• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like she's just being a normal person to some extent. Take that how you will.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being friends with someone that actually tries to curtail and take away your rights. Gotta be a pretty big dummy.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
To be fair they are not just white ... they are RICH WHITE who are prioritizing their RICH WHITENESS over any of their other identities

You can even drop the racial component tbh, there plenty of rich POC in her comments or sharing this with a " Love for all" nonsense. Whatever race you are it seems once you reach a certain level of $$$ and fame suddenly things ... change

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I have friends that are war criminals."

White people will almost always prioritize whiteness over any of their other identities.

This is way more of class issue than a race one. Michelle Obama has said pretty much the same shit about W. For the rich and powerful personal politics is an empty cultural signifier that isn't that different from having different taste in music. They'll laugh and say "It's just a difference of opinion" and go golfing with each other.

The rich have class consciousness, and will always support each other over anyone else.

NightHawk

Dec 6, 2018

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to condemn anyone for things like this. This thread goes on about privilege and there is privilege with these actors. There is also privilege with us here on the internet able to call people pieces of shit with pretty much no repercussions. Ellen shows up to an event, GWB is there and he probably cracks a few jokes and makes her laugh. They talk about things, maybe Bush says something about the bad he has done and is reflective and remorseful.

I am willing to bet that if most of you who were invited into Jerry's world and saw GWB there, you wouldn't make a scene and say you are leaving because Bush is there.

People like Ellen operate where they actually have to interact with individuals like these. We have the luxury of saying shit and never getting a response. I think people need to be mindful of that before people start condemning people like Ellen.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Nah, fuck being nice to war criminals who started two unnecessary wars and who also tanked our economy resulting in millions of people losing their jobs and livelihoods.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's all good I mean haven't we all been friends with top tier war criminals at one point or another? I mean what's millions of dead between friends. Just a bump in the road.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

The LGBT aspect of it makes it "worse"
for me. I personally don't expect anything less than people treating other people with respect like said here:

I am not going to condemn anyone for things like this. This thread goes on about privilege and there is privilege with these actors. There is also privilege with us here on the internet able to call people pieces of shit with pretty much no repercussions. Ellen shows up to an event, GWB is there and he probably cracks a few jokes and makes her laugh. They talk about things, maybe Bush says something about the bad he has done and is reflective and remorseful.

I am willing to bet that if most of you who were invited into Jerry's world and saw GWB there, you wouldn't make a scene and say you are leaving because Bush is there.

People like Ellen operate where they actually have to interact with individuals like these. We have the luxury of saying shit and never getting a response. I think people need to be mindful of that before people start condemning people like Ellen.

But I don't need a lecture about it as if shes reached some higher plane of understanding that we would be animals for not aspiring to , miss me with that. It's all about the $$ in the end

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Shouldn't your friend Bush be the one to make the example by "being nice to everyone"? Or do you just expect less from him with his privilage and power compared to the citizens who had to live through the consequences of his own lack of kindness and empathy?

Aren't the Obamas friends with them? Why go all out on Ellen.
Well #1 - The Obama's also shouldn't be friends with him. It is in fact bad that they are "friends" with him.
#2 - Ellen, unlike the Obama's at least to my knowledge, is directly addressing her audience and greater US citizens and telling us that it's our responsibility to have a heart of forgiveness and empathy for Bush, an expectation she seemingly doesn't have for the man himself. There are many people who can't afford to hide themselves from the consequences of the man's presidency, so those who've seen or experienced the fallout of it shouldn't be expected to feel the specific way about him that Ellen does.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Ellen is worth almost half a billion dollars dude. It's okay to criticize her.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Lets also bring up how Obama was responsible for 100s of civilian casualties due to drone strikes and deported/ separated more people than any other president before him but we never throw a fit when he comingles with our favorite celebrities.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Lets also bring up how Obama was responsible for 100 of civilian casualties due drone strikes and deported/ separated more people than any other president before him but we never throw a fit when comingles with our favorite celebrities.
people have and do bring that up, there are threads about it

this is about Ellen making excuses for hanging out with a war criminal

yet you chucklefucks come in here saying "B-B-B-B-BUT OBAMA"

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Lets also bring up how Obama was responsible for 100s of civilian casualties due drone strikes and deported/ separated more people than any other president before him but we never throw a fit when comingles with our favorite celebrities.

