RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAmjcgmVAuI

Tamra Ransom thought she was one step closer to her American Dream when she purchased her home in Polk county, Florida in May 2023. But less than a year later, she had already listed her property — which she pumped all her savings into — for sale.

What caused that sad and sudden u-turn?

A property tax hike of 174%, which — when combined with other rising costs of homeownership, specifically soaring home insurance costs in the Sunshine State — means she cannot afford to keep her new home.

"I felt like I'd been baited and switched," she told WFLA-TV, implying that she bought the property without expecting the future costs of maintaining the property to be so different from what it was.

Here's how Ransom's annual property assessment caught her out — and what you should consider when your property is valued for tax purposes for the first time.

TRIM notice

Ransom's property tax pain all started when she received a Truth in Millage Rate (TRIM) notice in the post.

Florida homeowners receive a TRIM notice from their county property appraiser every year. These notices are required by state law and are typically mailed out in mid-August.

The primary purpose of a TRIM notice is to inform homeowners of the assessed "market value" (sometimes called "just value") of their properties as of January 1 of that year. There are many factors that are taken into consideration when evaluating the market value of the property, such as the size, location, and overall condition.

For new homeowners like Ransom, the first TRIM notice can cause quite the sticker shock.

When Ransom bought her home, the property tax was around $2,700, she told WFLA-TV, adding that she expected it to "vary a little bit, [maybe] a few hundred [to] a thousand dollars," but the 174% jump (which would take her annual property tax to around $4,700) was much beyond what she imagined.

"It's very upsetting because I put most of my savings into the house — the down payment, alarm systems and things like that," she said. "And I'm losing all of that because I have to sell the house — and I'm not going to get really anything back."

Beyond the initial pain of having to sell her home, Ransom also faces the trials and tribulations of finding somewhere else to live — at a time when both rental costs and mortgage rates are both painfully high.

'Buyer beware'

Ransom's shocking TRIM notice came as no surprise to local, St. Petersburg-based attorney, Michael Finn.

He told WFLA-TV: "This is definitely a buyer beware type of situation. [Property] values have soared, particularly anywhere near the water. Somebody that bought a house five-years-ago may realize a value increase of two to three times."

According to Zillow, the average home value in Polk County, where Ransom is based, in March 2024 was $313,845, up 1.6% from a year prior when the average home price was $308,708 and up 39% from three-years-ago, when the average was $225,341.

Having knowledge of local property values is key to understanding your TRIM notice. When you receive a TRIM notice, is it important to read it through thoroughly and check for any incorrect or missing information, as any mistakes could lead to an inaccurate assessment of your property, which could result in you having to pay more in property taxes.

If you have any concerns, you should contact your local property appraiser's office, typically within 30 days of receiving your letter. If, after consulting with your property appraiser, you still think your property's market value is incorrect, you can file a petition or appeal with your county through their value adjustment board.

"You can dispute it, but you're not going to win a significant decrease because the property assessor's office is very skilled at their valuations," Finn added. He also advised home buyers to reach out to their local property tax assessor to find out what their tax bill will be prior to signing on the dotted line.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
People have to let go of the "American Dream". It's gone and never coming back.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
So my rent is definitely going up again later this year. I make more money than ever and still live in the small studio I got when I was 23 because of unexpected layoffs and rent effectively doubling. And my place is still cheaper than most for what it includes so I can't even complain much. Just gotta keep saving and wait for some shoe to drop.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Something is off with this story, what did they sink all their savings in to "alarm system, things like that". Sounds like they overspent upgrading the house straight out of the gate.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think Canada has a maximum amount it can go up, which is pretty small. Its why Toronto and Vancouver property taxes are insanely low for older houses. However, if you do a major structural renovation or build a new house, those count as "improvements" and will obviously get adjusted when taxed. In this case I have no idea why her taxes went up so much since it says her house only went up 1.6% and I am assuming she didnt buy a new construction that was only taxed on land.

