• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch the X-Men cartoon and loved Gambit. I had no idea he was Buff Bagwell status until this thread.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could work, Channing Tatum has pretty good comedic timing.

Honestly though, this movie was not even on my radar when it was announced so this doesn't change one thing.

Will wait for it to be released on my local streaming service.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interchangeable sassy "comedic" characters and badly timed comedic bits to undercut anything dramatic?

Movies like that here and there doesn't mean it's the whole, Civil War wasnt like that, star war the last Jedi wasn't like that, Spiderman homecoming wasn't like that. Dispite what people think not everything is becoming guardians.

Even if they were doing that "with every movie" it's a poor definition of sanitized.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Movies like that here and there doesn't mean it's the whole, Civil War wasnt like that, star war the last Jedi wasn't like that, Spiderman homecoming wasn't like that. Dispite what people think not everything is becoming guardians.
I'd hardly say he was wrong though how many Disney action movies are above PG-13. Outside of deadpool maintaining his status because it wouldn't make too much sense otherwise santised is probably an accurate description.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Even if they were doing that "with every movie" it's a poor definition of sanitized.

That's fair enough, I think what I meant about sanitised is more that disney seems weirdly afraid to commit fully to drama without undercutting it with some humour for most of their films. Probably a bad term for it.

And also keeping it mostly family friendly.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hardly say he was wrong though how many Disney action movies are above PG-13. Outside of deadpool maintaining his status because it wouldn't make too much sense otherwise santised is probably an accurate description.

Eh, that's assuming Gambit was ever going to be R to begin with. Sure Disney makes a lot of PG-13 films but it still remains to be seen if they'll allow more R-rated comic movies under the fox brand. It's way too early to tell.

That's fair enough, I think what I meant about sanitised is more that disney seems weirdly afraid to commit fully to drama without undercutting it with some humour for most of their films. Probably a bad term for it.

And also keeping it mostly family friendly.

I mean, that's a factor in some of the marvel movies, but really I think it's just the gaurdians series, which arguably started the trend, and the new Thor movie, which is more of a Taika Waitit thing than a Disney thing. I just hear the critism a lot and it seems like an unfair one considering how few of their movies actually follow that format.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This.

Although Gambit has had success in the comics in the past. His solos have generally sold above Marvel's expectations, and his 2012 solo got extended by 5 issues (from 12 to 17) in a time where it's uncommon for a series to go past 12 issues, and that was when he was a complete non-entity in the main X-Men comics and movies. His comics fanbase has been put through the ringer hard in the past 15+ years. He's had a handful of high profile writers actively try to sabotage him and take pride in doing it, blasting him and his fanbase at conventions and whatnot, and writing him as embarrassingly as possible if he shows up at all in their comics. He's only had a significant showing in one good main X-Men arc since the mid-90s (Messiah Complex), but he still keeps getting solo series and minis anyway in spite of all this.

Gambit's got a lot more going for him, especially in terms of cross-media exposure, than a lot of characters that have ended up having successful movies.

And, if we're being honest, movies are what launch comics characters' popularity nowadays. The comics are of secondary importance at best. Comics fans, whether they like to admit it or not, aren't even the largest target audience for these movies.

Why people hate gambit so much? I mean one thing is that fans do it, but that writers actively try to sabotaje him is too far

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why people hate gambit so much? I mean one thing is that fans do it, but that writers actively try to sabotaje him is too far

Nah, definitely Gambit's fault, he even admits it.

tumblr_nuuf9dRs6z1rxz386o1_400.png

GuileBootCamp

Oct 27, 2017

There's no clear answer for it, but it usually comes across as them feeling like Gambit came after their time, and a weird jealousy that he's gotten spotlight over their favorite characters in the past.

There's this strange perception that Gambit's popularity is undeserved because of he got to be a in the X-Men cartoon instead of characters that had been around longer. Also, that he's only popular because of the cartoon, even though he was put into the cartoon because he was blowing up in the comics at the time and was part of the best selling comic in history to this day.

The ways they attack Gambit are pretty hypocritical, too.

His accent is no worse than, say, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue, or Banshee unless the writer is going out of their way to make it cartoonish. Somewhat cartoonish accents have been a part of X-Men since the 70s, and they've been toned down over the years, including Gambit's. Gambit's accent is as X-Men as time travel, alternate realities, and psychic projection body armor.

Then there is the accusation of him being a creeper and shallow womanizer, despite the only character he actually pursued being a near invincible superwoman that could kill him in seconds if he touched her, which he knew. Wolverine's weird behavior towards Jean Grey was fine, though. Also, Cyclops is no problem even though he abandoned his family when his previously dead girlfriend showed up suddenly, then he ended up cheating on that girlfriend later, anyway.

People also try to say that there are no good Gambit stories, which is true if you're only familiar with the main X-Men books post-1995 or so, but really, it just means they haven't read any actual Gambit stories. The best Gambit stuff isn't in big X-Men events. It's his solo stories or smaller scale X-Men issues in between the big events.

