• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
DoyJAohV4AATOLw.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is Trump really the only litmus test...
I've honestly been thinking for a while that it's going to be kind of fucked up when Trump is gone, because you're going to have to deal with all of the people who have spent the last couple years treating their opinions on Trump as the only thing necessary to define whether they're good or evil. Suddenly they're going to end up finding that even though they were anti-Trump people will still criticize all their horrible stances and they won't know what to do.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly been thinking for a while that it's going to be kind of fucked up when Trump is gone, because you're going to have to deal with all of the people who have spent the last couple years treating their opinions on Trump as the only thing necessary to define whether they're good or evil. Suddenly they're going to end up finding that even though they were anti-Trump people will still criticize all their horrible stances and they won't know what to do.

Trump's a symptom, even when he's gone the people who betrayed our country to enable him will still be in positions of power / too afraid of their electrate.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's nothing more fucking annoying than #ResistanceDems who think Trump is the sole cause of fascist Republican policy.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
You don't think the torture of prisoners of war at Guantanamo and black site military bases qualifies? Or bombing school children? You have a very narrow definition of war crime.

You make a good point. Torture (waterboarding) is indeed a war crime. Indefinite detention at Guantanamo is also a crime (kidnapping at the very least).

Bombing school children is trickier. I know they used weaselly words to make brown teenagers casualties as a result of drone strikes acceptable (what did they call them again? Militants or something?) so it might also be a war crime but that case is a bit harder to make.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's a symptom, even when he's gone the people who betrayed our country to enable him will still be in positions of power / too afraid of their electrate.
Absolutely. But I still think that the moment he's gone you're going to hear "finally, that's out of the way, now America can go back to being not racist like it used to be".

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
They're both part of the elite, they get along because their actions don't affect each others lifes one single bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Few things sum up why I no longer and never will again identify as a liberal like the rehabilitation of GWB's public image. so much of contemporary liberalism has come to substitute aesthetics for any moral vision of what a better world would or should look like

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You make a good point. Torture (waterboarding) is indeed a war crime. Indefinite detention at Guantanamo is also a crime (kidnapping at the very least).

Bombing school children is trickier. I know they used weaselly words to make brown casualties as a result of drone strikes acceptable so it might also be a war crime but that case is harder to make.
All they did was classify any males age 15-35 in a drone area as combatants regardless of the evidence otherwise. Given that underfunded journalists have been able to identify the victims of these strikes and show that in many cases these drone strikes only killed civilians, Idon't think the US military's excuse really works here. Additionally, there were many drone strikes which targeted hospitals, or blew up schools or school buses. I'm not sure how those things could be anything BUT a war crime, not to mention violating the sovereignty of other nations by flying drones within their borders and killing people within their borders.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Few things sum up why I no longer and never will again identify as a liberal like the rehabilitation of GWB's public image. so much of contemporary liberalism has come to substitute aesthetics for any moral vision of what a better world would or should look like

GWB is good now because he paints dogs, gives out candies, and Trump is bad.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
To be fair to Bush, he was a dumbass. He was just a puppet. Most of the evil stuff that was done during his presidency was done by his Vice President Dick Cheney.
I think you might be interpreting lack of care as lack of agency.

It's a lot like how Trump doesn't give a shit about what happens to healthcare policy. He's not like Paul Ryan dreaming about creating a society based on Ayn Rand books while doing keggers in college. If the people he surrounded himself with went with Bernie's plan, Trump would back it just the same.

But that doesn't mean Trump deserves credit for actually being quite progressive on healthcare but too stupid to enact it. He deserves blame for being a selfish asshole who surrounds himself with bad people based solely on loyalty and not giving a shit if those people come with terrible healthycare policy.

Bush was just as bad as Trump in his cronyism and that's where most of his failures come from too. It has nothing to do with manipulation.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm confused as to what ellen was supposed to do in that situation? She was invited to a game in a place where she was sat next to gwb. Like... what shes supposed to leave just cuz he's there? She's never been the type of person to do anything like that or worse, for better or worse. So did people already not like her or are just realizing who she is after not paying attention?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Eat the rich.

I don't care if there's now someone worse than Dubya. Fuck him. And fuck you for trying to humanize this asshole.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
GWB is good now because he paints dogs, gives out candies, and Trump is bad.

yup, it's an aesthetic of power that isn't viscerally repellent on a surface level the way Trump is, and that's enough for some people.

some of the people who excuse this shit are amoral centrists who are ideologically comfortable with the pre-Trump GOP, but a lot of the folks who will do so are basically the "if Hillary had won, we'd be at brunch right now" liberals. The main thing they want out of politics is not to effect change, but to have people in positions of power that they can feel good about in some nebulous way, so as to give them tacit permission not to care about those pesky details anymore.

