• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Maybe I'm not all that traumatized by this news to the level of everyone else as I've met like a hundred voice actors in person.

They're human beings with flaws just like the rest of us and some of them wind up turning out to be trash. Separate their work and the characters they performed from who they happen to be in real life and treat them accordingly.

Save your hero worship for actual heroes. Or people you know directly who inspire you like a teacher or a family member. Or at least save it for a celebrity who has a track record to back up your admiration beyond playing a fictional character you grew attached to. (And this goes for celebrities in all walks of life... be they musicians, wrestlers, social media superstars or whatever.)

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
God fucking dammit!

I express hating the sentiment finding out that this celebrity you looked up to for years turned out to be a piece of shit!

Darkwing Duck, Pooh and SatAM Robotnik. The list goes on. I'll never hear those voices the same way again!

Disney should seriously do an investigation there!

Edit: And he's right wing too?! WTF?!

It's crazy when you look at all the characters he's voiced.
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Jim-Cummings/

Really horrible to hear about this, what a piece of crap.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm not all that traumatized by this news to the level of everyone else as I've met like a hundred voice actors in person.

They're human beings with flaws just like the rest of us and some of them wind up turning out to be trash. Separate their work and the characters they performed from who they happen to be in real life and treat them accordingly.

Save your hero worship for actual heroes. Or people you know directly who inspire you like a teacher or a family member. Or at least save it for a celebrity who has a track record to back up your admiration beyond playing a fictional character you grew attached to. (And this goes for celebrities in all walks of life... be they musicians, wrestlers, social media superstars or whatever.)

I'm not sure who you're addressing.

Nobody here is "traumatized" about the news. Threads about famous people revealing their horrible beliefs (like J.K. Rowling outing herself as a TERF) have shown up here since the forum's creation. And everyone deals with it like they deal with bad news in general. As TheDinoman said earlier in this thread, "another one bites the dust".

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
He's also a mainstay in Bethesda games, especially the Elder Scrolls series. If he's guilty of all of this, I bet he'll be replaced in future games from BGS.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
No, not Winnie the Pooh... 😞

All of my childhood heroes are proving themselves horrible human beings. Peter Cullen, please be a real Prime!

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada

There are no heroes. At least not in the way you're thinking of. You can dig up skeletons on literally everyone on this planet. Just depends on how long ago they did it and how good a job they do of hiding it. No one is a pure individual and you're incredibly naive if you think so.

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
Disney folks will defend his actions either way. They bend over backwards to defend Walt's union busting ways. Perhaps I'll be wrong though..

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The character of pooh has always been a source of comfort to me since I was very young, many of my earliest memories of who I am and of my mother are connected to this character.

I normally dont feel sad about this kind of news (other than for the victims), but this time I feel personally afflicted and it sucks.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are no heroes. At least not in the way you're thinking of. You can dig up skeletons on literally everyone on this planet. Just depends on how long ago they did it and how good a job they do of hiding it. No one is a pure individual and you're incredibly naive if you think so.
Hero does not mean purity. You're conflating celeb worship with actual heroes?

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Man... and I thought I was cynical.

I mean it's realistic though. There is no such thing as a perfect person and there never will be. For example, a local firefighter here died in the field of duty after rescuing someone. Would you consider him a hero? Now I'll tell you he was very racist and anti immigrant and he posted about it on Facebook nearly every day. Is he still a hero in your eyes?

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hero does not mean purity. You're conflating celeb worship with actual heroes?

I'm just telling him that his 'believe in true heroes' line makes no sense because it's entirely subjective. See my example above. I would think most people would say giving your life for another is the ultimate heroic sacrifice. However it gets much more complicated once you see what the real person was like behind the facade.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The character of pooh has always been a source of comfort to me since I was very young, many of my earliest memories of who I am and of my mother are connected to this character.

I normally dont feel sad about this kind of news (other than for the victims), but this time I feel personally afflicted and it sucks.
Like I said earlier, don't let Cummings being a shitty person effect your good memories with your mom. I'm in much the same place you are in that regard. But Pooh, like any fictional creation, is more than his creators or actors or artists. Holding those memories dear still doesn't make you a bad person or unsupportive of the victims. Just maybe reconsider buying Christopher Robin if you were, or something, you know?

That's just my thoughts anyway.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Any loss we feel about memories of the character of Pooh is nothing compared to what his wife evidently went through.

Does suck though, but Pooh's voice is exaggurated enough that finding a sound-alike should be easy.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Any loss we feel about memories of the character of Pooh is nothing compared to what his wife evidently went through.

Does suck though, but Pooh's voice is exaggurated enough that finding a sound-alike should be easy.
Mmhm, mmhm, that's definitely true. She's the victim in all this, of course.

There was someone posted earlier who I think legit did a good job for Pooh, he might work.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said earlier, don't let Cummings being a shitty person effect your good memories with your mom. I'm in much the same place you are in that regard. But Pooh, like any fictional creation, is more than his creators or actors or artists. Holding those memories dear still doesn't make you a bad person or unsupportive of the victims. Just maybe reconsider buying Christopher Robin if you were, or something, you know?

That's just my thoughts anyway.

