• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is strictly about Zack Snyder's films as a director, not his personal life or himself.

Since 2009

-Watchman underperforms, WB gives Snyder bigger budget his next film Sucker Punch
-Sucker Punch flops
-Snyder is given the keys to Superman
-Man of Steel underperforms
-WB gives Snyder free reign to kickstart the DCEU with Batman v Superman, starring two of some of America's most iconic pop culture characters, with the film underperforming.
-Despite the negative response and tepid box office, WB allows Snyder to continue with Justice League.
-Whedon takes over post production and reshoots, then once the film is released it once again underperforms
-Snyder's fans start demanding a #releasethesnydercut, something which started out as a meme completely took over social media. Even in the real world fans started buying billboards to place ads, or flying airplanes with banners reading #releasethesnydercut. A very dedicated fanbase.
-Snyder's cut is finally announced, which will release 4 years after the original release, with WB giving Snyder 20-30 million to finish the film.

Like damn. However you feel about his films, he's constantly delivering his own vision regardless of how his work is received. I respect that.
All praise the GOAT
-99tc8nNaxeSs0jH2veNrKtMrlkFS-wYqYK76VxWqQXKun09GDyma3JryvHzqG8oCdbodRZLZJAkupZfW7gH8PcCyVjW5wiFo1DRXfoAj2iz6VCSk_rvedxYpBhJ52Ptsduqdvjr9mwG8QwGMOsv-gmh

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
He directed a little movie called 300 that gained him a ton of cred

also he's a white man

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is not uncommon. Every heard of failing forward?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
This is strictly about Zack Snyder's films as a director, not his personal life or himself.

Since 2009

-Watchman underperforms, WB gives Snyder a bigger budget for his next film Sucker Punch
-Sucker Punch flops
-Snyder is giving the reigns to Superman
-Man of Steel underperforms
-WB gives Snyder the keys to kickstart the DCEU with Batman v Superman, starring two of some of America's most iconic pop culture characters, with the film under performing.
-Despite the negative response and tepid box office, WB allows Snyder to continue with Justice League.
-Whedon takes over post production and reshoots, then once the film is released it once again underperforms
-Snyder's fans start demanding a #releasethesnydercut, something which started out as a meme completely took over social media. Even in the real world fans started buying billboards to place ads, or flying airplanes with banners reading #releasethesnydercut. A very dedicated fanbase.
-Snyder's cut is finally announced, which will release 4 years after the original release, with WB giving Snyder 20-30 million to finish the film.

Like damn. In terms of his work life Zack Snyder is one luck SOB. All praise the GOAT
-99tc8nNaxeSs0jH2veNrKtMrlkFS-wYqYK76VxWqQXKun09GDyma3JryvHzqG8oCdbodRZLZJAkupZfW7gH8PcCyVjW5wiFo1DRXfoAj2iz6VCSk_rvedxYpBhJ52Ptsduqdvjr9mwG8QwGMOsv-gmh
Your points are accurate but you conveniently left out the movie that started it all for him: 300.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is one of the more inanely disingenuous and dishonest topics I've seen.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
So you leave out Dawn of the Dead and 300, his two successful movies to point out Watchmen wasn't as a starting point. People are weird in their hate of things.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Even with his films underperforming, I believe they still made bank. They didn't do avengers movies but BvS and justice league had a box office pull of 1.2 or 1.3 billion dollars put together. That's a lot of fucking money.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
People used to say the same about the Wachowskis. Maybe it's a WB thing.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This isn't a thread about him being lucky, this is just OP looking to shit on Zach Snyder.

It's not even honest. Man of Steel was absolutely successful and 300 was massive.

Yeah, this is one of the more inanely disingenuous and dishonest topics I've seen.

Most blatant as well.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He probably doesn't go over budget, complies with deadlines and listens to advice from the top. That alone will give you lots of leverage when handling big movies.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what is meant when it is said it is very hard to understand on this board who's speaking in good faith and who isn't. It's tiring.

I'm not casting aspersions at the OP, but honestly can't tell if it's satire. That's on me, and only me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't even like his style or films and I'm not terribly confident that he's underperformed in turning a profit outside of maybe Sucker Punch. Below projections maybe, but not below a profit margin.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is what is meant when it is said it is very hard to understand on this board who's speaking in good faith and who isn't. It's tiring.

I'm not casting aspersions at the OP, but honestly can't tell if it's satire. That's on me, and only me.

Lol that's definitely not on you. I think Snyder is a lousy director but what a dumb thread.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
It underperformed to the expectations of the studio.
comicbook.com

Man Of Steel Box Office Predicted To Exceed $1.34 Billion

How confident is Warner Bros. feeling about Man Of Steel? With online tickets sales outpacing any [...]
The actual Variety article frames that a bit differently...

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio's highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, "The Dark Knight," "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

In what world does this dude think a Superman reboot would break 1.3 billion???? Avengers and the Dark Knight/Rises were the only 3 to break that mold until then and Superman is not Batman.

Man of Steel pulled in 668 mil which I would consider just fine as Batman Begins only pulled in 374.

Oct 27, 2017
why do people keep saying because he's white? aren't there a lot of white guys? why not those white guys?

(I don't know if I'm serious or not)

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Say what you will about underperforming, but the movies still made money and lots of it. Making movies is hard and a lot goes into them, and he's arguably made some great movies. I hated BvS and JL but really liked Man of Steel despite some of it's flaws. Also really liked Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and 300.

He's a good director but his job is tough and it's not all on him, he wasn't the primary screenwriter or story guy, and even if he was credited as such the story went through so many iterations and other writers before reaching the screen. Lots of people work on a project of this scale so to put all the blame squarely on him is just not right. Does he share in the blame? Sure, just he is not 100% the reason things went bad and it baffles me so many people think so

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Dawn of the dead is awesome, his dceu sputtered but yeh i guess he's the director equivalent to guy fierI, sure he can act a douche but hes passionate enough about his work even though it ain't for everyone, meanwhile theres legit rapists and shit directing still so yeh......

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Zack is a pretty cool guy,

Working through his learning disabilities to becoming such a high profile director.

Persevering though personal tragedy to conitue to make films and work on projects that he loves

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Your points are accurate but you conveniently left out the movie that started it all for him: 300.
His points aren't really accurate though.

Sucker Punch had a smaller budget
MoS did alright. Much better than Returns, but not a massive hit.
Part of the reason why he got Supes was Nolan. WB wanted another creative head for it , since Nolan declined, Synder was the next choice.
Its ignoring all his personal issues and alongside him being an efficient director. Remember all the issues the new SWs had with directors.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for director's being able to show their artistic vision with no compromises. Something you don't see often in today's Hollywood.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at any Hollywood story about a pitch meeting ( Back to the Future,Matrix, Titanic, etc) you basically learn that executives have no idea what will be a hit. So once a director strikes gold ( 300 for Zack) its easier for them to give him a blank check on the off chance that he strikes gold again versus jumping back into the unknown.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
He's clearly a talented stylist but just needs better scripts. If you can produce some of the imagery from his movies you're more than "lucky."

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like what he did with Watchmen actually. i don't really care if it underperforms or some crap like that.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure the merchandising push alone from those movies (except Sucker Punch) probably more then made up for any "underperformance" at the box office.,

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
300 and Dawn of the Dead were both hits, Man of Steel was also a hit. Part of it is hes seen as a genre director too. "we need a guy who does geek movies... hey hes made some big ones in past, get him"

Status
Not open for further replies.