• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing more and more about this fucking Barry show.

Clearly I have to watch it now. Too bad getting HBO in Canada is literally a pain in multiple assholes.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Well put. This is the Captain Marvel "boycott" all over again. HBO is now cash rich and raring to go with more Game of Thrones-derived content.
I don't understand this. Game of thrones season 8 is objectively poorly written. Especially when compared to prior seasons. Anyone and everyone I've spoken to even on social media is really unhappy with season 8.

Being unhappy with 8 doesn't mean we aren't GoT fans or internet ragers or whatever else. The vast majority of fans didn't like it. I don't know one person out of probably 50 people I know who watched it that liked it. Reactions range from meh to wow that was terrible. Every single one of us wants more GoT content but hopefully it's not written at the trash tier that 8 was. That's all. It's why people are being vocal.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing more and more about this fucking Barry show.

Clearly I have to watch it now. Too bad getting HBO in Canada is literally a pain in multiple assholes.

Just get crave with HBO. It has HBOs entire catalog the same as the US and live HBO too.

HBO now is 15 USD and crave with HBO is 20 CAD a month so it works out the same after the currency conversion.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Yes. This is clearly why millions of people watched it.
I don't think you understand how series works or sunk cost fallacy or people in general if you think your post makes any kind of a point.

I didn't like most of season 8 and I was there watching it live every time even the finale.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean I'm 3 seasons behind and watched it, no fucks, wanted to see how it ended in person before getting spoiled by someone else. Will still finish the show though.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
the other is a family drama about rich white people

This is discounting Succession so hard that I don't even know where to begin.

S1 was some of the best television I have seen in years, but it got dismissed as that stupid rich people problems show.

Last edited:

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well put. This is the Captain Marvel "boycott" all over again. HBO is now cash rich and raring to go with more Game of Thrones-derived content.
Literally no one called for a boycott of GoT

We all knew damn well it was gonna make tons of money. Me and many others thought this season was complete dogshit yet we still watched each premiere

We had watched 70+ episodes, we might as well finish it

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I don't think you understand how series works or sunk cost fallacy or people in general if you think your post makes any kind of a point.

I didn't like most of season 8 and I was there watching it live every time even the finale.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the thinking that causes you to do that. You could have just not watched it. To be clear, I didn't watch the final season and don't know whether I ever will get around to watching it, and I don't even hate the show one tiny bit. I just had other things to do at the time.

Literally no one called for a boycott of GoT

We all knew damn well it was gonna make tons of money. Me and many others thought this season was complete dogshit yet we still watched each premiere

We had watched 70+ episodes, we might as well finish it

My comparison to the reaction to Captain Marvel wasn't intended to imply there was an attempted boycott. My apologies for that confusing reference. In referring to Captain Marvel I intended to focus on the disparity between a massive audience and a relatively small but highly motivated group of people who went around telling everybody they really hated it.

Both of you clearly have a strong and sincere distaste for the show, and I don't begrudge you expressing that. However I remain very sceptical of the notion that a show can achieve such numbers on disappointment and failure to satisfy.

Game of Thrones Nielsen numbers show a consistent season on season growth, the show has been critically acclaimed, and it has been nominated for awards. In the circumstances, it would be foolish to discount the possibility that these achievements are due to its excellence.

Last edited:

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Love it or hate it we were all glued to our seats lol

True. I didnt hate do much ss i was disappointed. But its par for the course really when it comes to tv, probably for most people.

I cant even think of tv series i loved that had a really goid ending. Either it was cancelled, or it lasted too long and the writers had no clue what to do, ir they just dropped the ball in the end.

Pushing daisies, canceled, rushed 5 minute ending. Heart warming, but still.

Deadwood, cut down before its time, though you could tell the writers werent sure where to go next.

Dead like me, also canceled.

Rome, rushed 2nd season, cancelled.

Lost, lost me about half way but i came back for the last season for that horrible ending.

Dexter, fantastoc first few seasons, again writers struggled at the end and man, that last episode.

Red dwarf... hmm actually i think later seasons got better, minus the later ending.

In fact comedies are pretty much the only exception for me.

The expanse is proba ly the only exception i can think of whe. It comes.to dramas.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The ad populum fallacy is strong in era, i see. Guys just because something is popular doesnt mean it doesnt have flaws or is beyond critisim. The. Criticism, i think to most people without their fingers in their ears, is reasonable.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The show was truly something special. Yeah I had problems with the last few seasons but I'm still sad to see it go.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And whoever says is just because its popular. The walking dead was popular but its viewerhip went down, not increased like got....

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And whoever says is just because its popular. The walking dead was popular but its viewerhip went down, not increased like got....

