Edit: lol unequip it, OP. You should be fine.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Combat was painfully repetitive and against regular enemies there was never a need to switch styles, execute with precision, or even really think. Got so bad that I'd always just run away from groups of thugs after a certain point.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Charismatic Photograph/Autobiography strikes again. I honestly wish it wasn't in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that its so ubiquitous a problem is definitely the games fault, but yes.
I hope you get to enjoy it now! I actually don't like the combat either, but it's at least fun to control (make sure to unlock Quick-change Clothes as soon as possible) and the rest of the game is fantastic. It's not a particularly good combat system, but it's not a frustrating one either.

EDIT: Also, don't sleep on the shotgun. Shit's good.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've finished 6 yakuza games and i am so looking forward to playing 7 with the switch-up to RPG combat and not having to deal with their terrible brawling system.

0 (and Kiwami 1) probably has the best combat system of the lot and it's still pretty terrible imho. I feel ya OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.