• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-news-impossible-lair-update-and-more/

TU1_NotSoImpossibleLair.jpg

We're making some changes to the Impossible Lair! You know, the Lair itself. We wanted to offer players more options for taking on the Impossible Lair while still maintaining a sense of challenge and achievement.

Not So Impossible Lair

Each section now ends with a Checkpoint (Checkmates, technically). Checkpoints save your best "Bee Shield score", meaning you can choose which sections to start from, practice and improve on! Using these checkpoints is entirely optional.

Impossible Lair

No Bee Shield, no Checkpoints! The "Golden Try" Tonic can now be earned this way – no new save file required.

846870_20200409134341_1.jpg

8-BIT SOUNDTRACK

The brilliant Tater-Tot Tunes has composed an entire 8-Bit Soundtrack covering every 2D level in the game. To access it, simply find it in the pause menu once the update is live. If Chiptune is your thing, you're in for a real treat!

Once again, we've teamed up with Materia Collective! This time they're bringing the 8-Bit version of the Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair soundtrack, "Retro Remix", to a music streaming service/store near you! Pre-Save the album on Spotify or Apple Music and have it ready to go for the 14th!

The update releases April 14th. This should be great news for anyone who was put off by the challenge of the Lair, as well as a great excuse for a replay thanks to the 8-bit soundtrack!

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Does the game get harder? Because I was put off by how overwhelmingly easy it was in the first couple of stages and dropped it

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Doesn't mention if choosing to do the "Not so Impossible" Lair affects your ability to get the "Defeat Capital B" trophy since they put the last battle with him at the end of the Lair. Its the only one im missing.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, even the non-Lair stages get pretty challenging as it goes on.

Interesting. I think the way the game started with a difficult level, then puts you into something equivalent to mario 1-1, then stays at that speed for like 5 stages just turned me off. Maybe I'll have to give it a bit more time

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It was a good game. But the difficult spike in the lair was terrible so I had to drop it. Might come back and try it again now that this is out.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Aww man, I was hoping for Time Trials but hopefully next time. Awesome though, I could have really used these QoL features! But I'm still glad I persevered and beat it the original way. Took me many, many hours and tried but felt great.

Also paging deadfolk who I know will like this news.

Better than TF?

Is the demo representative of the game?

Demo should be pretty representative of the game. Demo progress carries over to the main game. I thought the game was nearly as good as TF, myself. It's definitely a true DKC6, no question. I absolutely loved it.

B4mv I wanted to second that the game gets significantly harder as it goes on, and I had a much better experience/difficulty curve personally by reducing checkpoints to just one in the middle of the level (using a tonic) and that going for all the Coins really enriches the difficulty and overall experience.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they added the option for those that needed it.

Intrigued by the 8 bit tunes but it's also kinda random, not like the games inspirations date that far back, that and the music is tops already but hey, more is good I guess.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Better than TF?

Is the demo representative of the game?

Might be a controversial opinion but I certainly think so. If it's not better then it certainly comes damn close.

I haven't tried the demo since I bought the game at launch but from what I understand it should be a good sample, even lets you play the entirety of the Lair if you're good enough.

Glad they added the option for those that needed it.

Intrigued by the 8 bit tunes but it's also kinda random, not like the games inspirations date that far back, that and the music is tops already but hey, more is good I guess.

The chiptunes are done by Tater-Tot Tunes, who is a fellow Y-L fan that does lots of 8-bit covers on Youtube. I imagine it was a "hey let's do a collab!" type of thing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so is the original version of the Impossible Lair just not in the game anymore? Now it's the new checkpoint version, or the non-bee shield version?

It's unbelievably good

I mean, you get the original version just by picking the start instead of one of the checkpoints if you don't want to use them!

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh there's a demo? Awesome. I was waiting for Gamepass but I need a fun platformer.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you get the original version just by picking the start instead of one of the checkpoints if you don't want to use them!
Checkpoints in the Impossible Lair mean I might actually go back and finish it
Ok good to know. I'm glad these options are in the game for those that want them, but the OG version was a pretty amazing experience imo so I wouldn't want that to just no longer exist

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game get harder? Because I was put off by how overwhelmingly easy it was in the first couple of stages and dropped it

Yes. Then the Lair itself, even with full Bees, is a full magnitude higher in difficulty. Still doable but it's a notable step beyond even the hardest thing the rest of the game can offer.

Scorthyn

Apr 5, 2020
I'm damn glad they added this option. Done all the levels but the impossible lair is just a pain to go trough, having to repeat the whole level. I'm in for a challenge but this is just tedious , dropped it after couple of tries. The game is amazing tho

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country

I am not of the same opinion that this game is as good or even better than TF. There's a certain lack of polish and attention to detail compared to Retro's titles, has wonky hit boxes, bad clipping and the level design and progress just don't compare to Retro's best. I also found David Wise's soundtrack to be quite average with few stand-out tracks.