Oct 29, 2017
So my rent is definitely going up again later this year. I make more money than ever and still live in the small studio I got when I was 23 because of unexpected layoffs and rent effectively doubling. And my place is still cheaper than most for what it includes so I can't even complain much. Just gotta keep saving and wait for some shoe to drop.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. Didn't expect to be in the same little shoebox studio for so long, but I'd end up paying more than twice as much for a 1 bedroom around here. Even a sidegrade would cost way more.

Guess it's my fault for not being born 20 years earlier. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
People have to let go of the "American Dream". It's gone and never coming back.

This is more of a "Florida RE crisis" issue than a homeownership issue. My RE taxes and insurance has been pretty steady year-after-year. Then again, my home isn't near a beach in a state being hammered by climate change.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Home insurance going up so hard in Florida year over year make mortgages feel like 12 month leases with 5-10% rent increases year over year.

But for actual renters, it's making rent increases at the end of actual leases spike up so hard that it's outright unsustainable for both the populace and the state. It's disastrous.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on Reddit yesterday, I don't understand why they're calling a 174% increase, it's a 74% increase.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The surge in insurance rates I understand...but if the property tax is increased because the value of the house has increased, how the heck is she not getting anything back with the sale? Realtor fees?

rainier

Oct 19, 2023
Something is off with this story, what did they sink all their savings in to "alarm system, things like that". Sounds like they overspent upgrading the house straight out of the gate.

Yeah… an extra $2000/year doesn't seem worth the close of selling your house. If it's just about the property tax, she's spending more money getting her property ready for sale + relocation costs.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The downside of Florida's lack of income tax is sky high property taxes. Hillsborough charged me over $4k last year.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Florida is just a powder keg waiting to explode when it comes to home ownership. Property taxes and homeowners insurance are just insane there. The amount of people that moved there the past few years and are now getting this sticker shock and dealing with being dropped by homeowner companies and dialing with soaring coats, it's just not sustainable.

Homeowners insurance will continue getting horrendously worse every year as hurricanes are happening much, much more often now. The great Florida exodus will happen, much sooner than later. We sold our home last May in the Orlando area after having it for just under 3 years and made a decent chunk of change off of it that we were able to put into a new house that we moved into last month in upstate NY. The homeowners insurance is laughably cheap here (like $80 a month) we are so happy we made the move.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Why is property taxed in the first place? Haven't your dollars spent buying the house already been taxed?

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the assessed valuation was really low before she bought (maybe the previous owner bought during the post-2008 fire sale,) then the valuation got re-assessed after the sale.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
California prop 13, for all its problems, continues to be a thing that keeps people in their homes. These no income tax states have to turn the screws somewhere to bring in money and it is going to cause people to be homeless while billionaires get by with no income tax.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. Didn't expect to be in the same little shoebox studio for so long, but I'd end up paying more than twice as much for a 1 bedroom around here.

Guess it's my fault for not being born 20 years earlier. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Part of it is also just consequences for previous recklessness catching up with me at at a time when money is more important, but I'm also just thinking about how everything was so much cheaper pre pandemic.

10 years ago I graduated college was able to get my own crappy efficiency making like $1200 a month. Rent + Security Deposit was less than what I pay for rent now. Rent + Security Deposit for my current place is less than what I pay now. And now I'm thinking having my current salary in 2019 alone would've made all the difference.

I have no idea what we expect the generation coming out of college to do since you need a salary salary to get anything now.

Pay increases are nice, but that's not solving the fundamental problem with prices.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Yea this is because people look at states with no Income tax and don't understand what you save in income tax you pay in property taxes.

I live in Austin and my property taxes the first year were close to $11,000 after the pandemic bubble inflated prices everywhere.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017

Same, rented a room in an emergency when I lost the housing lottery in grad school. It was supposed to be a one year thing, then covid happened, and now I'm still there five years later and everything nearby is double or triple the price.

The wild thing is I have enough money for a downpayment on many of the houses around here and then some... but the mortgage and taxes would eat me alive.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
She bought a home for several hundred thousand dollars but an extra $160/month tax increase was catastrophic?

