• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
This was wildly unexpected news to me, as I never would have guessed. However, if you watch the video from someone with both versions, only the Xbox version has a requires internet warning message on the front and back. The PS4 version even says "Online Play Optional". I thought some people would like to know this information, so just putting it out there.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
This was wildly unexpected news to me, as I never would have guessed. However, if you watch the video from someone with both versions, only the Xbox version has a requires internet warning message on the front and back. The PS4 version even says "Online Play Optional". I thought some people would like to know this information, so just putting it out there.

Uh why though ? That is weird. Reminds me of always on with PC DRM.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Don't plan to own either next gen console any time soon but isn't a bit of a weird and very console specific difference? What reason would there be for there to be an internet connection requirement only on the Xbox?

Brother Seth

Oct 25, 2019
Most likely because of smart delivery. It has to download the correct assets for the system. The PS version is "just" the PS4 edition. If my suspicion is correct, then the Internet connection doesn't have to be continuous.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Going to assume the xbox version needs some sort of update. That banner is always a bit odd because it means a ton of different things and not actually that it needs to be "online" to play.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most likely because of smart delivery. It has to download the correct assets for the system. The PS version is "just" the PS4 edition. If my suspicion is correct, then the Internet connection doesn't have to be continuous.

That explanation makes sense, if there's a different version needed for Xbox series s/X, that isn't on the one disc, it will have to be downloaded, for obvious reasons.

Have any other games for that?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That banner is really confusing for the average user. Should use a different wording.

Oh I completely agree, really should be specific on what it means.
When I get my copy on Tuesday (barring any official word). I'll try it on my X1X and XSX offline to see if it allows me to play.
Since we already had this with Tony Hawk and that could be played offline.

s-l300.jpg

"
You do not needan internet connection to play the game. It is possible to play the disc on its own
without internet, but you will not be unable to get the Day One patch, play online Multiplayer, and access other features. Please note: a gaming subscription is required for online multiplayer (PS Plus, Xbox Live).
"

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why would this be a thing instead of the whole game being on the disc and then you download the extras for the enhanced console like already happens with the enhanced consoles? When a smart delivery game is published, what is on the disc? 4K assets, standard assets, no assets?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a mess. I'm skipping this I guess. Was looking forward to it too...
Read this. Jawmuncher can we have a clearer title. This is making people think the game is always online

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Why would this be a thing instead of the whole game being on the disc and then you download the extras for the enhanced console like already happens with the enhanced consoles? When a smart delivery game is published, what is on the disc? 4K assets, standard assets, no assets?

What you're describing is likely the exact case unless someone just royally screwed something up. It's likely the "base" xbox one version on the disc. So an internet connection is required to download the "XSX" assets. We might actually see more of this for anything cross delivery as the week goes on.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the game doesn't run higher quality texture packs snd gge same code. It is sn entirely different game like how MM is not the same code on PS4 and PS5.

OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I completely agree, really should be specific on what it means.
When I get my copy on Tuesday (barring any official word). I'll try it on my X1X and XSX offline to see if it allows me to play.
Since we already had this with Tony Hawk and that could be played offline.

s-l300.jpg

"
You do not needan internet connection to play the game. It is possible to play the disc on its own
without internet, but you will not be unable to get the Day One patch, play online Multiplayer, and access other features. Please note: a gaming subscription is required for online multiplayer (PS Plus, Xbox Live).
"
It's interesting that Tony Hawk uses the phrase "Requires Content Download", however and not "Requires Internet Connection".

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This twitter account posts a lot about media preservation, DRM, physical copies, etc.
They are checking if a game is playable day 1 without any internet connection and more.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
What you're describing is likely the exact case unless someone just royally screwed something up. It's likely the "base" xbox one version on the disc. So an internet connection is required to download the "XSX" assets. We might actually see more of this for anything cross delivery as the week goes on.
It's "required" though? I would've thought you can choose whether you want the upgrade or not? Surely you can still play the game okay if you happen to not have an internet connection. That is what's confusing about this, and maybe it's a mistake in the wording.

Because the game doesn't run higher quality texture packs snd gge same code. It is sn entirely different game like how MM is not the same code on PS4 and PS5.
Can you play the game on XSX without connecting to the internet, as if you'd put the disc into the XB1? That would be strange and completely unecessary if it were not the case. How are other smart delivery games handled in this case?

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I checked my Smart Delivery copy of Watch Dogs Legion and it doesn't say anything about an online connection being required. I don't think it's that. Smart Delivery games for Xbox Series X is supposed to have both versions on disc.

If it didn't for whatever reason then it would just be the Xbox One BC version but I think that would only apply to retail games that got Smart Delivery updates after release.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's "required" though? I would've thought you can choose whether you want the upgrade or not? Surely you can still play the game if you happen to not have an internet connection. That is what's confusing about this, and maybe it's a mistake in the wording.

Yeah, it is confusing, going to ask for specifics right now to be sure.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's "required" though? I would've thought you can choose whether you want the upgrade or not? Surely you can still play the game okay if you happen to not have an internet connection. That is what's confusing about this, and maybe it's a mistake in the wording.

Can you play the game on XSX without connecting to the internet, as if you'd put the disc into the XB1? That would be strange and completely unecessary if it were not the case. How are other smart delivery games handled in this case?
It probably is a required statement if they are going to put Series X on the front of the box. Otherwise you'd have trolls complaining that they don't get the XSX update without an internet connection.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I believe yes. You can play in BC mode. You need to download next gen

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
For disc based games why dont they just put all the assets for the SX version on the disc but when played on X1, it only installs whats needed? That way SX players don't need a content download

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is confusing, going to ask for specifics right now to be sure.
I'm surprised there's no "footnote" on the back of the box that explains what this means, that would have been the easy way to not cause confusion - but game boxes have been weird recently.

It probably is a required statement if they are going to put Series X on the front of the box. Otherwise you'd have trolls complaining that they don't get the XSX update without an internet connection.
You'd think they'd have a footnote with a proper explanation on the back.

I believe yes. You can play in BC mode. You need to download next gen
Good, this needs to remain the standard.

Oct 27, 2017
I preloaded the XBO digital version last night, it's 36GB.

Assuming that the Series S|X version is a similar size, this means putting them both on the same disc isn't possible as it goes over the 50GB bluray size. Launch Xbox One consoles can't read UHD bluray discs, so the publisher options are limited.

They could maybe have put out 2 discs with one as a data disc and the other as a play disc.

It seems like they've went with just having the Xbox One version on disc and if you put that disc into a Series S|X then it downloads the smart delivery. It probably works without an Internet connection but you'll be playing the Xbox One game.

We'll have to wait and see what happens when someone puts the disc in a Series X that isn't connected to the Internet. I'm very interested in the result.

Nov 21, 2017
What is wrong with Yakuza 7. The game is delayed on PS5(likely moneyhatted), will not support PS5 cross save, was just mysteriously delayed on Xbox Series X & S in Japan only, and now only the Xbox version requires the internet to play. Something is up.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything around this game sounds like a mess. I am not sure why the hell it is the way it is when Yakuza never had this sort of issues before.

It came out for the ps4 earlier this year and aside from some weird moves like the dlc it was basically the same as the others. It is only when it comes to the west that things seem to be going badly.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is a common disclaimer on Xbox cases and usually denotes a required download or day one patch. This isn't a special case and, as such, this isn't really thread worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.