• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean if you are that easily inspired.

2110050-743472_magneto_3.jpg
Always hated this relationship

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
"It not you, it Gambit."

Man, really wonder if this will ever come out. I just wanted to see where they wanted to go with this. I like the character because my knowledge of the X-Men growing up came from the 90s animated series.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First they're forcing in even more horror into New Mutants than it already had, now they're forcing more humor into Gambit. Lol.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So is there going to be a grace period between these movies and the inevitable MCU X-Men movies? It's amazing Fox is deadset on making this happen.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there going to be a grace period between these movies and the inevitable MCU X-Men movies? It's amazing Fox is deadset on making this happen.
If the sale closes by the end of the year, the only things releasing in 2019 that are current FOX Marvel projects are those already in the can. Like, New Mutants will definitely release.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted this movie at first, but you can just go ahead and cancel it now.

GuileBootCamp

Oct 27, 2017
True. And yet for anyone who grew up on 90's cartoons, Gambit is super cool as he was one of the more interesting characters in the Saturday morning X-Men TV show. He's far more popular than Deadpool ever was, despite his lack of success in the comics. Deadpool needed a push because no one who didn't know comics even had a clue who he was. People know who Gambit is and they like him already.

This.

Although Gambit has had success in the comics in the past. His solos have generally sold above Marvel's expectations, and his 2012 solo got extended by 5 issues (from 12 to 17) in a time where it's uncommon for a series to go past 12 issues, and that was when he was a complete non-entity in the main X-Men comics and movies. His comics fanbase has been put through the ringer hard in the past 15+ years. He's had a handful of high profile writers actively try to sabotage him and take pride in doing it, blasting him and his fanbase at conventions and whatnot, and writing him as embarrassingly as possible if he shows up at all in their comics. He's only had a significant showing in one good main X-Men arc since the mid-90s (Messiah Complex), but he still keeps getting solo series and minis anyway in spite of all this.

Gambit's got a lot more going for him, especially in terms of cross-media exposure, than a lot of characters that have ended up having successful movies.

And, if we're being honest, movies are what launch comics characters' popularity nowadays. The comics are of secondary importance at best. Comics fans, whether they like to admit it or not, aren't even the largest target audience for these movies.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, good luck with that.

Why on earth would you disagree? The comic fanbase literally doesn't matter at all. According to data I can find online, the best selling comic book of 2017 sold 300k. That's a tiny percentage of of the worldwide number of tickets that will be sold for even a minor comic book movie. Channing Tatum probably has more fans than that to whom he can sell a movie on name alone (since him being in it is going to certainly sell tickets to females who may not have otherwise seen the movie).

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So... Is the Disney acquisition going to affect anything regarding this movie? I mean, it's pretty clear at this point that it's heading nowhere and if actually gets released will be average at best.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would you disagree? The comic fanbase literally doesn't matter at all. According to data I can find online, the best selling comic book of 2017 sold 300k. That's a tiny percentage of of the worldwide number of tickets that will be sold for even a minor comic book movie. Channing Tatum probably has more fans than that to whom he can sell a movie on name alone (since him being in it is going to certainly sell tickets to females who may not have otherwise seen the movie).

This is one hell of a take, Channing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the unexpected reason was someone checked the calendar and realized this isn't the 90's anymore. I mean seriously, who even want this? Even in the X-men show he worked because it was an ensemble cast. His no-show after all the countless Xmen movies is gonna make it hard to get ppl excited for a guy who only 90's kids and CB readers even know of. Maybe get him in a new X-men film going and then work from there.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
He used to be very popular, but that was before Deadpool became the highest grossing rated R movie of all time.

Fixed that for you. Seriously, it's been since the 90's since I've even thought of Gambit, and I would have even agreed with you before the Deadpool movie came out... But the 90's were 20 years ago and most of the audience for comic book movies were either not born or toddlers at the time of Gambit's only real claim to fame.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You will get a Wild Dog movie before a Gambit one

Oct 28, 2017
Fixed that for you. Seriously, it's been since the 90's since I've even thought of Gambit, and I would have even agreed with you before the Deadpool movie came out... But the 90's were 20 years ago and most of the audience for comic book movies were either not born or toddlers at the time of Gambit's only real claim to fame.

You mean the 25-32 year old age range? Yeah not a big audience for comic movies there.

And if he appeals to that age range, he will appeal to others. In theory he's very likeable and has cool powers. The only reason anyone thinks this is a bad idea is that the comics are apparently not good. I can't see how that makes a difference.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Disney isn't interested in edgy gritty comic book movies but superhero movies with jokes is very much Marvel's M.O. I could see them not cancelling this movie just because of how well it fits.
I dunno, they're gonna wanna start using the X-Men in the MCU at some point. Maybe there's a stipulation where they have to wait # years after the last Fox movie to fold them in but I'd imagine they'll want to utilize them as soon as they feasibly can so I could see some straggler like Gambit that's been limping along for so long get axed. I don't think they'd want any kind of overlap of the Fox style X-Men and their own.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I dunno, they're gonna wanna start using the X-Men in the MCU at some point. Maybe there's a stipulation where they have to wait # years after the last Fox movie to fold them in but I'd imagine they'll want to utilize them as soon as they feasibly can so I could see some straggler like Gambit that's been limping along for so long get axed. I don't think they'd want any kind of overlap of the Fox style X-Men and their own.
I could see this for X-Men and Fantastic Four ensemble movies that could screw up the story or plans for MCU. Gambit is a solo film though, when Iron Man was a solo film we didn't see a bunch of crossovers so I don't see why Gambit is a problem.

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
When I think Gambit and tone, the show Justified comes to mind. Get the Justified team to write this movie! I'll take a tv series to explain all the origin-y stuff and then the movie as a follow up. Thanks.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I could see this for X-Men and Fantastic Four ensemble movies that could screw up the story or plans for MCU. Gambit is a solo film though, when Iron Man was a solo film we didn't see a bunch of crossovers so I don't see why Gambit is a problem.
It's not really comparable to Iron Man at all though, that was the start of the MCU. There was nothing else to crossover with. That's not the case anymore.

They could do it like Doctor Strange, and have it be mostly stand-alone, but that would also mean they'd be introducing mutants to the MCU starting with a Gambit solo movie. It could happen but I seriously doubt that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Channing is great, this is disappointing news.

Hope Deadpool turns up in his movie though

Xzeon

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait... Deadpool released in February tho and it did just fine? Comedies only work in the summer?

Deadpool 1 did just fine in February and it was a superhero comedy. I don't get this reasoning.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Wait... Deadpool released in February tho and it did just fine? Comedies only work in the summer?

Deadpool 1 did just fine in February and it was a superhero comedy. I don't get this reasoning.
It's just PR talk. Saying you're delaying a film for that kind of reason sounds better to general audiences than admitting there are internal issues (losing a third director on a project pretty much says as much.)

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Whatever they're doing in the screenplay, i think they they better address Remy's weird and exaggerated Cajun accent. Like maybe it was part of the Thieves Guild training or something. The accent would still be annoying but it wont be as much as before because now at least the viewers understands why.