That being said, if you enjoyed DKCR/TF and want more, you'll certainly enjoy it. Just judge it by its own merits.

Oh and I'll try to beat The Impossible Lair without that patch!

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game actually any good?
One of the best platformers we've had in a while. The levels are pretty great, the second versions of each stages are unique enough to always feel like a brand new level and the overworld is simply relaxing to walk around and solve it's little puzzles. The game is a treat.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I am not of the same opinion that this game is as good or even better than TF. There's a certain lack of polish and attention to detail compared to Retro's titles, has wonky hit boxes, bad clipping and the level design and progress just don't compare to Retro's best. I also found David Wise's soundtrack to be quite average with few stand-out tracks.

That being said, if you enjoyed DKCR/TF and want more, you'll certainly enjoy it. Just judge it by its own merits.

Oh and I'll try to beat The Impossible Lair without that patch!
Why would you not install the patch? The Impossible Lair without checkpoints is still in there.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Saw the Bandcamp email this morning (for the 8-bit soundtrack) before the announcement went out. I'll give the Impossible Lair another shot on Switch, but I don't think I'll do the golden try.

Good to see the 64 bit tonic stuff is still coming, but at this point, should I give up on the Kickstarter incentive for new DLC? That poor robot still says exposition loading is at 98%.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Much better. Level design is more clever and much more challenging, and the way that the overworld is designed with both its own puzzles and the way it connects to the platforming stages themselves is just *chef's kiss*. And outside of The Impossible Lair level itself being a tremendous challenge that is still surmountable even without the new checkpoints, the role that this level plays in the larger scheme of the game is just fantastic.

Head to toe, YL: TIL is just a tremendous game. It was the "Hollow Knight" of last year

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Amazing improvement to an amazing game. I was able to complete the lair itself at my fourth attempt, but these new options will make for sure that the game is enjoyable for everybody.

You should all get it as soon as possible if you haven't yet. It doesn't reach the heights of quality of Tropical Freeze to me, but it surely takes a near spot among the greatest 2D platformers of the last decade. As a spiritual successor of the original DKC trilogy, The Impossible Lair feels more close to them than the Retro Studios bilogy.

My only complain is that I just wanted to see more variation of ambience themes, but it is just a small grumble among all the virtues of the game: great level design, awesome music, amazing controls, response and physics... the game even manages to stand out in the genre thanks to the BOTWesque idea of getting stronger in order to beat the final level whenever you feel ready, as well as letting the player explore an awesome and big overworld full of secrets and the crazy tonic system to adjust difficulty, controls and aesthetics up to player's taste.

Playtonic took some risks with this one instead of making just another 2D platformer, and the result was excellent (now even better thanks to the new patch). I think I might replay it one of these days playing just my favorite levels and going straight to the lair.

BOUNCE_GIF1.gif

What a game.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
I need to get back to this game. I played a bunch on Switch last year but still had a few levels left before taking on the Impossible Lair. Just got distracted by other stuff coming out/wife using the Switch for Pokemon.

I liked it a lot but I'm surprised to see people say it's better than Tropical Freeze.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because I reached 75% of that level last night and I don't have the patience to wait 5 days for it lol

The patch is out right now, at least on the EU switch eshop (unless the game has had some other substantial patch since that I'm downloading instead, haha); it's five days for the chiptune music to be put on streaming services.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was one of the best games of last year and a better successor to the DKC trilogy than even Tropical Freeze.
That's some high praise. Most people probably skipped it due to the relative disappointment of the first game. It cracked the top 50 last year, but only ranked in one category (action game) and then barely made even that. I'll have to give it a fairer shake. Played the first few levels when it was free on Epic and didn't think much of it.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
The patch is out right now, at least on the EU switch eshop (unless the game has had some other substantial patch since that I'm downloading instead, haha); it's five days for the chiptune music to be put on streaming services.

Got it! It says update releases on the 14th in the OP. I'll patch it then. And hopefully it also fixes some pesky bugs (playing on Switch).

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not available for me. EU. Are you sure you aren't downloading an already missed and old patch ?

Oct 25, 2017
I never believed in checkpoints as a way to nerf the Lair, which was fine as is, but I greatly appreciate the addition of a separate Impossible Lair with no Bee Shield that no longer requires you to restart a fresh save file if you want to pursue the golden tonic. I was specifically waiting for this before climbing the mountain of refining my Lair runs down to zero deaths.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not available for me. EU. Are you sure you aren't downloading an already missed and old patch ?
I'm not sure hence my disclaimer saying as much in the post you quoted, 😅. It's definitely been a while since I played the game and it might have been an intermediate patch I never got, oops.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting that while they've added an easier (not-so-impossible) lair, they've also made the original Lair even more difficult by removing bees altogether from it. lol Fuck that shit, it was hard enough WITH the bees. One of my gaming crowning achievements finally completing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.