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
The rehabilitation of Bush makes me literally sick to my stomach every time I think about it. Trump WISHES he could fuck the world up HALF as bad as Bush did.

Worst president in American history. Worst war criminal of the 21st Century BY FAR.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'm confused as to what ellen was supposed to do in that situation? She was invited to a game in a place where she was sat next to gwb. Like... what shes supposed to leave just cuz he's there? She's never been the type of person to do anything like that or worse, for better or worse. So did people already not like her or are just realizing who she is after not paying attention?

I think it was the part where she went on TV and defended him as her friend that has people's stomach's turning because this guy has more bodies on him than an Ebola outbreak.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should have been angry and scowling the whole time and thrown a fit before making an era post about it

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fuck normalizing/accepting this type of behavior. It's been gross watching his image softened over the years.

But coming from somebody who shielded Kevin Hart.. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Be kind to the guy who knew of the looming concerns of 9/11 and got us in a forever war? No thanks.

I'm absolutely not a fan as to the fact just because we got neonationalism in the latter part of this decade, that we've suddenly become allied with the enemies of decency in the last three or four decades. David Frum, Bill Kristol, and Jennifer Rubin are frequently seen as "reasonable" in news, yet they were the unreasonable ones just a decade ago. This normalization of indecency is part of the whole problem. We've now commodified the problems to another group of people, yet it's from Bush that we get to Trump, though to be fair it starts at Reagan or Nixon.

Never forget the enemy of decency when a new threat approaches, friends. Even if we "beat" the current problems, out come these dweebs with the anchors to any substantial, meaningful progress all over again.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She can be friends with whoever the hell she wants. I don't really give a crap about that or care to judge her for it.

I don't agree with the "be kind to everyone" line though. Some people have to earn it if their actions beforehand are sketch as fuck. Like, I wouldn't be nice to someone I knew who was a KKK member, for example.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Would've been a much better response than going on live TV and pulling out the "let's not be mean to people we disagree with" card.
People said this while Bush was in office too, while hundreds of thousands of Iraqis were slaughtered in extreme sectarian violence after we dismantled their entire country and left it in literal state anarchy.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

As I often say here, I'm very interested in the reactions when Kissinger finally dies. He is the gold standard of that realpolitik insanity and psychopathic pragmatism that somehow gets both neocons and Democrats all weak in the knees.

See also: Scalia Bush Sr, McCain, and even St Reagan himself. Better times and the good ol days.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
This is why I don't want white people as icons for the oppressed. They come from privileged backgrounds and don't understand the plight of the oppressed.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someday, all the shitty hangwringers will realize their "but what about Obama" argument in every Bush thread first and foremost helps whitewash Bush, a lot more than it helps hold Obama accountable.
Or they already know.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
This tired schtick is what makes her so popular, similar to how most popular news media tries to "both sides" every political issue. The only people this kind of garbage benefits are people on the right, centrists, and "apolitical" types that try to bury their heads in the sand and pretend things don't actually affect them.

Yes, people could stand to be "kinder" in general, but not everyone is deserving of kindness and kindness sure as shit won't help solve the important issues going on in the world right now.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck people like Ellen. Influential supposed "liberals" like her are why it's always going to be an uphill battle to keep this country from being controlled by shitty conservatives.

It's tough enough dealing with the GOP. We don't need fake ass progressives who just love to rehabilitate conservative shitheads and convince people they're all just nice people, just with different opinions.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The issue isn't that he was anti-lgbt when a large portion of the country was. The issue is he lied to get us into a farcical war that killed thousands upon thousands and left the region even worse than it was. Christ.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Ellen's vapid program will never interview anyone harmed by the Bush administration so it's no sweat off her brow.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting beside somebody and talking to them is the same as supporting them now ? imagine if she got a picture taken with him ? that means she hates Iraq !

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
She can be friends with whoever the hell she wants. I don't really give a crap about that or care to judge her for it.

I don't agree with the "be kind to everyone" line though. Some people have to earn it if their actions beforehand are sketch as fuck. Like, I wouldn't be nice to someone I knew who was a KKK member, for example.

She has a huge audience that will now brush off Bush like he is a decent guy when he is not. It is irresponsible for someone on her position.