Well yes the actor is not the character. The character isn't ruined and "my childhood" isnt "ruined" either by this news, but knowing the voice for the character is such a rotten person gives me this dirty feeling that makes me sad about it.

Ill be over it by tomorrow :) and pete will still be my favorite disney villain lol

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK! Now what that guy said in the Vic thread isn't so out of nowhere, I was afraid of that. :(

If Disney decide to recast him (a tall order considering he's done like hundreds of roles with them, jeez), here's one for Pooh that I actually saw on twitter the other day. This guy is spot on, like holy shit!

Oct 26, 2017
Disney probably has 20 people on call who can do the Winnie the Pooh voice.

Wouldn't surprise me. They may have young back-ups for folks like Pete, Tigger, Darkwing Duck, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already trying to get successors in mind since Jim is already 66 years old. Supposedly Bret Iwan was already training to be Mickey when Wayne Allwine was still alive. I swear I read this fairly recently, so it wasn't them just picking a random guy.

Speaking of, it's just nearly 10 years since Wayne died on May 18th 2009. :'(

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the Vic Mignona thread, another voice actor who's been a sex pest. At the time it seemed, to me, like the poster was trying to deflect from the horrible stuff Vic did but maybe they really were lowkey trying to say something bad was going on in ADDITION...

Yo. To be clear, I didn't know he was THIS bad. I knew he could be an asshole, as I'd personally had a bad experience with him, and he blew off an early morning panel with a room full of people while the staff at least said they couldn't reach him (old man has to miss an early panel, it's not unreasonable). Either way, I followed his Twitter for a little while, but I eventually noticed some of his tweets got... kind of creepy. There was one in particular about a teenage girl up a ladder, or something of that nature. I admit, my memory's fuzzy, and part of the reason I tried to peace out of the thread is I didn't want to spend the rest of the night digging through his tweets looking for something that could very well have been deleted anyway. Didn't work. Thought it was messed up somebody gave him a pass for "old man politics", though...

Also, just to be clear, fuck Vic. I wasn't intending to sound like I was defending him or deflecting at the time.

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK! Now what that guy said in the Vic thread isn't so out of nowhere, I was afraid of that. :(

If Disney decide to recast him (a tall order considering he's done like hundreds of roles with them, jeez), here's one for Pooh that I actually saw on twitter the other day. This guy is spot on, like holy shit!

Well now Disney can hire this guy if they need a replacement.

NEVERMIND! This guy should be hired ASAP! o_O

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just telling him that his 'believe in true heroes' line makes no sense because it's entirely subjective. See my example above. I would think most people would say giving your life for another is the ultimate heroic sacrifice. However it gets much more complicated once you see what the real person was like behind the facade.

One does not disolve the other though ?

If i was stuck in a burning building and i get rescued by a guy i would thank him for saving my life .

If afterward i learned that that man who rescued me is a Prick and racist i wouldn't go " gee, if i had known earlier i wish i'd burn to death then rather be saved by him "

No ,i would still thank that man for saving my life , racist prick or not .

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Didn't know he was Hondo

Dammit. Now we gotta recast one of my favorite Star Wars characters

He must answer for what he did not matter how happy he made fans

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Victim blaming. History of similar infractions.
Something about this doesn't make sense to me. If he raped her in 2013, then why in the hell would she have him in her home in Utah in 2015. And why no reports of abuse during the marriage. Usually these cases of abuse have a long history that started during the marriage.

I don't know, but it's not good. I guess Disney will have to find a new voice actor for Winnie the Pooh.

Oct 26, 2017
Something about this doesn't make sense to me. If he raped her in 2013, then why in the hell would she have him in her home in Utah in 2015. And why no reports of abuse during the marriage. Usually these cases of abuse have a long history that started during the marriage.

I don't know, but it's not good. I guess Disney will have to find a new voice actor for Winnie the Pooh.
They have a daughter together and were married. Also this sounds very close to victim blaming.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Don't go down this road.

Most people don't report abuse until they've come to accept it. A prime pillar of abuse is to convince the victim they deserve it, or that it wasn't actually absuse. Hence in the real world it takes some people years to accept it happened to them, even more when married and they had a child.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread certainly is something. Just the actions mentioned in the title are disgusting enough, but then seeing all his Twitter garbage somehow manages to make it even worse. I don't really have much personal connection with most of his work outside of Minsc in Baldur's Gate, but he was also in practically everything in the 80s and 90s.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

I wanted to post this guy as an idea for replacing but I wasn't sure it was in good taste 👀

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
One does not disolve the other though ?

If i was stuck in a burning building and i get rescued by a guy i would thank him for saving my life .

If afterward i learned that that man who rescued me is a Prick and racist i wouldn't go " gee, if i had known earlier i wish i'd burn to death then rather be saved by him "

No ,i would still thank that man for saving my life , racist prick or not .

There's a ton of people on this site who wouldn't agree with you at all. I'm not saying either viewpoint is right or wrong, just that it's all subjective. There are no 'Real' heroes when everyone looks at everyone else differently.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying "I hope this isn't true" on the front page. Did people even read the disgustingly detailed accounts in the linked article?...

This is going to devastate my girlfriend.