Something doesn't really add up here. Based on the headline I thought she'd be paying hundreds more per month. I guess she purchased right at the edge of affordable or something like that.

Home insurance is a serious fucking issue in Florida though. I know people whose rates have more than doubled, especially down in the peninsula.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a fairly low cost of living state but we have levees and stuff for school operation and property tax can be really tough even for my relatively small property.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
California prop 13, for all its problems, continues to be a thing that keeps people in their homes. These no income tax states have to turn the screws somewhere to bring in money and it is going to cause people to be homeless while billionaires get by with no income tax.
I mean Prop 13 should only be limited to primary resident. The issue is investment and commercial properties paying very little tax.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
If you can't afford a $2000 unexpected expense on your house, perhaps you shouldn't own a house in the first place? (I'd even argue it's a $1000 unexpected increase since it says she anticipated a variability from a few hundred to a thousand dollars).

As a renter who would love to own, we have held off to avoid buying because we want a safety net after buying so we can deal with unexpected costs that come with owning.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
People in general are probably seeing significant spikes because home values have gone up so much. My county reassess every 3 years. The taxes have gone up by 60% in five years (2 30% increases). My home value has shot up by just as much.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
New to Florida, first year in the house tax was low because the tax was based on just dirt and the land it was on. Once the home is built the tax goes up and you see it in the TRIM notice.

But we also filed a homestead exemptionso that way that adds some sort of discount or prevents it from going over a certain rate? Not 100% how that works

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
New to Florida, first year in the house tax was low because there was nothing built on the land yet. Once the home is built the tax goes up.

But we also filed a homestead so that way that adds some sort of discount or prevents it from going over a certain rate? Not 100% how that works

Takes off about 50k from assessed value I believe. This seems odd because she must have done no research on how property taxes work in Florida. It's pretty simple and I'm guessing her realtor never explained it. Taxes are based off assessed value from time of sale. If she bought and paid double what the previous person paid then yeah you can expect to have double the property tax.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Come to the burbs of KS…

Sky high income tax, sales tax, and property taxes! To be in the middle of effing nowhere, lol

Side note: people everywhere should be preparing for rocketing insurance rates. Pretty much every homeowner friend I have has seen insurance go up 30-50% in the last year or so.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The surge in insurance rates I understand...but if the property tax is increased because the value of the house has increased, how the heck is she not getting anything back with the sale? Realtor fees?
It sounds like she brought the house after the sale price went up, but before property taxes were reassessed on the property.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah… an extra $2000/year doesn't seem worth the close of selling your house. If it's just about the property tax, she's spending more money getting her property ready for sale + relocation costs.
I saw this story a week ago and it was super weird. It's going to cost her more money to sell her house than she would have had to spend on taxes. I didn't get it at all.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Why is property taxed in the first place? Haven't your dollars spent buying the house already been taxed?

Property taxes are how schools, fire, police, libraries, and most other public services and local governments in general are funded. Thus, you need revenue to support those services. Doing a pay once tax would collapse the ability for governments to do or support anything, and further enrich those who own a home versus those who don't (and they would probably be able to afford private fire insurance, etc). In your next local election, there's bound to be something about improving or maintaining a public service on the ballot. It should say how they plan to pay for it, which many times is either maintaining or increasing property tax over a period of time.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I factored in the expected cost of increased property tax when I purchased.
The first year you don't get the Homestead exemption so the there's no cap to the increase so I knew it was going to be a big jump. By the 2nd year the cap is in place.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. What killed it was this over focus as an investment instead of a social good.
IMO, home ownership should be an investment if the government is going to lock down how much inventory you're allowed to make. Like the government steps in and disallows apartments and condos in residential neighbourhoods then people cry foul when investors swoop in on the little inventory left and tax payments go up? Nahhhhh

Property taxes pay for municipal services. Suburbs = low density of tax payers. Yet the base costs of services isn't necessarily lower, and housing is kept artificially scarce from state/municipal governments so property values and taxes go ++++++++++

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
This might be a case where, if she just bought the house in the last year, she didn't file a homestead exemption for property taxes.