TWD is never going to end. That's the difference. GoT was announced as a concrete ending, and people watched. TWD is going to be milked forever by AMC, so people have given up and tuned out.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the thinking that causes you to do that. You could have just not watched it. To be clear, I didn't watch the final season and don't know whether I ever will get around to watching it, and I don't even hate the show one tiny bit. I just had other things to do at the time.

My comparison to the reaction to Captain Marvel wasn't intended to imply there was an attempted boycott. My apologies for that confusing reference. In referring to Captain Marvel I intended to focus on the disparity between a massive audience and a relatively small but highly motivated group of people who went around telling everybody they really hated it.

Both of you clearly have a strong and sincere distaste for the show, and I don't begrudge you expressing that. However I remain very sceptical of the notion that a show can achieve such numbers on disappointment and failure to satisfy.

Game of Thrones Nielsen numbers show a consistent season on season growth, the show has been critically acclaimed, and it has been nominated for awards. In the circumstances, it would be foolish to discount the possibility that these achievements are due to its excellence.
You're wrong I loved the show pre season 8. I arguably still really like the show especially if we remove season 8. Poor writing ruins the core of a good book or show or movie. It very rarely can be overcome. My wife and I have watched this show since before we were even a couple. We would text each other about it and it was one of the things we both enjoyed. If you can't discern the difference in quality between says seasons 1-6 and 8 idk what to tell you it's blatantly obvious.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You're wrong I loved the show pre season 8. I arguably still really like the show especially if we remove season 8.

As I think I already made clear, I haven't watched Season 8 (and may never do so). My puzzlement is caused by your vehemence over a season you openly admit you freely chose to watch. You could have waited and saved time and venom.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
True. I didnt hate do much ss i was disappointed. But its par for the course really when it comes to tv, probably for most people.

I cant even think of tv series i loved that had a really goid ending. Either it was cancelled, or it lasted too long and the writers had no clue what to do, ir they just dropped the ball in the end.

Deadwood, cut down before its time, though you could tell the writers werent sure where to go next.

[...]

The expanse is proba ly the only exception i can think of whe. It comes.to dramas.

Deadwood isn't done quite yet and how do you know about The Expanse, there isn't still another book yet to be written. British shows can often be short and sweet though.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Still blows me away how popular the Sopranos was. Will a show of that quality ever reach those heights again?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I feel like you don't understand this situation lol. I watched it in a room full of people and we were all very disappointed in this season. Why tf would we stop watching NOW?

You're right, I really don't understand why you and a room full of people wanted to watch a television show you no longer enjoy. That's just puzzling. Were there no walkouts?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this. Game of thrones season 8 is objectively poorly written. Especially when compared to prior seasons. Anyone and everyone I've spoken to even on social media is really unhappy with season 8.

Being unhappy with 8 doesn't mean we aren't GoT fans or internet ragers or whatever else. The vast majority of fans didn't like it. I don't know one person out of probably 50 people I know who watched it that liked it. Reactions range from meh to wow that was terrible. Every single one of us wants more GoT content but hopefully it's not written at the trash tier that 8 was. That's all. It's why people are being vocal.
I'm not sure "everyone I've spoken to, even on social media" = objective. Like, most of the people I've spoken to about it were either satisfied or more mixed with it. I wouldn't say that's an objective judgment of the episode though!

Rome, rushed 2nd season, cancelled.

Rome might be the reason why I'm not too bothered by the rushed pace in GoT's final season. I really liked Rome, all the way to the end, but they sped through several years of material in like a couple episodes there.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
People hated the season more and more each episode and viewership increased more and more. 19 million is insane, when you factor the piracy and illegal methods to watch it.

My opinion: season 8 was rushed, but it gave us episode 2-3-5 which were fantastic and gorgeous, episode 1 which was an ok introductory episode, and episode 6 which was a fitting Finale (if somewhat flat), only episode 4 sucked ass and i hated it. Saposhnik and djawani were Top Top tier. I think that it became a social trend to just hate the season (even if some of the hates were warrented somehow), but GOT at its worse is better than almost anything else elswhere.

GoT will be missed :(

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Overall I loved the show, just a shame that the ending was so sloppy and lazy. Pretty much all of these characters deserved better than what we got.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The gripes before episode 3 and beyond of this season were mostly from a vocal contingent of book readers.

The reception of episode 3 and beyond of this season was entirely different with tons of show only watchers just shitting on it.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Walking Dead is a weird beast that needs an intricate study on viewership data. Last season was the lowest viewed but one of the highest rated with critics. It has these weird upward and downward shufts after couple of seasons.