• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
When it was revealed last night that Gambit has been pushed back from February 14th, 2019, to June 7th, 2019, most of us assumed that it was because the Marvel movie had lost its third director in the form of Gore Verbinski. Well, while that's no doubt played a role in this delay, The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that the decision actually boiled down to the movie's tone.

Well, while Gambit is going to revolve around a heist, the trade notes that it will have "a heavily comedic tone" and the studio believes that it will play better to audiences in the summer.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...mer-2019-for-a-very-unexpected-reason-a156965

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They're trying to make another Deadpool with one of the more flat characters out there. Good luck

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah with Chan Tates as Gambit it as to be heavily comedic....

Or unreleased which is my guess

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, all the troubled-development blockbusters are all comedies about heists lately. Ant-Man, Solo, Gambit.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Preview.
2418930_orig.png

Oct 28, 2017
They're trying to make another Deadpool with one of the more flat characters out there. Good luck

On the other hand, this is a movie and these characters need only be templates. Tatum can give Gambit whatever template he wants, and he does Southern characters very well. I expect this movie to be very good and so should everyone else. Tatum is good at his craft and this is right in his wheelhouse. That comic writers haven't made Gambit work is entirely irrelevant - comic writers aren't creating this.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep delaying it for like 30 years but keep channing tatum attached to star

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Disney forcing everything to have that "MCU Wit". First jokes in Star Wars, now jokes in X-Men. Wouldn't surprise me if they're just going to dub jokes over existing dialog at this point.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, this is a movie and these characters need only be templates. Tatum can give Gambit whatever template he wants, and he does Southern characters very well. I expect this movie to be very good and so should everyone else. Tatum is good at his craft and this is right in his wheelhouse. That comic writers haven't made Gambit work is entirely irrelevant - comic writers aren't creating this.

Deadpool had a lot to draw from to make that movie as good as it did and had Reynolds pushing the project as hard as possible to do it right including keeping the script writers around. This has... Channing Tatum and one of the lamer Marvel characters whose know for his drawl and throwing cards that blow up.

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell?

"Heavily comedic tone" is not what you associate with Gambit

A proper Gambit movie would be Gambit getting scammed by some gangsters or something, and he has to find them, and its a pseudo-detective movie. In his pursuit of the gangsters, he stumbles upon some super power related thing and it goes from there.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
They're delaying this movie long enough so that Disney can formally cancel it once they get control

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Since comic book movies are now moving into every genre, they should've maybe made this one a drama/romance one.

Anyway Gambit is the best and it sucks that his movie is probably gonna suck

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
It got delayed because Disney. New Mutants, Phoenix, and Deadpool 2 were in the bag, this one has to suffer from the hands of Disney. The first to be offered.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Please, just stop. No one other than 12 Gambit fans actually wants this movie.
Based on comic fan comments he's really a love it or hate it kind of character with very little middle ground.
I don't know, a comedic Gambit movie sounds pretty good to me. Can't say I adore the guy but I always thought he was an interesting X-character.

Oct 28, 2017
Deadpool had a lot to draw from to make that movie as good as it did and had Reynolds pushing the project as hard as possible to do it right including keeping the script writers around. This has... Channing Tatum and one of the lamer Marvel characters whose know for his drawl and throwing cards that blow up.

True. And yet for anyone who grew up on 90's cartoons, Gambit is super cool as he was one of the more interesting characters in the Saturday morning X-Men TV show. He's far more popular than Deadpool ever was, despite his lack of success in the comics. Deadpool needed a push because no one who didn't know comics even had a clue who he was. People know who Gambit is and they like him already.

Oct 27, 2017
Please, just stop. No one other than 12 Gambit fans actually wants this movie.

151582.jpg

Gambit is my second favorite X-men, below Cyclops.

His best possible movie would be Blade Runner with super powers, which unfortunately isn't something that sells. He's a difficult character to make a movie for, because he appeals to something not a lot of people actually like, which is why he doesn't have so many fans.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I can think they maintain this farce is because some bonuses are on the line

platakul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gambit is my second favorite X-men, below Cyclops.

His best possible movie would be Blade Runner with super powers, which unfortunately isn't something that sells. He's a difficult character to make a movie for, because he appeals to something not a lot of people actually like, which is why he doesn't have so many fans.

I like Gambit and all, but I don't think he dwells too much on the nature of his own humanity

Inkblots

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I liked Gambit as a kid because he has the easiest power to mimic outside of grabbing three pencils and pretending you're Wolverine. And because he banged Rogue.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, good luck with that.