Make your own fucking thread then.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
people have and do bring that up, there are threads about it

this is about Ellen making excuses for hanging out with a war criminal

yet you chucklefucks come in here saying "B-B-B-B-BUT OBAMA"
So its okay for others to hang out with obama despite his history ? Is that what you mean? We bring up obama because he was also a president

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Then maybe he should be publicly remorseful rather than privately if he is supposedly regretful of the harm he's caused as president. PS. The internet isn't some separate dimension. There are people who use the internet now who have also had to endure either fighting in or losing a loved one to the war perpetuated by Bush. That's not something that's gonna be wiped away just because Ellen tells them to be nice to the man.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

The complication here is that people like Ellen don't just stumble drunkenly into celebrity. She didn't just wake up one morning and find herself bound to doing a talk show. The fact that she's in this sort of position at all isn't something out of her control. She became famous because she chose to be famous and she remains famous because she chose to remain famous.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
So its okay for others to hang out with obama despite his history ? Is that what you mean? We bring up obama because he was also a president
If someone wants to make a thread about it I wouldn't see any issue with the thread

i wouldn't go into the thread saying "yeah but what about Bush, huh?"

whataboutism is shit

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018

I mean Ellen has literally had Bush on her show. She had the power then and decided to invite and befriend him. So no she didn't get trapped having to pretend to be nice to him.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Then maybe he should be publicly remorseful rather than privately if he is supposedly regretful of the harm he's caused as president. PS. The internet isn't some seperate dimension. There are people who use the internet who have also had to endure either fighting in or losing a loved one to the war perpetuated by Bush. That's not somehting that's gonna be wiped away just because Ellen tells them to be nice to the man.

I don't disagree, but I just don't think getting all mad at Ellen for a social interaction that we will never have to deal with is really earned. I just don't see the most people calling for Ellen and wanting to boycott her would say shit to GWB face and make a scene in the box.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i'm buckling at the power coursing through my fingertips damn

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
If someone wants to make a thread about it I wouldn't see any issue with the thread

i wouldn't go into the thread saying "yeah but what about Bush, huh?"

whataboutism is shit
Its fair to make a judgment on character based on previous instances that are of similar circumstances. Thats what courts do to make a judgment and this shouldnt be any different and swept under the rug of whataboutism. Its fair to call out double standards

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Its fair to make a judgment on character based on previous instances that are of similar circumstances. Thats what courts do to make a judgment and this shouldnt be any different and swept under the rug of whataboutism. Its fair to call out double standards
there wasn't any double standards being called out

it was literally "but the obamas too"

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I don't disagree, but I just don't think getting all mad at Ellen for a social interaction that we will never have to deal with is really earned. I just don't see the most people calling for Ellen and wanting to boycott her would say shit to GWB face and make a scene in the box.
The issue really isn't just with sitting down with him though, at least to me personally. If someone wants to spit in his face or shake his hand, that's their own prerogative. The problem using a massive platform of millions of viewers to try and convince people that Bush is someone he isn't, or at the least, hasn't shown himself to be. If Bush (and Ellen in turn) wants to be respected then he's the one who needs to put forth the effort to be better and not regular citizens.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who would deny the opportunity to shoot the shit with a former world leader would be a fool.

If you get criticism for your public interactions with this person and your response is a condescending truism about being kind is a pretty shitty response to what is already understood to be a more complicated interaction than a bunch of pals at a ballgame. Working in a product plug is showing active disdain for your audience. Either Ellen is a moron, which I don't believe she is, or she thinks you are.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Class loyalty trumps anything, including LGBT rights, for rich liberals. I don't know how many times people have to be slapped in the face with this. Ellen sucks for sure but the problem goes deeper than that.

Many of us aren't ok with this either, it's loathsome.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't @ her on the war crimes, she's a gay icon chummy with one of the most restrictive anti-lgbt leaders in history. WTF.