And Gambit doesn't have a story like God Loves Man Kills or Watchmen or The Killing Joke, but none if any of the solo X-Men stories are on that level. Very few superhero comics are. He's consistently fun in a way that evokes Danny Ocean, James Bond, Han Solo, or Indiana Jones at different times, so the idea that he can't carry a movie is ridiculous. He has plenty of solid character examination, too, usually rooted in his weird messed up upbringing vs. his instincts to do good and redeem himself, and the best Gambit stories (as Fabian Nicieza, the guy that is responsible for most of Gambit's core characterization and also created Deadpool, said) are ones that put Gambit in situations where there is no clear right answer for him, and he comes out even more compromised. There's some really good stuff with this in his 1999 solo series, which reading at least the first 10 issues of should be considered a prerequisite for knowing what the fuck you're talking about when it comes to Gambit.

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike Gambit as a character, but saying he's an inherently terrible character with no good stories that couldn't work as a movie lead is just a mountain of bullshit.

But a lot of people want to see his movie and his character fail, again, often due to this weird jealousy and hypocrisy thing, even though Gambit's success wouldn't do a damn thing to hurt their favorite's opportunities. So they will say and do whatever reductive bullshit they can to draw attention to and exaggerate the character's perceived irredeemable flaws and dated qualities that couldn't easily be changed by a new writer like they have for many other characters. Batman is still the same character as he was in the Adam West show, isn't he? And he didn't get his best, character-defining stories until around 40 years after his creation, right?

At the end of the day, if a Gambit movie gets made, it's going to come down to the trailers and the Rotten Tomatoes score whether or not people see it. And if a Gambit movie succeeds, that's not going to hurt anything at all. The absolute worst thing would be that Tatum surprises everyone and gives us a kickass Gambit and is then immediately recast in an MCU X-Men reboot, but even that is fine. A movie can stand on its own. Not everything needs to be part of a series or cinematic universe.

tl;dr - It not Gambit, it you.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to shock everyone here but did you know when creating a new thread, you do not actually have to copy the headline? Did you know you can deliver the punchline right in the title? Crazy, right?

Thank you for recognizing this and working to make ResetEra a better place that doesn't try to induce clicks for no reason.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Gambit was a mess of corny tropes from day one and didn't grow from that. Look at the long list of x-men and are any in the same place they been in since creation? Gambit is that dude that peaked in High school and now works as a shift manager at Arby's trying to hang with his younger employees. Tragic

GuileBootCamp

Oct 27, 2017
Gambit was a mess of corny tropes from day one and didn't grow from that. Look at the long list of x-men and are any in the same place they been in since creation? Gambit is that dude that peaked in High school and now works as a shift manager at Arby's trying to hang with his younger employees. Tragic

Every damn superhero ever is corny. Every last one of them. If you don't like corny tropes, superheroes are not for you. They can be more, but that corniness is always there.

Every attempt at growth for Gambit since the mid-90s has occurred in solos/minis aside from All-New X-Factor, and been ignored or reverted when he shows up in the next book. The 2012 solo and X-Factor both did things to progress his character and weren't followed up on.

The Rogue & Gambit mini going now is attempting to move him forward as a character too and will probably be ignored and reverted as well because Marvel editorial sucks nowadays.

Also, his development in the Marjorie Liu X-23 solo has never been properly followed up on. I hope X-Men: Red fixes that.

Last edited:

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Channing is still on the crew. Everything depends on a damn proper director.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Please, just stop. No one other than 12 Gambit fans actually wants this movie.
Which is why it could work. When people 'want' things like batman v superman it usually ends up a disaster or at least highly polarizing.

Also im always a little puzzled that people think a humorous tone somehow makes a movie 'cookie cutter' for example, Thor and deadpool couldn't be more different from each other.

But this isn't just disneys fault or whatever. It's a dark time in the United States and people want to laugh. They need to laugh. Mass entertainment normally shifts to comedic in times like this, historically speaking. And there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean the whole thing will be funny or that their won't be dark moments.

Oct 27, 2017
True. And yet for anyone who grew up on 90's cartoons, Gambit is super cool as he was one of the more interesting characters in the Saturday morning X-Men TV show. He's far more popular than Deadpool ever was, despite his lack of success in the comics. Deadpool needed a push because no one who didn't know comics even had a clue who he was. People know who Gambit is and they like him already.

I'd be surprised if anyone unfamiliar with comics or the X-Men TV shows has any idea who Gambit is.

GuileBootCamp

Oct 27, 2017
The thing to take away from this thread: Never do anything that isn't already a huge global success because not enough people will know about it.

Nothing will ever become hugely successful unless it's already hugely successful.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have very high hopes for the movie lol. I really like Channing Tatum, but not sure he's the right guy for the character. I wonder if he will attempt the accent or just not even bother since Gambit has a pretty thick Cajun accent and could sound supper cheesy if not done right.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A real superhero heist movie would be a cool idea. Ant Man tried, but then chickened out in third act,.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
the prime time for a Gambit movie would have been 1995
johnny lee miller as gambit with a cajun accent would have been something else
there's no way he could have been made into a deadpool-level character so i'm glad they didn't even get to try

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Gore Verbinski's Gambit starring Channing Tatum sure would have been a sight to see though.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Once Upon a Deadpool had some joke about X-Force that kind of insinuated it wasn't happening anymore, but obviously that's not something to be taken at face value.