Polk County Appraisal website even mentions this:

Special Considerations

1. Homestead Exemption Timelag

If you purchase a home after January 1st, you may inherit the previous owner's Homestead Exemption and assessment limitation for that year. The following year, however, the homestead exemption and assessment limitation will be removed resulting in a higher assessed value.

If this property is your permanent residence to the exclusion of all others, you will have to file an original exemption application by March 1st. For additional information, please read our FAQ.

Obtaining a homestead exemption will qualify you for two tax benefits: (1) a reduction of up to $50,000 off of your assessed value and (2) beginning in the 2nd year, a limitation on any annual increase of your assessed value at no more than 3% regardless of the increase in the property's market value.

Please note that any final determination of eligibility for Homestead Exemption depends on applicable Florida law.

If you are buying a home in which the seller had a homestead exemption, you should be aware that the seller's assessed value may be artificially low due to the "Save Our Homes" limitation on the increase in assessed value. When the property is sold, this limitation is removed and the property is appraised at market value for the next tax year. This fact may result in a significant increase in taxes.

Seems a little silly to sell a house over this (surely she will lose more money in fees by selling this house and buying a new one?), but I don't know anything about her financial situation.

ZeroRay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this is with having a homestead exemption for the property?

A lot of these red states advertising escaping blue state tyranny forget to tell these people the government still needs money to do things.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a case where, if she just bought the house in the last year, she didn't file a homestead exemption for property taxes.

Polk County Appraisal website even mentions this:

Seems a little silly to sell a house over this (surely she will lose more money in fees by selling this house and buying a new one?), but I don't know anything about her financial situation.
That was my first thought, she didn't file for homestead exemption.

But it looks like it could also be that she just expected the same property taxes the previous owner paid. Since Florida property tax can only increase 3% per year and is reset to market value when the property is sold, that would result in a pretty big increase if the previous owner lived there for several years.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Homeowners are already getting massive government subsidies in the form of favorable loan terms, mortgage interest deduction from income tax, and no capital gains tax on the profit from selling. So I wouldn't really worry about asking if property tax is unfair.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
That was my first thought, she didn't file for homestead exemption.

But it looks like it could also be that she just expected the same property taxes the previous owner paid. Since Florida property tax can only increase 3% per year and is reset to market value when the property is sold, that would result in a pretty big increase if the previous owner lived there for several years.

Yeah I think that's what happened. That assessment cap of 3% a year was re-assessed to market value when the title was transferred to the new owner. So most likely as a new home buyer she got screwed.

Polk County mentions this as a warning:
If you are buying a home in which the seller had a homestead exemption, you should be aware that the seller's assessed value may be artificially low due to the "Save Our Homes" limitation on the increase in assessed value. When the property is sold, this limitation is removed and the property is appraised at market value for the next tax year. This fact may result in a significant increase in taxes.

I wonder if her realtor or whomever didn't inform her about this.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I don't know how Florida works, but in Massachusetts a jump that high could only be the result of substantial home improvements or rezoning. Prop 2 1/2 limits how much a town can tax a property unless the citizens vote to override it.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This was one thing I was dreading as we got closer to the end of the year.

But i think my loan guy set up our loan in such a way we didn't have to owe any taxes. In fact, looks like we overpaid in taxes so we are getting a refund.

We survived the first year thankfully. Amd with our homestead approved, we should be good.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
This happens on new builds. If they are built the same year you buy, taxes are appraised at land value only, due to there being no house when the appraisal occurs. The following year you get hit with the land and house value since it now exists at the time they do the appraisal. The difference in taxes will be thousands of dollars. Just reads like this lady spent everything she had to buy the house, had no emergency fund or anything left over.
This is just the case of someone who skipped pretty much every safety net and still bought a property.

As far as the homestead exemption, it can only be filed the year after you purchase the property (if it is after the appraisal occured), and it won't take affect until the 2nd tax period.